What happens to the apple tree from the first book?

Jolle

In the first book digory throws an apple and from the ground a tree grows up. Aslan says that the Whitch will not be able to near this tree because she ate an apple from the original tree, and when you have eaten one apple you will find the tree disgusting and will not be able to near it.

In The Lion, The Whitch, and the Wardrobe she is the queen of narnia? what happens to this tree? has it just got old and died long time ago or can anyone give an explanation of how Jadis can be in control of the country when this tree is in narnia? :confused:

That tree, to use a technical term, bit the big one.

There are fanfics devoted to that topic including my own splendid, superb, compelling, gripping, amazing work "Heart of Ice".

All right, so I may be just a wee bit biased.... ;)

John

"Fanfic" is an abbreviation for "fan fiction" - that is, stories that were written by fans of a work in the same fictional universe.

C.S. Lewis never wrote what eventually happpened to the Tree of Protection. When Magician's Nephew ends, the tree has just been planted, but when The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe opens, there's no tree and the Witch is in power. That's all we know.

We know from interviews with Lewis that when he wrote Lion, he never envisioned writing more Narnia books, and certainly didn't envision Magician's Nephew. All the later books, and the plot components they contain, were later additions.

Isn't it obvious?
:rolleyes:

The two trees (the original tree of protection and the tree which became the wordrobe on earth) are connected. That is why the wordrobe is magick, because it's connected to a narnia tree. When the earthen tree was destroyed in a storm (and made into a wordrobe), the narnian tree was also destroyed. One could say that possibly the narnian tree was destroyed first by magick and that's why a storm hit the earthen tree.

In the old religion, there are multiple worlds happening in the same place as ours and when you die you simply go to another world. They can still visit this world through warps (they appear as ghosts), as we can visit theirs through deep meditation (or sleep). It's alot like the narnia stories (which makes me wonder exactly what religion C.S. Lewis was), your body doesn't enter "narnia", just your spirit. The children never left the wordrobe, only their spirits did. It's explained more in the BBC version of Prince Caspian, when they are sitting at the railroad station and suddenlt their spirits stand up and fly away. They are physically still sitting on the bench. Just as when we dream, our bodies stay in bed but we leave our bodies and travel to different worlds. Some people dream of things they did that day, I dream about places I've never seen before and talk to people I remember are dead only after I wake. I've dreamt of places like narnia and Charn as a child, before I'd even read about them. When I read C.S. lewis' description of charn for the first time, my blood ran cold. I'v had a reoccuring dream about such a place for about 20 years, mind you I've only read the narnia not quite a year ago. maybe some other world does really exist, and Lewis saw it too?

To get back to subject, the old religion believes that everything that occurs in this world is the result or cause of an occurance in all others. And that is why the narnian tree was destroyed. Either a storm hit the earthen tree and destroyed the narnian tree, or the narnian tree was destroyed by magick (possibly by the witch) and the earthen tree was detroyed by a storm. Either way, I wonder if the entrance to narnia in lantern waste has anything to do with the earthen tree. I know the narnian tree wasn't grown there (i don't believe but maybe it was). Something must be connecting that place in lantern waste to the wordrobe for the entrance to be right there.

I found a part I never noticed before! I finished listening to my Magician's Nephew audio CD and at the end it states that the earthen tree never forgot the narnia tree it came from and would sometimes sway although there was no wind.

That's another reference to the old religion, as I've stated above. That sort of proves that the narnian tree was destroyed when the earthen tree was.

In the first book digory throws an apple and from the ground a tree grows up. Aslan says that the Whitch will not be able to near this tree because she ate an apple from the original tree, and when you have eaten one apple you will find the tree disgusting and will not be able to near it.

In The Lion, The Whitch, and the Wardrobe she is the queen of narnia? what happens to this tree? has it just got old and died long time ago or can anyone give an explanation of how Jadis can be in control of the country when this tree is in narnia? :confused:

She was in 'control' of Narnia ( but that was merely illusionary control, for Aslan was the true ruler) by magic...dark magic or black magic. No one knows what happened to this tree but I am assuming that it didn't live forever in Narnia as no tree does...although it's possible it was just very, very old.

Isn't it obvious?
:rolleyes:
... Either way, I wonder if the entrance to narnia in lantern waste has anything to do with the earthen tree. I know the narnian tree wasn't grown there (i don't believe but maybe it was). Something must be connecting that place in lantern waste to the wordrobe for the entrance to be right there.

Isn't it obvious?
:D

Of course it grew there, just near the lamp-post. That's why it's called Lantern Waste ... it is mentioned in TMN as well as in LWW.
That's a point that occures to me only now :) : the lantern, planted by Jadis, is just near the tree of protection - problems are bound to come sooner or later

And also there is said sth. about why Jadis came to her power; I think Narnia fell into sin or at least forgot some old traditions ... and that humans have to rule the land obviously has been forgotten/neglected for quite a long time. At least the winter is only about a century old, there are still animals who remember the time before it.

I think teh tree in Narnia fell before the one in London, but this is only my opinion, no proof

I didn't remember exactly if the tree grew near the lantern, but that would make sense as to why the opening from the wordrobe is at the lantern. About Lantern Waste, I understand what the lantern part is about but what exactly is "waste". Is that meaning garbage? LOL.

And don't forget, when digory planted the tree on earth, he also planted the rings around it. Maybe the roots went through the rings?

The tree that stands

Who ever said something happened to the tree?

Digory and Polly planted a tree in Narnia.

One tree.

Now, if you lived in a place with thousands, maybe millions, of trees, would you remember a specific one? I cannot be sure of where the tree stands, or who live near it, but I can be sure of one thing. The tree still lives.

If it did not, Narnia would once again be the white world it was during the Long Winter. This question was a wise one, but do not despair for Narnia, as they are still protected, not only by the tree, but by Aslan. LONG LIVE KING ASLAN!

There is a mention of the Tree of Protection in The Last Battle. Read in the Chapter "The Rashness of the King". A large forest grew up around it.

MrBob

That tree, to use a technical term, bit the big one.

There are fanfics devoted to that topic including my own splendid, superb, compelling, gripping, amazing work "Heart of Ice".

All right, so I may be just a wee bit biased.... ;)

John

I like EveningStar's fanfiction explaining it.

Back