what they got right

Benisse

Perelandrian
Staff member
Royal Guard
Although there were many places in this movie that missed the mark (and even missed the original book!), there were some moments in Voyage of the Dawn Treader that were gems.

For example, I loved the scene of with the painting with Eustace being so obnoxious, and the flooding of the room as he and Lucy and Edmund were drawn into Narnia...

What were your favorite scenes?

I liked both the entrance and exit into Narnia with the room filling up with water and then draining of water, leaving everyone and everything dry and back in place.

MrBob

I too liked the picture more than I thought I would. It was easy (for me) to be negative when the trailer came out, but I ended up really liking the first (act?) of the film, up until the Lone Islands. Later, remarkable attention was given to dragon Eustace. His flight looked realistic, and while the design of his creature was something different (less of a traditional dragon look), it really worked well; the scene on the beach with Reepicheep and him was precious.

Sarah, I totally agree. That scene with Reep heading to Aslan's country is simply beautiful.

One of the things they got right was sheer atmosphere and ambience. Watching "Dawn Treader" FELT LIKE being in the Narnian world.

It's very hard for me to not point out what they got wrong, but I will say I was impressed they left the final line Aslan has in the end. Just that line changed my personal rating from a 2/10 to a 5/10.

^^^^^ Yes, this!

I was afraid that, in the spirit of "Coexist" bumper stickers, they would make Aslan say, "I am in your world too, and I have MANY names."

It's a very minor one, but I liked that they recycled the "England" costumes for Peter and Susan from the first film for Edmund and Lucy . Not just because World War II is going on, and in fact rationing last long after the War ended in England making brand new clothes for the two younger siblings a luxury, not a necessity, it's not uncommon in families even to day to use hand-me-downs to save money.

I was wearing my older sister's hand-me-downs even in the 1990's:D

I do think they got the casting for Eustace just right in this film. I thought Will Poulter was an inspired choice for Eustace.

I also liked the detail at the end about Jill Pole coming over. That would have been a cool link between a Voyage of the Dawn Treader movie and a Silver Chair one if this movie series had continued.

I also really liked what was done with the ship itself. It looked exactly like how I imagine a Narnian ship would've.

Back