2015 Narnian Quote Calendar Project!

Benisse

Perelandrian
Staff member
Royal Guard
Open Call for collaborators for a Narnian Quote Calendar 2015!!

This is not a contest, but is an opportunity for creative volunteers to work together to design a Narnian Quote Calendar for 2015. You can participate as a quote finder, a designer for quote of the month calendar art, or both roles if you wish. You can design up to 2 pages of calendar art, depending on how many people sign up to do so. But you can nominate as many favorite quotes as you wish --from any of the 7 Chronicles of Narnia without limit-- during October.

What to do:

1. In October: Pick a favorite quotation from any of the Chronicles of Narnia and share it to this thread. Start posting them now with the following info for each quote: quote + who said it + in which of the Chronicles it occurs.[/B] We will vote on the favorite quotes suggested in a poll at the beginning of November. Then 12 top vote-getters will be announced on 11/11/14, and each will be paired to a particular month to be illustrated. (See #2 below)

2. In November
Note: Please use original art and photos rather than googleimages or another's work. And of course the quote you are illustrating needs to appear in your design somewhere.

Starting November 12, 2014, please sign up for a quote/month to illustrate with your original art, incorporating the quote of the month as well as a monthgraphic:
Here is a link for month graphics to include in each page, too, along with the quote for the month. (Note: if you'd rather use a different month graphic that is okay.)

Designs are due preferably before December 26, 2014 -- or at least before their month elapses.

Here are the pages that are available for illustration:

Cover, 2015 Narnian Quote Calendar, Benisse

___ January - In the darkness something was happening at last. A voice had begun to sing. It was very far away and Digory found it hard to decide from what direction it was coming. Sometimes it seemed to come from all directions at once. Sometimes he almost thought it was coming out of the earth beneath them. Its lower notes were deep enough to be the voice of the earth herself. There were no words. there was hardly even a tune. But it was, beyond comparison, the most beautiful noise he had ever heard. Magician's Nephew [volunteer designer's name]

___ February - I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia. Silver Chair [volunteer designer's name]

March - But four babies playing a game can make a play-world which licks your real-world hollow. Silver Chair Benisse

___ April - "Look! Look! Look!" cried Lucy.
"Where? What?" said everyone.
"The Lion," said Lucy. "Aslan himself. Didn't you see?" Her face had changed completely and her eyes shone. Prince Caspian [volunteer designer's name]

___ May - [Shasta] had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another harder and better one. Horse and His Boy [volunteer designer's name]

___ June - "Isn't it wonderful?" said Lucy. "Have you noticed one can't feel afraid, even if one wants to? Try it."
"By Jove, neither one can," said Eustace after he had tried. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader [volunteer designer's name]

___ July - There once was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader [volunteer designer's name]

August - "Logic!" said the Professor half to himself. "Why don't they teach logic at these schools?" The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe Sir Tom the Dragon Knight

___ September - Make the choice, adventurous stranger,
Strike the bell and 'bide the danger.
Or wonder, until it drives you mad,
What would have followed if you had! The Magician's Nephew Barbarian King

___ October - She has won her hearts desire, endless youth and length of days, like a goddess. But, length of days with an evil heart is only length of misery, and already she begins to know it. All get what they want, but they don't always like it. The Magician's Nephew [volunteer designer's name]

___ November - "I daren't come and drink," said Jill.
"Then you will die of thirst," said the Lion.
"Oh dear!" said Jill, coming another step nearer. "I suppose I must go and look for another stream then."
"There is no other stream," said the Lion. The Silver Chair [volunteer designer's name]

___ December - In our world too, a Stable once had something inside it that was bigger than our whole world. The Last Battle [volunteer designer's name]

3. Then post your design to this thread (preferably by December 26, 2014!). Please remember to incorporate a calendar image of your month in your design, using landscape orientation 280 pixels tall and 600 pixels wide.

Once the quotes are voted on and announced 11/11/14 (as to which quote will be given to which month) you can start signing up to do month/quote art. I will update this page as to who is doing what as volunteers come forward, so check back often!

Here is a link to the C.S. Lewis Quote Calendar we collaborated on for 2011, to give you an idea of what I am talking about... And this is what we have so far. Thanks for your help!!

Let the fun begin!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is, I think, my favorite quote from all the Chronicles, one that has fortified me at critical times in my life, and inspires me to this day:
[Shasta] had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another harder and better one.
The speaker is the narrator, and it's found in the chapter The Hermit of the Southern March, in The Horse And His Boy.

You stole my favorite!!!

I'll just have to go with my _second_ favorite. This is "narrator's voice," at the start of The Silver Chair, referring to conditions at Experiment House:

"Unfortunately, what some eight or ten of the biggest boys and girls liked best was bullying the others."

“I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.”

From the Silver Chair.

That was Puddleglum, from his soliloquy to the Emerald Witch. Which is right near another of my favorite quotes, also from Puddleglum:
But four babies playing a game can make a play-world which licks your real-world hollow.

Good old Puddleglum!

Here are some of my favorite quotes, all turning points in their stories:

from the Magician's Nephew --
In the darkness something was happening at last. A voice had begun to sing. It was very far away and Digory found it hard to decide from what direction it was coming. Sometimes it seemed to come from all directions at once. Sometimes he almost thought it was coming out of the earth beneath them. Its lower notes were deep enough to be the voice of the earth herself. There were no words. there was hardly even a tune. But it was, beyond comparison, the most beautiful noise he had ever heard.

From The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe:
"Of course I will," said the Faun. "Of course I've got to. I see that now. I hadn't known what Humans were like before I met you. Of course I can't give you up to the Witch , not now that I know you..."

from The Horse and His Boy:
The Horse had lifted its head. Shasta stroked its smooth-as-satin nose and said, "I wish you could talk, old fellow."
And then for a second he thought he was dreaming, for quite distinctly though in a low voice, the Horse said, "But I can."

from Prince Caspian:
"Look! Look! Look!" cried Lucy.
"The Lion," said Lucy. "Aslan himself. Didn't you see?" Her face had changed completely and her eyes shone.

from Voyage of the Dawn Treader:
"Aslan!" said Eustace. "I've heard that name mentioned several times since we joined the Dawn Treader. And I felt -- I don't know what -- I hated it. But I was hating everything then. And by the way, I'd like to apologize. I'm afraid I've been pretty beastly."

from The Silver Chair:
"I daren't come and drink," said Jill.
"Then you will die of thirst said the Lion.
"Oh dear!" said Jill, coming another step nearer. "I suppose I must go and look for another stream then."
"There is no other stream," said the Lion.

from The Last Battle:
"Please, please," said the high voice of a woolly lamb, who was so young that everyone was surprised he dared to speak at all.

From MN: (Aslan speaking to Digory and Polly): "She has won her hearts desire, endless youth and length of days, like a goddess. But, length of days with an evil heart is only length of misery, and already she begins to know it. All get what they want, but they don't always like it."

(If this is too long, you can cut out the first part and just start at "Length of days....").

Well for December I suggest one of my seasonal favorites I had posted in the Narnia Quote Thread:

"In our world too, a Stable once had something inside it that was bigger than our whole world."

which was said by Queen Lucy to King Tirian in TLB

"Isn't it wonderful?" said Lucy. "Have you noticed one can't feel afraid, even if one wants to? Try it."

"By Jove, neither one can," said Eustace after he had tried.

"There once was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it."

I think that's verbatim. :p It's my favorite book opening ever. :D

"There once was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it."

I think that's verbatim. :p It's my favorite book opening ever. :D

"Make the choice, adventurous stranger,
What would have followed if you had!"

The words on the bell and hammer in the great palace of Charn, which awakened Jadis from her own magically induced sleep. Digory attempted to blame her magic on his decision to strike the bell, roughly manhandling Polly, who had opposed this course of action, in the process, but he admitted to Aslan that that was an excuse for his own poor choice of action.

"Logic!" said the Professor half to himself. "Why don't they teach logic at these schools?"

This quote from "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" resonates deeply with me because it expounds upon the importance of thinking critically and examining every side and possibility of a thing. In life experience, I have found that many of the greatest mistakes people make are a result of not thinking with deep enough logic. For example, I recently served on a jury trial where a large number of the jurors would have made an unjust ruling simply because they wanted to go based on emotions instead of logic and the facts. By God's grace, I and two other jurors (one who just happened to be my father) were able to persuade enough of the jury to rule based on truth, preventing a terrible injustice from being committed against a good man.

Last edited:
Quote Ballot

Since Polls only allow 10 options, here is a ballot. Copy it and Vote for any 6 of the following 18 quotes for the Narnia Quotes Calendar between now and 11/11 at noon. Then post your ballot to this thread. I will add votes as they come in day by day to this post.
-------------------------------------------------------------
BALLOT
1 __ 2 __ 3 __ 4 __ 5 __ 6 __
7 __ 8 __ 9 __ 10__ 11__ 12__
13__ 14__ 15__ 16__ 17__ 18__
Note: The 18 quotes under consideration for the 2015 Narnian Quotes Calendar are all listed at the end of this post below the Tally.

TALLY
1 _2_
2 __
3 _4_
4 _3_
5 _3_
6 __
7 _1_
8 _1_
9 __
10_2_
11__
12_3_
13_1_
14_4_
15_2_
16_4_
17_1_
18_5_
1. [Shasta] had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another harder and better one.
2. "Unfortunately, what some eight or ten of the biggest boys and girls liked best was bullying the others."

3. “I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.”

4. But four babies playing a game can make a play-world which licks your real-world hollow.

In the darkness something was happening at last. A voice had begun to sing. It was very far away and Digory found it hard to decide from what direction it was coming. Sometimes it seemed to come from all directions at once. Sometimes he almost thought it was coming out of the earth beneath them. Its lower notes were deep enough to be the voice of the earth herself. There were no words. there was hardly even a tune. But it was, beyond comparison, the most beautiful noise he had ever heard.

6. "Of course I will," said the Faun. "Of course I've got to. I see that now. I hadn't known what Humans were like before I met you. Of course I can't give you up to the Witch , not now that I know you..."

7. The Horse had lifted its head. Shasta stroked its smooth-as-satin nose and said, "I wish you could talk, old fellow."
And then for a second he thought he was dreaming, for quite distinctly though in a low voice, the Horse said, "But I can."

"Look! Look! Look!" cried Lucy.
"The Lion," said Lucy. "Aslan himself. Didn't you see?" Her face had changed completely and her eyes shone.

"Aslan!" said Eustace. "I've heard that name mentioned several times since we joined the Dawn Treader. And I felt -- I don't know what -- I hated it. But I was hating everything then. And by the way, I'd like to apologize. I'm afraid I've been pretty beastly."

10. "I daren't come and drink," said Jill.
"Then you will die of thirst said the Lion.
"There is no other stream," said the Lion.

11. "Please, please," said the high voice of a woolly lamb, who was so young that everyone was surprised he dared to speak at all.

12. "She has won her hearts desire, endless youth and length of days, like a goddess. But, length of days with an evil heart is only length of misery, and already she begins to know it. All get what they want, but they don't always like it."

13. "Miss Prizzle, there's a LION!!!"

14. "In our world too, a Stable once had something inside it that was bigger than our whole world."

15. "Isn't it wonderful?" said Lucy. "Have you noticed one can't feel afraid, even if one wants to? Try it."
"By Jove, neither one can," said Eustace after he had tried.

16. "There once was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it."

17. "Make the choice, adventurous stranger,
What would have followed if you had!"

18. "Logic!" said the Professor half to himself. "Why don't they teach logic at these schools?"

re: Quote Ballot

X1 __2 ___3 __4 __5 __6 __7 __8 __9
x10 __11 x12 __13 x14 __15 x16 __17 x18

Back