The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Eagle and Child > C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis All things C.S. Lewis

Old 02-17-2012, 01:28 AM
blest to bless

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice

Welcome Enpy -- Thanks so much for joining us
I know I should be up to Letter vi but I am just now getting to #iii & iv--

It's interesting but with my real life being so complicated right now, I have fallen for some of Screwtape's tricks -- rushed ritual prayers instead of times of really connecting with God, and rather shallow canned prayer requests on the fly rather than really seeking God's goodness and will for those around me and for the real challenges they face (or for myself). Oops!!

I guess I need to be more like Martin Luther, who said that when he was Really Extra busy he would spend an extra hour or so in prayer... or at least I need to be living more in a constant open attitude of prayerful dependence on God, that "real nakedness of the soul" mentioned at the end of Letter iv...

And thank you Inky for understanding when surgery next week gets me more behind. A friend of mine from another prayer group I am in had a very similar case history to mine, i.e., 2 unrelated cancers 21 years apart. So I am having the same procedures as she had, and she said the first week she couldn't do much of anything at all. So if I am scarce, that will be why. Thanks for carrying on... I'm really enjoying this book and appreciate getting to go through it with you even for a little bit.

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus

Last edited by Benisse; 02-17-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:06 AM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of light

I can't be certain, but I suspect that Enpy is actually a good lady whom I have met in real life. And Benisse: yes, "mechanical" praying, though probably still better than no praying at all, IS a trap to be avoided.

+ + + + + + + + + + +

NOW AVAILABLE!! For those who have shown interest in my past music ministry, somebody has made a YouTube video of a song I wrote the words for! Lead vocal is Kevin S. Johnson, but I'm singing on there too. Recorded in 1976.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8fOz...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

Thanks for kicking this up CF -- I am afraid I let the reading group fall through the cracks while Benisse has been recovering! I will try to get back to it and post some thoughts soon. Anyone else still reading?
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly
Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Pandawan

MissReepicheep is just really niceMissReepicheep is just really niceMissReepicheep is just really niceMissReepicheep is just really niceMissReepicheep is just really nice

I finished the book a while ago. I loved it! I enjoyed it even more than I expected, and can't believe it took me this long to get around to reading such a great book.

I made my banner and avatar.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:55 PM
blest to bless

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice

Congrats D -- glad you liked the book. Okay, I'm recovered enough to be able to read and think at the same time. So I will start posting some reflections to this thread again although I am way behind schedule... Tonight I'll rejoin the real live Screwtape Letters group I'm in and then write up some notes soon.

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus

Old 03-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

Great, thanks -- I finished the book, too, but I didn't make any notes to post, so I will have to go back and look at the chapters again ... Glad you're feeling much better, Benisse!
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly