The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Stone Table > Prayer Requests

Notices

Prayer Requests Need Prayers? We're here for you!

Old 09-30-2017, 10:27 PM
Friend of Narnia

Aravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really nice
Default Job + Life in General

Hi all,
I rarely make an appearance here (real life takes the fun out of that don't ya know), but I've got a couple of requests. First, I'm currently job searching. Again. I haven't lost my current job, but I'm feeling extremely burned out and I NEED a different job. Stressing about if my checks will cover my rent/bills each month, if I'll have enough to eat more than PB&J sandwiches, or if my cat gets sick will I have enough to pay for the treatment, is wearing. me. out. Add to that going back to school, getting kicked off my parents' health insurance in December (I turn 26 and can't afford my own insurance)...you get the idea. I just need a job where I'm full time, maybe with some benefits, where I don't have to worry about if I'll have worked enough hours in a given two weeks to cover my rent for the month. Plus I'd like to be independent of my parents and I don't want them paying my way the rest of my foreseeable life.

I've so far applied to 2 jobs; I had an interview for one last Tuesday and applied for another one tonight. I haven't heard back from my interview, and doubt that I will. It's frustrating when I have a bachelor's degree AND a license and I can't do anything with it, or I'm barely making more than minimum wage. it's ridiculous.

And life in general...pretty self-explanatory. I'm not sure because I refuse to see a doctor, but I might be suffering from some depression. I'm NOT suicidal by any means, but all the things in my current situation are not adding up to me being happy. I think part of it's tied to my spiritual life as well right now. Anyway. I've considered talking to one of my good friends who is studying to be a licensed Biblical counselor, but I just haven't figured out the right way to approach the topic.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:01 PM
Scourge of Squirreldom

Glenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to all

I'll pray that you are able to find a better job. The employment market isn't fun right now, that's for sure.

As to the possible depression...it's a good idea to talk to someone, although I would personally be cautious about the sort of biblical counseling that tries to boil all mental problems down to sin or spiritual immaturity. My undergrad college taught that in most of its psychology classes, and that approach was eventually shown to have caused some problems in how the school responded to trauma victims (probably others, as well) who approached faculty and staff members for counseling. In any case, definitely talk to other people; that can make a lot of difference in how you feel. I pray that God will give you peace as you look for a way to improve your financial situation.

He marked the wood and the cloven ways
With an old captain's eyes,
And he thought how many a time had he
Sought to see Doom he could not see;
How ruin had come and victory,
And both were a surprise.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:00 PM
Friend of Narnia

Aravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really nice

Well I do think *part* of my issue IS due to my sinfulness and lack of spiritual walk right now (I think there is some aspect of a mental illness in depression that's NOT due to sin but to physiology or whatever). But I also trust the people I'd be confiding in as far as their stance on things, and primarily I want to know if just talking about it openly with others I trust will help alleviate it. I don't want to be medicated for it because I don't think it's to that point yet. I just don't want it to GET to that point, ya know?

Still waiting to hear back from the job I applied for on Saturday. It's a government job though so I imagine the response will be slow.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:42 PM
Scourge of Squirreldom

Glenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to all

From what I hear about the side effects of most psychological medications, you're probably much better off if you can avoid them.

What kind of jobs are you looking into? Salary aside.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:59 PM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice

Dear AravisK,
((hugs))
I pray that God's loving truth and peace would speak to you above and beyond all the stress and drudgery and uncertainty and anxieties roiling about you. I pray for discernment and for the right people to talk to, and for a job you will enjoy waking up in the morning for ...with insurance before the end of the year... and for good health for both you and your cat Bilbo. I pray for restful sleep and verses and songs that will encourage you as you drift off each night. (And I threw in some prayers for healthy Eating too, okay?)

Worry is like a rutted track and the more your thoughts run along the muddy path the ruts get deeper and deeper; and it's as if they can suck you down while you are going nowhere.

Psalm 40:2
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus

Old 10-04-2017, 08:24 PM
Friend of Narnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenburne View Post
From what I hear about the side effects of most psychological medications, you're probably much better off if you can avoid them.

What kind of jobs are you looking into? Salary aside.
Ideally I'd like to be in a (veterinary) diagnostic lab, but without moving there's no way that can really happen. I did apply to a vet diagnostic lab here in town, but so far I've heard nothing (and quite honestly the salary is not much better than what I currently make now). I actually interviewed with an insurance agency. I don't really want to sell insurance (at least like car insurance and the like, this was health insurance and not your typical run of the mill health insurance), but the salary and benefits would have compensated for the type of job. I feel like I'd be good at clerical work, which is NOT at all what I went to school for, but considering I only make about $21,000/year (at best), I'd like to make at least $5-10,000 more/year than what I make now. If I stay in school and get accepted to this program in the spring, when I graduate theoretically I'd be making twice what I make now. However, my mom has told me that if I can't find an evening job that pays enough to pay my rent, I'll have to live at home (again) and go to a program near by. Which I don't want to do, and I'd rather work 2-3 jobs, never sleep, and eat PB&J all the time rather than live with my parents again and go to school. My mom and I don't get along long-term because I lived w/ them a year after graduation and we were all miserable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benisse View Post
Dear AravisK,
((hugs))
I pray that God's loving truth and peace would speak to you above and beyond all the stress and drudgery and uncertainty and anxieties roiling about you. I pray for discernment and for the right people to talk to, and for a job you will enjoy waking up in the morning for ...with insurance before the end of the year... and for good health for both you and your cat Bilbo. I pray for restful sleep and verses and songs that will encourage you as you drift off each night. (And I threw in some prayers for healthy Eating too, okay?)

Worry is like a rutted track and the more your thoughts run along the muddy path the ruts get deeper and deeper; and it's as if they can suck you down while you are going nowhere.

Psalm 40:2
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
Thanks, Benisse. I've actually made plans with a couple of friends to meet for breakfast on Saturday and I'm hoping I can say the right things.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:32 AM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice

I'm praying for your breakfast, Aravisk...

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus

Old 10-14-2017, 05:05 PM
Friend of Narnia

It actually went very well. One friend is basically where I am as far as job, and both were understanding as far as my emotional state. Nothing is certainly solved, but to have it confessed between friends has helped some.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:55 PM
Scourge of Squirreldom

I'm glad you were able to get it off your chest. Just being able to talk about problems around people who won't be judgmental makes a huge difference, even if they can't actually do anything.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:31 PM
Pandawan

MissReepicheep is a glorious beacon of lightMissReepicheep is a glorious beacon of lightMissReepicheep is a glorious beacon of lightMissReepicheep is a glorious beacon of lightMissReepicheep is a glorious beacon of light

Aravis, I was just thinking about you the other day. I'm glad you got back on the forum. I will be praying for you as you struggle with job-searching and your emotional state. I'm glad that you have supportive people in your life who are helping you cope with your challenges, and I'll pray that God will provide a good job for you and use this period of life to draw you closer to Him. I don't mean that in a trite way, either -- I hope that this difficult period of your life will not only end, but be redeemed and seem worth the struggle.

I made my banner and avatar.