Beta Reading Society

Hey, now this is something I know I could do. And I definitely think we should change the name of this thread. It was sitting here stickied all this time and I had no clue what it was!

Name: Grace (SweetWaters)
Writer limit: Sorry, I am unavailable at this time.
Critiquing style: Moderate concerning plotlines, but extremely blunt concerning grammar and language
Genre preferred: Practically anything, but I particularly enjoy "happy-endings." :D I do not read fanfics unless they are strictly compatible with the works they are based on. Note: If you are working with a Narnia or Middle-earth background, I might be able to help you reconcile your story with the books.
Promptness of edit: 3-4 days
Specifications: I do proofreading for a local homeschool newsletter and my dad's website. I have also won a few small writing awards for research papers.
Strengths: My family knows me for a "grammar control freak.":rolleyes: I can almost guarantee that I will catch 99% of spelling, grammar, and mechanics problems. I also know what makes language work, and I will be very honest in telling you if something does not make any sense. I am an attentive reader and can catch potential plot errors and contradictions.
Weaknesses: I have a busy life, and you will probably have to be patient for me to get back to you. I will notify you if I am going to take longer than 4 days.
Submission details: Anything that works for you
Current subscribers to service: none

Last edited:
I would like to try this...I am very literature oriented, so I would like to try this.

Name: FF, would be the simplest.
Writer limit: 2
Critiquing style: Moderate, I try as hard as I can to be polite. I have been in the writer's shoes, so I know how it can feel.
Genre preferred: I'd prefer action, adventure, fantasy, futuristic genres. just no romance please.
Promptness of edit: 1-2 days, unless I state otherwise.
Specifications: I have attempted and succeeded many times in writing my own works, so I am well rounded in proofreading and working with plots. I have always enjoyed helping others, so it would be a pleasure to help someone with their writing.
Strengths: As I stated above, I am well rounded in proofreading and story lines, and I am almost always ready to help someone with their grammar and spelling.
Weaknesses: My lifestyle can get hectic at times and sometimes a little sporadic, so if I don't reply right away, I will PM you and let you know what happened.
Submission details: Preferably through PMs.
Current subscribers to service: I am happily editing Elindil's latest work.

Please note: I am not trying to sound haughty, snobbish or mocking. These are the words I have chosen to use and they are not meant to make anyone look or feel bad. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hey. I just started putting a story that I've written up here. It's called Broken. = ) I would love if you'd take a look at it and edit it for me. Your help would be much appreciated (sp?). = ) Any advise would be well excepted. I wouldn't mind if you critiqued right off the forum. It sounds good to me. = ) That you very much and God bless.

~Jesusfreak

Name: Lost Dreamer, mAndy, LD--whatever works for you.

Writer limit: Two

Critiquing style: I'm best at a harsh line edit, where I critique the actual bulk that makes up your writing. However, I can also read a story for plot, or just to tell you what I think you're good at or what you need to work on.

Genre preferred: anything besides spoofs or fan-fics. My favorite genre's are speculative fiction, thriller, or sci-fi. I might accept a fan-fic, and then again, I might not.

Promptness of edit: Usually within a few days.

Specifications: I've been a beta for around five people so far. I'm a recently published writer, but don't assume that makes me an expert! If you're serious about writing and improving your craft--even if it hurts some--then i'm your gal.

Strengths: Modesty in mind, I have been told I do decent work writing and as far as I can tell, people have been satisfied with my editing. That aside, I plain, flat out enjoy editing. It's just fun.

Weaknesses: I can be blunt, especially if i'm working on a genre I don't like. As long as you specify what kind of critique you want I can work within those specifications...but like I said, I can be blunt.

Submission details: Anything goes for me. What I like best is if you post the actual story, and I can critique it right here on the forum. If that makes you uncomfortable, then email is my second choice.

Current subscribers to service: I had one who asked, I agreed, but then dropped off the radar. Right now I'm open to someone who needs me.

If you'd like me as your beta-reader, just send me a quick PM. :)

mAndy

Name: pink-cheetah, Cheetah, Pinky, P-C, whatever floats your boat. (Man, I need to change that. Er- Christy is fine.)

Writer limit: Two, depending on the proportion of the story and how much assistance the writer needs.

Critiquing style: Depends. I can be extremely blunt, though I will not outright say "I didn't like this-and-this", but I normally will end with some positive comments. I don't like to waste words, and I don't think that it benefits the reader or the writer to simply say "Well, it was good." and leave it at that. Everyone can improve (and this includes me), since writing is always a learning process.

Genre preferred: Romance, action/adventure, humour, parody, fantasy, drama, mystery, angst, suspense, sci-fi, certain fanfiction. You get my drift.

Promptness of edit: It could take up to a week. Ideally, I would get it back to you within the first few days, but there's no telling how my daily scedule goes. I would try my best, though.

Specifications: I beta-read for FF.net and real-life friends. I've written short stories (under 5K words) and am working on a longer story in my spare time. I take writing classes, so I am certainly not unsupervised in my work, so if ever there is something in question.... well. XD

Strengths: I am a grammar machine. My main strength lies in the mechanics of a story. We're talking continuity, format, style, character development etc. I'm good at asking what the author is trying to communicate to the reader, that sort of stuff (no thanks to Adler and Van Doren).

Weaknesses: I can tend to procrastinate, or sometimes I can get too caught up in the story and forget to give feedback (though, in this case, it shouldn't be a problem). I also sometimes lack imagination, which can be a it of a problem as a writer.

Submission details: Preferably sent in a Word document, where I can do the "Track Changes" feature and then shoot it back to you. The body of an email is fine too. I'd like to communicate through email. However, if you can' give out your email or whatever, AIM or Y!IM or private message is great too.

Current subscribers to service: None, as of now.

Looking for a Beta Reader for my fan-fiction. It'll be a chapter story, how many chapters, I don't know as of yet. I've begun working on it and the first chapter shall be finished soon.

Thanks in advance.

Name: Inkling, Inky, Ink, Jules, J., Juliet...
Writer limit: 3 at a time, please
Critiquing style: moderate to blunt, depending on the day and the readily available amount of chocolate :).
Genre preferred: any genre, particularly drama/romance/history
Promptness of edit: approximately 48 hours, sooner on weekends
Specifications: English major (MA in Literature), erstwhile English teacher (7th grade-Senior), Professional Writing Tutor (3 years)
Strengths: Conventions (Spelling, Grammar), Word Choice, Organization, Plot
Weaknesses: A tendency towards nitpicking (I do wield the English Teacher's Pen of DOOM :D-mine is blue and sparkly)
Submission details: Word attachment preferably, but I'll accept PM as well
Current subscribers to service: None yet :).

In search of a C S Lewis quote!- help!

Does anyone know of/remember a quote by C S Lewis in one of his books about reading/books? Something along the lines of 'there's nothing better than sitting down with a good book'
Does that ring a bell with anyone?? Help!

Hey. I recently finished writing a story, and my friend knows someone who could actually get it published. I'll probably be adding more details to it to make it longer in the long run, but would someone like to take a stab at it as it is right now? It's a Christian fantasty story. (link's in my signature....)

hmmm
I'll give this a go.

Name: DayhawK68
limit:2-3
critique style: constructive but picky. I tell it like it is. I make it so that it is presentible to the public, like what I think others want to read.
genre preferred: i dont really care, I like sci-fi and fantasy but it doesn't matter.
promtness: depends on how long it is. 2-3 days.
specifications: I've been in Creative writing classes for 3 years, my father was an editor for newspapers in Atlanta so I got the gene. I am writing a novel currently, but also I am starting new projects here and there.
strengths: I am a good content editor. I can make stories make sense and believable with out ruining the plot. I am really good at dialogue, if it sounds not real, I can make it so. I can help you create a style all your own. Also I'm pretty good at grammar.
weaknesses: spelling. If there are mispelled words I probably wont notice.
Submission: dayhawk68@yahoo.com Word doc please!

Sure, it's been awhile since I took the role as editor. Usually, I do writing...

Name: Pardine
Critiquing style: Extremely critical, very grammar oriented, and very plot oriented.
Genre preferred: Action/sci-fi/"literary"
Promptness of edit: 1 to 2 weeks
Specifications: Writer for a long time, editor for various fanpubs. Reference EveningStar for my abilities.
Strengths: I know the craft of writing, and plotting, and the like.
Weaknesses: I am very, very harsh.
Submission details: I prefer a link to the file on a website, and I prefer the document to be in RTF/DOC format. txt will work, but you'll get it back in a DOC or OpenOffice file. I will send back items for rewrites if it is obvious that this is the first draft. I prefer second or third drafts for editing/betaing only. I also prefer stories that only use original characters.
Current subscribers to service:

I don't know if the Beta Reading Society is still active, but still I think I'll post this just in case.

Name: Katie
Critiquing style: Very straight forward, but am willing to bend in certian aspects. I aim to help a writer form their own unique style of writing as well as make it so that it works for a reader.
Genre preferred: I don't really have a preference on genre but please no historic fiction.
Promptness of edit: Usually 2-3 days but on a rare occasion it might take a week, and an extremly rare occasion two weeks, but I should have it back to you before a week is up.
Specifications: I've been entering contests for about a year and a half now, but I haven't been able to win yet. I've taken several writing courses during the summer and am taking two creative writing courses that are starting in september. As of right now I'm an editor for my school's Literature Magizine(sp?), am working on writing a novel, and have two active threads on here.
Strengths: I know how most serious readers think so I can easily point out parts that are not detailed enough or don't make sense. I understand and know what it takes to make a plot work and like to focus on not just the reader what the reader wants, but maintaining the author's writing style.
Weaknesses: I have trouble with run on sentences (I tend to make my own a bit too long) as well as use of apostrophies. I'm also terrible at spelling.
Submission details: I would actually prefer to have it PMed to me on here, but I won't bit off your head if you e-mail to me at: katie.is.ink@gmail.com
Current subscribers to service: None as of right now

Last edited:
Name: TSI. If you need a real name, call me Bet.
Writer limit: One at a time, please.
Critiquing style: VERY blunt.
Genre preferred: Er, most. But no poetry, please.
Promptness of edit: depends on the length of the thing being critiqued. A week, I guess.
Specifications: I'm eighteen and have been writing for about ten years (though before that, I still made up stories) I have beta'd on fanfiction.net, too.
Strengths: plot, dialog, and character development.
Weaknesses: spelling and grammar.
Submission details: e-mail with a word doc, please. bgrbrts@comcast.net
Current subscribers to service: None. Yet. ;)

Aravis, I'm not clear on what is considered "proper" beta-reading, but I'll have a look at your new story and see if anything comes to mind to tell you.

Just When People Thought This Thread Was Dead--

Some of you have followed my Alipang Havens saga. (I know that _someone_ still is reading the nearly-finished, much-longer _second_ Alipang Havens novel, since views keep on adding up for the thread.) And some of you know that, carrying on the same "universe" as the Alipang stories, I have been developing a science-fiction series taking place in the 22nd century, at a time when _interstellar_ travel has not _quite_ enjoyed its breakthrough. Several characters in the newer stories will be shown to be great-grandchildren of characters in the "world" of Alipang.

This new saga is the vehicle by which I take my half-joking roleplay character of THE GREY EAGLE, and make him "believable" in a future setting.

Alipang fans know that, writing his adventures in the _near_ future, I depict him and his family like Daniels in Babylon, enduring persecution for their Christian faith. Well, by the time the superhero Grey Eagle is born, things are even _worse_ for believers. But there is one _advantage_ for them: they can live on Mars, on Mercury, or on the moons of Saturn, all of which places are _free_ from the God-hating dictatorship that rules Earth.

The time has come to put out a "Beta" request.

Volume One, "Journey of the Grey Eagle," is close to completion. I need someone to _read_ the existing chapters, AND TELL ME WHETHER THEY MAKE SENSE, before I finalize the final chapters. I can send chapters by e-mail, given an address. BUT DO NOT OFFER TO READ IT, unless you are a serious reader with available time and will _stick_ to it until you catch up with where I am now in the narrative. Anyone reading three chapters and then quitting will be completely useless for what I need. I need to know if my internal "knowledge" of the imagined situation IS GETTING ONTO THE PAGES in a way that the reader can follow.

By the way, I have a group page for this on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/152117138277341/

CF:

How many chapters are there? I have a metric crapton of work to do, but I might be able to manage a chapter or so a week (unless it's finals, in which case school trumps all other obligations).

How in-depth of a critique do you want?

Back