Which Book Was Your Favorite?

Lucy Fan

It always happens to me with book series and later their movie adaptation, I always end up liking the first one the most. Maybe because it's the first exposure to it, everything is new and exciting. My first exposure to Narnia was the animated version of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe made in the 1970's I think. My Mom had it on VHS, I think she said she got it free with another movie or something. I was born in 1984 so I was born much later than the release of this VHS. As a kid, not knowing the deeper meaning of the story since I wasn't raised with a religion and didn't truly know about God until much later in life, I just liked the story--it made me happy and made me feel good. The music was a big help too as it set the mood.

I don't think it was until the Prince Caspian movie that I decided to read the books for the first time but of all the books I am going to say The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is my favorite one.

A simple question that's really tough to answer. I'm tempted to say whichever I'm reading at the time but that would be chickening out!

I really can't decide between The Last Battle and The Horse and His Boy. LB because it's rather darker and grittier than the others; everything seems so hopeless until that glorious uplifting ending. HHB because it's such a good old fashioned rollicking adventure story.

What I can say definitively is what my least favourite is, and I hope you won't be too upset that it's your favourite, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Not that I don't utterly love it, but to me it doesn't seem quite as polished as the others stylistically and there are times when Lewis seems a bit uncertain about what exact age range he's writing for. But from Prince Caspian onwards he seems much more certain about what sort of book he's writing; the experience of writing LWW has perhaps clarified his thoughts and maybe he's also taken into account feedback from readers.

A simple question that's really tough to answer. I'm tempted to say whichever I'm reading at the time but that would be chickening out!

I really can't decide between The Last Battle and The Horse and His Boy. LB because it's rather darker and grittier than the others; everything seems so hopeless until that glorious uplifting ending. HHB because it's such a good old fashioned rollicking adventure story.

What I can say definitively is what my least favourite is, and I hope you won't be too upset that it's your favourite, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Not that I don't utterly love it, but to me it doesn't seem quite as polished as the others stylistically and there are times when Lewis seems a bit uncertain about what exact age range he's writing for. But from Prince Caspian onwards he seems much more certain about what sort of book he's writing; the experience of writing LWW has perhaps clarified his thoughts and maybe he's also taken into account feedback from readers.

It's OK you're entitled to your opinion. ;) I can't get mad, because you don't like something I like everyone has different opinions. I did like The Last Battle towards the end when Aslan was guiding them through the real Narnia and Aslan eventually revealed to him that that was his country.

I watched the LWW movie first and then read the books (I got the paperback boxed set tied to the movie) and read them in published order (although I don't recall if I read H&HB before MN or vice versa).

While I truly enjoy LWW, the episodic nature of VotDT made for a better read for me. I also really enjoyed the story of TSC as mostly seen through Jill's eyes. As a result, those two books are my favorites with LWW high up as a great introductory book.

MrBob

I like this thread, Lucy Fan -- thank you.

I fell in love with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe first, having heard it read by my fourth grade teacher who really knew how to read books aloud: changing voices for different characters, modulating her tone and volume depending on the mood, etc. She used to read a chapter each day after lunch recess, and that year we went through all the chronicles in publication order. I don't think she ever had trouble with people straggling in from recess; we were all too excited to find out what was going to happen next! I also remember staying after school one day to talk about the biblical allusions in LWW with her... So I guess you can tell I love LWW.

But when my teacher read through Magician's Nephew, I was totally fascinated, and loved how it tied up so many loose ends. I ached with the struggle in Digory's heart, the gnawing pain and worry about his mother, but loved how Aslan tenderly empathized with him. I LOVED the way Digory was able to choose honor and integrity when sorely tempted in the beautiful garden, resisting Jadis' insinuations in the end! and Wow the scene with the planting of the great tree and the effect of the apple on his mother... So maybe MN is my favorite.

But then I heard my teacher read The Last Battle! To this day, when I read how Shift manipulates poor dear Puzzle, I can hardly stand it! That book had me riding wave after wave of hope only to be dashed-- like when the dwarves turned inward :( Yet the beauty and calm of Jewel's talking about the times of peace and the true friendship and comraderie of those who still clung to their faith in Aslan was so moving. And then came glory and pathos of the last battle, and the totally unexpected ending in the Stable! Wow!! as a child this book really exploded my imagination... Soooooo

My favorite chronicle? Magician's Nephew is tied with The Last Battle, and LWW is second. But like Hermit, I enjoy them All.

It took a little while, but I was able to find two past posts of mine that I think provide my best answer to your wonderful question. The first was from a topic on which book might be the most successful as a film; so while the content delves into that, essentially I think it would be a successful film for the same reasons it's a successful read! The second post is on why I love reading Prince Caspian.

Which Story Has The Most Potential?
Three of the heartwarming stories in "The Chronicles of Narnia" have already been produced, the third of which, "The Voyage of the Dawn Treador," is set for release in theaters December 10, 2010. Of the remaining four stories, which do you believe has the greatest potential to succeed? And why?

Personally (and contrary to many-held notions) I believe "The Horse and His Boy" has the greatest opportunity to succeed on screen, for several reasons.

First, the story takes place during the Golden Age of Narnia's history. Fans (even those of just the movies) are naturally curious about this time period, when the Pevensies ruled as young adults before returning to our world through the Wardrobe. But the story is about more than just the good ole' days of yore. It's about three countries, all of which border the Great Eastern Sea, and their interrealtionship amid a plot by one to overtake the other two; and it's about the lives of several important characters from each country.

Although the book starts out as an adventure of a boy escaping with a talking horse and embarking on the adventure of his life, the movie has the opportunity to begin differently. It could establish the political climate, by beginning with the Pevensies sailing to Calormen. We can also be introduced to King Lune, as a generally happy king whose only sadness is the loss of his son Cor ten years ago. And we can be introduced to Calormen first through Shasta and Aravis and gradually through the city of Tashbaan (which could be visually stunning because of its design), not only a major destination point on their journey, but also the political center of Calormen and the place where Aravis uncovers Prince Rabadash's plot.

In addition to the intriguing political plots that I could easily discuss at greater length, "The Horse and His Boy" would clearly be epic in nature. The story is, in fact, a journey-the journey of Shasta (and Aravis) from a land of oppression to the free land of Narnia (in the North). It is spread across an array of natural environments, including the seaside towns of Calormen, the spiraling ancient city of Tashbaan, the Great Southern Desert (bordered by the Winding Arrow River), the countryside of Archenland (and it's secluded capitol of Anvard), and Stormness Head in the Southern Mountains of Narnia. The epic story is propelled by Rabadash's plot and culminates in the Battle of Anvard, a conflict that involves both King Edmund and Queen Lucy. Queen Susan is featured in the plot by Rabadash, and would appear in the movie as well, although Peter would probably not (since he is fighting giants in the North, an irrelevant point to the plot), but fans could look forward to seeing him, and not Susan most likely, in "The Last Battle."

Again, I could discuss at greater length the great reasons why this great story has the most potential to succeed as a movie. However, I am interested in your opinions too. I love all of the other Narnia stories, and would love to see any of them made into a movie. I'm interested in which ones you believe have the greatest capacity to succeed as a FILM and why you believe so.
---------------------------------------------------
Prince Caspian is one of my favorite chronicles to read, probably second only after The Horse and His Boy.

I love that all the Pevensies are in it. As we unravel that they are in Narnia, we get a unique dual-perspective. They have returned to Narnia, as kids, after only a year; but they also had spent several years in Narnia during the Golden Age. I like how their character attributes carry over from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Peter is a noble and natural leader. Susan is practical. Edmund is courageous. And Lucy is pure. I like how Lucy sees Aslan and the others hesitate to trust her, just as they hesitated to trust her with the wardrobe. I found Susan's patronizing attitude toward Lucy hilarious. I guess I was laughing at the correleation: that some people are very adamant in their disbelief.

I especially like how we learn so much about Narnia from Prince Caspian. Cair Paravel, the Great River, Beruna, Glasswater Creek and the woods all play an important part. We see how places like Cair Paravel, the Stone Table and Beaversdam have changed since the Pevensies' last visit. We learn the names of many new planets, mythologically-based creatures, and lords of Narnia. We become personally acquainted with numerous endearing animals. We glean important historical information about the origins and legacy of the Telmarines in Narnia.

I love the theme of Prince Caspian, that of Renewal and Restoration. I thoroughly enjoyed the climax of the story, when the Narnians defeat the Telmarines, when Aslan and the girls traverse the countryside, and when Aslan coronates Caspian. I thoroughly appreciate every aspect of the ending, including the celebrating and taking of "refreshments." I'm not so much concerned with a literal interpretation of this as I am with its symbolic significance; the immeidate growth of grapes from the ground represented Aslan's renewal of the land.

Perhaps the only thing I didn't completely like was Peter and Susan's dismissal. It's too bad they couldn't come back, but it's cool. It just increased my longing for their characters!

I love Prince Caspian. It's an awesome book. There's so much in it to savor!

Last edited:
I'm glad you guys like this thread idea. I understand it can be hard to pick just one favorite so it's no big deal if someone can't.

I didn't like Peter and Susan's dismissal either. I know Aslan said they've grown up and learned all they could in Narnia and had to live in their own world. But, when they were adults, all four of the penvensie kids, they were told they could live in Narnia as adults so why was it different then? My only guess is that they were the rulers of Narnia. I kind of felt like Peter and Susan should have been dismissed when Lucy and Edmund were dismissed. But, then again the story did play out well with Peter and Susan leaving first, because Lucy and Edmund knew one day it would happen to them and in Voyage of the Dawn Treader they understood why it happened to Peter and Susan. I felt like it was a bittersweet moment.

I think after seeing Voyage of the Dawn Treader came my realization that I wanted a closer relationship with Jesus and to learn more about Him. I may never live up to the knowledge that everyone else here as but at least I'm making an attempt. :) I've been told before that I don't have to compare myself with other people as far as religiously. But, I can't help but do it and it makes me feel sort of self conscious. :eek:

Back