Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Janeway, Voyager

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Archer, Enterprise

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Other - state who in your post

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Kirk has always been and always will be my favorite captain. I even bought an ornament of him for Christmas; it's the first in the TOS series of ornaments from Hallmark (I also got a Luke Skywalker ornament from ESB, but don't tell; Trekkies shouldn't like STar Wars! :p)

Ooh, I have two fabulous Star Wars Xmas decorations. But NO Star Trek. I better get busy this year. Did you like Kirk in the new movie? It was quite interesting how they changed him based on his father's having been killed vs original Kirk who grew up with a Captain-father.

Ugh, no. I can't stand the new movie. I don't plan on seeing the sequel in theaters. The main reasons why I even went to see the new movie were: 1. I had never seen a Trek in theaters, 2. Eric Bana, and 3. Karl Urban. Karl Urban played the absolute BEST Bones in comparison to everybody else. I really loved him in the movie, but nobody else. I have a list of gripes against the movie, but what really irks me is the fact that J.J. Abrams (a Star WARS fan, no less), decided "I don't like this storyline, so I'll just change it to do what I want it to do." In Star Trek, there's room for playing with time; you can do it and go back and it not hurt anything. But Abrams, I think, is and was trying to recreate a Star Trek that isn't what most fans love and enjoy. The universe in TOS is far, far different from the universe he presented, and I prefer the old one. Goofy as TOS is, it's classic, and you shouldn't mess with a classic like that...

Not to mention, you ruin how the characters developed and who they were when you kill off people like Kirk's father and Spock's mother (and destroying Vulcan). Kirk's father being alive was what made Kirk who he was in TOS, and Spock's mother shaped Spock quite a bit; you can see that in the movies, especially.

I totally understand where you are comng from. To me, though, I see it as a way to allow new adventures with the old characters, in their new/alternate universe. I can't wait to see the new cast on their next adventure. I loved all the young actors but Scotty; he just didn't seem Scotty like at all to me. I feel like we still have our memories and love for the old universe, but now we get to see a new set of circumstances unfold. I thought it was a clever way to allow for the creation of new adventures.

New adventures yes, but they could have stuck with the original universe and characters....now that their futures have been changed, what happens to all the other Star Trek series' characters and events? All those have been changed, so in essence, Abrams unwound the fabric of the Trek universe. I guess that's what bugs me the most about Abrams and his new Trek; he felt like he had the right to come in and destroy everything that I love about Star Trek, and re-worked it for his own purpose...

I've considered re-selling my copy of the Trek movie...it was kind of a waste of money now that I look back on it. I'll probably only rent the sequel when it comes out on dvd...not worth sitting through another one in theaters. :(

Yah, I see what you mean. But I don't look at it as if those things never happened; I just look at it as an alternate universe ...

I don't own the film but I saw it twice in theaters and a couple times on planes. I like it a good deal.

It seems I only buy my very favorite films on DVD. Otherwise I just get them for a few days from Net Flix. I would not say the new ST is one of my very favorites, but I very watchable and fun film to me. Like a whole new way of looking at the ToS characters. Kind of like Muppet Babies!

OK, back on track -- I want to know who voted for janeway in the poll! I thought you and I were the only ones in this thread ...

Lol, maybe it was my friend who likes Janeway the best on Voyager. ;) No, I doubt he's a member of the forums; not really his style. :p His favorite captain is Picard; he can't stand Kirk, and I can't stand Picard and Kirk is my favorite, so we make a really odd couple in terms of what we like about Star Trek.

We do agree about three things though: we both think Seven of Nine, Kes, and Neelix were pointless characters in Voyager.

I loved Seven. Borg Babe. What a hoot! I didn't get into Voyager as much as I should have -- if it's on in reruns, maybe I will Tivo it and try to watch it from the beginning.

I added Stardate calendar to my google calendar :). Like today (before midnight here in Cali) Dec 26, 2010 is Stardate [-28] 04195.00. However, that was the stardate when Dec 26 began at 00:00. Stardates change with the time:eek:, so actually, at GMT (7:39 AM Dec 27) now is [-28] 04201.57. When December 27 began at GMT it was [-28] 04200.00

Last edited:
I have an app for my phone that gives me updated stardates in sync with the time. The google calendar is different. If you have a google or gmail account you sign in and go to calendar. That is your google calendar. On the options on the left theres a typing bar under "Other calendars." In there you type the word "stardate" followed by a colon (stardate: )and voilá! Stardates are added to each day!

Last edited:
Well, you're a trekkie so you're a certified nerd. Which means, you have to have a google calendar with stardates on it!! You must!

Back