The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Stone Table > The Socratic Club

Notices

The Socratic Club A club that Lewis founded at Oxford. A forum devoted to general philosophical and spiritual discussion

Old 05-18-2013, 12:39 PM

SunshineRose has a spectacular aura aboutSunshineRose has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORIN THUNDERFIST II View Post
I SO agree with you, Copperfox, as well as you, Inkspot and you, Sunshine Rose, and I am very glad we appear to share similar views on the matter, as I was worried I was beginning to sound like a right old reactionary! The excuse "He (she) made a mistake" is in my opinion used far to often these days, not only to 'justify' the most foul crimes, but also to argue that there should be little or no punishment for such vile acts.
The argument that there should be little or no punishment for crimes and sins deviously renamed "mistakes" or "accidents" as an insult against all honest mistakes and accidents is especially annoying, because even innocent mistakes and accidents have consequences. That's part of life. If I accidentally spill milk all over the carpet, I've got to clean it up, and if I make the mistake of getting off the highway at the wrong exit, I've got to fix it. If there are consequences for the morally neutral accident and mistake of spilling milk or driving off the wrong exit, then you can bet that there should be consequences for the morally wrong accounting "accidents" and money "mistakes" that rob people of thousands of dollars.

-C.S. Lewis
Old 05-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Friend of Narnia

CORIN THUNDERFIST II has a spectacular aura aboutCORIN THUNDERFIST II has a spectacular aura aboutCORIN THUNDERFIST II has a spectacular aura about

Too right! This must also apply to crimes of violence and other acts against individuals, arson and many other appalling acts which some people perpetrate.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:55 PM

SunshineRose has a spectacular aura aboutSunshineRose has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORIN THUNDERFIST II View Post
Too right! This must also apply to crimes of violence and other acts against individuals, arson and many other appalling acts which some people perpetrate.
Yes, definitely. A person who commits a violent crime did not simply make a mistake, and if they are sincerely repentant for their crimes, they won't be bleating about how it was an unfortunate mistake like I might do if I was stuck in a traffic jam because I chose the wrong highway route home. They would be acknowledging the gravity of what they had done and trying to fix it.

Wow, we did hijack this thread about hijacking. What an unfortunate mistake

-C.S. Lewis
Old 05-20-2013, 09:31 PM

Captain Holly has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Holly has a spectacular aura about

Leave it to the badger to try and bring a thread back on topic.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Mage Scribe

EveningStar has disabled reputation

I NEVER TRY, I DO!