Quote Thread

I always read into the washing the sword like washing other people's feet. Like how Jesus says when a man enters a house he needn't wash his whole body but just his feet. (paraphrased) It's shaking the dust of the world from us so we can appear clean before God and before each other.

I find the washing of the sword another means to demonstrate this.

Yes. The feet are also the most undesired place to touch amongst people. So the act of washing feet is to really subjegate yourself in the Old Book. So that he washed feet and also let a woman annoint his feet is really something strange and new.

I think that I've said this once or twice already, but here's my favorite quote, and the reason of my SN.
"Aslan" said Lucy "you're bigger."
"That is because you are older, little one." Answered he.
"Not because you are?"
"I am not. But every year you grow, you will find me bigger." [Prince Caspian]
That's one of the coolest things I'd ever read in my life. I found that it is so true in our relationships with God.
My second favorite would have to be:
"...[basically the paragraph preceding]But as soon as I looked at myself in the water, I knew it had been no good. Then the lion said--but I don't know if it spoke--You will have to let me undress you. I was afraid of his claws, I can tell you, but I was pretty nearly desperate now. So I just lay flat on my back and let him do it....[basically the next paragraph] It hurts like billy-oh, but it is such fun seeing it coming away." [The Voyage of the "Dawn Treader"]

I haven't read that one yet. Prince Caspian. That is a great set of quotations. I think that this reflects one of the greatest truisms that I have learned which is one experiences the responsibiltiy of God only to the extent that one is truly ready. God expands to fill your cup.

Originally posted by Jene Sai@Sep 27 2004, 10:48 PM
In LW&W I vividly remember Aslan scolding Peter for not remembering to clean his sword after the battle.

Even as a child it struck me how beautifully this illustrated the value of a clean conscience.
I always thought that was just something practical that needed to be done to be ready for the next battle-- ya know, so the sword wouldn't rust. Maybe it's something like, "if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrigtheousness." (1 John 5:9)
I don't know about y'all, but as soon as I don't take the time to confess a given sin, I get dragged down by more and more sins.
This is an excellent passage.

And the one that was quoted earlier (Digory in front of Aslan, and Aslan crying)---that's extremely emotional. It's hard for me to complain if I've been thinking about all Christ went through.

"There are only three possibilities. Either your sister is telling lies, or she is mad, or she is telling the truth. You know she doesn't tell lies and it is obvious that she is not mad. For the moment then and unless any further evidence turns up, we must assume that she is telling the truth." - The Professor in LWW

"My dear young lady," said the Professor..."there is one plan which no one has yet suggested and which is well worth trying."
"What's that?' said Susan.
"We might all try minding our own business." said he. And that was the end of that conversation.
- LWW

The Professor was defiinitely my favorite in LWW, I loved his way with words.

"Got to start by finding it, have we?" answered Puddleglum. "Not allowed to start by looking for it I suppose?" - SC

"Well, I wouldn't have dreamt her doing that. Even though I am a good-looking chap." - Puddleglum in SC

Puddleglum was my other favorite, he's so gloomy.

My favorite is when Digory asks Aslan if he has something that will heal his mother.

Up until then Digory has been looking at the lion's great feet and the huge claws on them. Now in his despair, he looked up at its face. What he saw surprised him as much as anything in his whole life. For the tawny face was bent down near his own. And wonder of wonders great shining tears stood in the lion's eyes. They were such big bright tears compared with Digory's own that for a moment he felt the lion must really be sorrier about his mother than he was himself.

"My son... My son... I know. Grief is great. Only you and I know that yet. Let us be good to one another."

I haven't posted many things, but if you've read any of them you probably already know how much i luv mystical, enchanting things, for instance, dryads. Thats why i luv this part in PC.

"Oh trees, trees, trees" said Lucy "oh trees, wake, wake, wake. Don't you remember it?.Don't you remember me? Dryads and Hamadryads, come out, come to me!"
Though there was not a break of wind they all stirred about her. The rustling noise of the leaves was almost words.

I just really love that!..it reminds me of angels..lol..i know you guys probably think that sounds crazy..lol...but i think its enchanting.....

Thats so kewl, eyorebrat..and lol..i like your username. I use to dream about being a dryad whenever i was a little girl, but now at the age of fifteen, i still dream..lol...

just wondering, v4ever, but why do you always say "lol" at radom momments in time?

I also like where peter yells at edmund for lying about being in narnia before.

Originally posted by Dead Rain@Nov 3 2004, 07:54 PM
just wondering, v4ever, but why do you always say "lol" at radom momments in time?
lol means "laughing out loud" so I think we have ourself someone who likes to laugh a lot.

cslouis, i know what "lol" stands for and means. i use it too. all the time actually. mostly in Land of the Duffers, though.
i was asking v4e why she(?) uses it so much. that's all.

Be Content

This has always been my favorite quote from the CoN;
"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve, and that is both honor enough to erect the head of the poorest begger, and shame enough to bow the head of the greatest emperor on on earth. Be Content."

Wow.

"Logic! Why don't they teach logic at these schools?"

P: We won't be coming back to Narnia.
L: What? Why not?
P: Aslan says we're too old to come back. But he said we would know him, even in back in Our World. (this is a paraphrase, i can't remember the exact words)

"You were only an ass, but I was a traitor." (that word means the same as donkey: didn't mean to offend anyone)

"The hour has come!"

"Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter East.
"

A: And what have your people done?
Pe: Sire, if our leader must go without a tail, then we will all remove ours as well. None in our colony must own something deprived of the Head Mouse.
A: Ah! You have won me over. You shall have back your tail, Reepicheep; no because of your honor, but because of the devotion of your people.

Those are my faves: I'll be back with more later. :D

I think my absolute favourite is:

“But,” said Eustace, looking at Aslan. “Hasn`t he - er - died?”
“Yes,” said the Lion in a very quit voice, almost (Jill thought) as if he were laughing. “He has died. Most people have, you know. Even I have. ...”
THE SILVER CHAIR - chapter 16 the healing of harms, p. 188 (ch.16: p.180-191)

And some more:

“Oh,” said Caspian. “I see what`s bothering you. You think I`m a ghost, or some nonsense. But don`t you see? I would be that if I appeared in Narnia now: because I don`t belong there any more. But one can`t be a ghost in one`s own country. I might be a ghost if I got into your world. I don`t know. But suppose it isn`t your`s either, now you`re here.” THE SILVER CHAIR - chapter 16 the healing of harms, p. 188-189 (ch.16: p.180-191)

“But what are we to do?” said Susan. ...
“My dear young lady,” said the Professor, suddenly looking up with a very sharp expression at both of them,
“there is one plan which no one has yet suggested and which is well worth trying.”
“What`s that?” said Susan.
“We might all try minding our own business,” said he.
THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE - chapter 5 back on this side of the door, p.49-50 (ch.5: p.44-52)

“Child,” said the Voice, “I am telling you your story, not hers. I tell no one any story but his own.” THE HORSE AND HIS BOY - chapter 11 the unwelcome fellow traveler, p. 130 (ch.11: p.121-131)

“To know what would have happened, child?” said Aslan. “No. Nobody is ever told that.”
“Oh dear,” said Lucy.
“But anyone can find out what will happen, “ said Aslan. If you go back to the others now, and wake them up; and tell them you have seen me again; and that you must all get up at once and follow me - what will happen? There is only one way of finding out.”
“Do you mean that is what you want me to do?” gasped Lucy.
“Yes, little one,” said Aslan.
“Will the others see you too?” asked Lucy
“Certainly not at first,” said Aslan. “Later on, it depends.” ...
“Now, child,” said Aslan, when they had left the trees behind them, “I will wait here. Go and wake the others and tell them to follow. If they will not, then you at least must follow me alone.” PRINCE CASPIAN

“Oh dear,” said Lucy. “Have I spoiled everything? Do you mean we would have gone on being friends if it hadn`t been for this - and been really great friends - all our lives perhaps - and now we never shall.”
“Child,” said Aslan, “did I not explain to you once before that no one is ever told what would have happened?” THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER - chapter 10. The Magician`s Book, p. 123 (ch.10: 112-124)

Logic!” said the Professor half to himself. “Why don`t they teach logic at these schools? There are only three possibilities. Either your sister is telling lies, or she is mad, or she is telling the truth. You know she doesn't tell lies and it is obvious that she is not mad. For the moment then and unless any further evidence turns up, we must assume that she is telling the truth THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE - chapter 5 back on this side of the door, p.47-48 (ch.5: p.44-52)

“Oh, whatever will become of us?” said Pole despairingly.
“Now don`t you let your spirits down, Pole,” said the Marsh-wiggle. “There`s one thing you`ve got to remember. We`re back in the right lines. We were to go under the Ruined City, and we are under it. We`re following the instructions again.” THE SILVER CHAIR - chapter 10 travels without the sun, p.120 (ch.10: 114-125)

As they cicled round they were all diligently throwing snowballs. ...They were throwing them through the dance in such perfect time with the music and with such perfect aim that if all the dancers were in exactly the right moments, no one would be hit. This is called the Great Snow Dance and it is done every year in Narnia on the first moonlit night when there is snow on the ground. Of course it is a kind of game as well as a dance, because every now and then some dancer will be the least little bit wrong and get a snowball in the face, and then everyone laughs. But a good team of dancers, Dwarfs, and musicians will keep it up for hours without a single hit. On fine nights when the cold and the drum-taps, and the hooting of the owls, and the moonlight, have got into their wild, woodland blood and made it even wilder, they will dance till daybreak. THE SILVER CHAIR - chapter 15 the dissapearance of Jill, p.172-173 (ch.15: 170-179)

and lol:
“I suppose the sewing machine`s too heavy to bring?”
“Yes. It is,” said Mr Beaver. !a great deal too heavy. And you don`t think you`ll be able to use it while we`re be able to use it while we`re on the run, I suppose?”
“I can`t abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it,” said Mrs Beaver, “and breaking it or stealing it, as likely as not.”
THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE - chapter 10 the spell begins to break, p. 94-95 (ch.10: 93-101)

and :)

B1-66ER-#7 said:

i really like it when it gets pretty serious and you just stop to think about something for a moment

****************************************************************************************************

[size=-2]Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. C. S. Lewis

The idea of a (-> one of the) great moral teacher(s) saying what Christ said is out of the question. There is no halfway house and there is no parallel in other religions. He produced mainly three effects-hatred-terror-adoration. There was no trace of people expressing mild approval.
"I am begotten of the One God, before Abraham was, I am," and remember what the words "I am" were in Hebrew. They were the name of God, which must not be spoken by any human being, the name which it was death to utter. C.S. Lewis (What are we to make of Jesus Christ? in God in the dock)

There seems to be a general agreement that in the teaching of this Man and of His immediate followers, moral truth is exhibited at its purest and best. It is not sloppy idealism, it is full of wisdom and shrewdness. The whole thing is realistic, fresh to the highest degree, the product of a sane mind. C.S. Lewis (What are we to make of Jesus Christ? in God in the dock)

Luke 24
32 And they said to one another, Was not our heart burning in us as he spoke to us on the way, as he opened the scriptures to us?
[/size]

Last edited:
"He is not a tame lion."

I know this seems like an obvious one, especially since it is a theme that runs throughout the entire series, but the implications of it are amazing.

The same lion who had a friendly tussle with Susan and Lucy in LWW was the one who sang Narnia into existence and later destroyed the shadow we knew as Narnia. WOW!

lewis is amazing

Amanda said:
This has always been my favorite quote from the CoN;
"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve, and that is both honor enough to erect the head of the poorest begger, and shame enough to bow the head of the greatest emperor on on earth. Be Content."

Wow.

That one really is awesome! *sigh* i've got to read these books again. i didn't retain enough the first two times, but then there's just so much to retain! :eek:

Back