Which of the Marvel hero's are your favorites?

• Total voters
....Oh, and I came away from it loving Loki even more. I've loved him ever since Avengers 1, even though he's technically a bad guy.

Cate plays evil well, much as I disliked Hela. However I don't think it's necessarily a desire to go from a pure character to an absolutely evil character-they're actors. It broadens their resumes and possibly offers a challenge in playing something so evil/cruel. It's also probably a desire NOT to be typecast as a certain type of character, even though inevitably, I think they will always remain as Galadriel and Frodo to the fans, just as Chris Hemsworth will always be Thor to any Marvel fan watching any other movie of his.

I come from a theater family. I'm very well acquainted with broadening resumes. And actors who have played the Lord Jesus, like Max von Sydow, CAN'T AVOID going on to play characters LESS virtuous than He!

I have acted villain roles myself. Somebody's got to do it. But the only way I would ever wish anyone to "love" an evildoer portrayed by me would be "love to hate him." There is so MUCH evil in the real world, and it is SO aggressive, that we who reject the dark side cannot afford to flirt with it, cannot afford to think it's "cute."

Has anyone gone to see Black Panther or going to see it? I'm seeing it with some friends on Monday (and I can't wait!) and everything I've heard has been positive. Even Mandisa took her band members to see it and she said it's fantastic.

Of course, it's all just culminating in Infinity War. ;)

I saw Black Panther last night. A bit of political correctness shoehorned in, with complaints about "colonizers" even though there HAS NOT BEEN EVEN ONE African country ruled by Europeans IN DECADES; but I mostly liked it.

When the rest of you go to see it, DO NOT LEAVE THE CINEMA until you've seen BOTH epilogues.

P.S. Aravis, do you KNOW the singer Mandisa? I've heard her singing and loved it.

I have not seen it yet-I came down with the stomach bug on Monday, so I had to cancel on my friends. :( I'm seeing it Saturday though, and they've said it's really really good!

I've listened to the songs I've heard on K-LOVE and Air1 of hers. She's not my favorite singer, but I follow her on Facebook because she often has very encouraging things to say/post.

Thoughts on Infinity War? *spoilers allowed, but warn first if you post a review or any major spoilers!*

My review/thoughts are here in my blog. Still processing it, even several days later.

Having read your review, I have two pieces of news which may delight you, and one which may or may not.

Spoilers to follow.

Thor is fine. He's in the final Avengers lineup with Cap, Black Widow, and War Machine.

Chris Evans, I believe, has renewed his contract! He was quitting due to disagreements with Ike Perlmutter, CEO of Marvel Entertainment, but since Disney spun Marvel Studios off as its own company, they no longer have to deal with him.

Ant-Man and the Wasp takes place before Infinity War in the timeline.

Also read the review.

I wouldn't trust anyone's rumors on contracts, because Marvel / Disney could easily just sign the contract and pay the character for the movie but keep them dead, or do flashback scenes, or the like. There could be origins movies or other timelines at some point to. It's safe to assume that what we were served is the new status quo until something different comes up, and to not expect there to be any miracles (though we might get them)

Hawkeye is played by Jeremy Renner, and Renner chose to film Mission Impossible over this movie and had the right to do so in his contract.

And Ant Man and the Wasp I believe takes place shortly after the events in Infinity War according to some interviews I watched, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's true.

I've been gradually re-watching Marvel movies because I think I'm finally recovered-ish from IW. I saw Black Panther again tonight and liked it much better than the first time. Probably helps that I saw ALL of it this time because the time I saw it in theaters I had to go to the bathroom during a crucial scene! And I can usually follow movies better the second time around.

I notice that too, when I have to go to the bathroom and I miss something important to the plot, I feel lost and it takes a second viewing to cement some things into place.

Now that we're a bit removed from Phase 3, and Phase 4 has just started with WandaVision and Falcon and the Winter Soldier, how's everyone feeling?

I have avoided Deadpool. I am not a fan of his brand of humor when it goes too far.

Well, to start, swearing is rarely funny, unless it is the joke. Getting naked in a phone booth while trying to change like Superman is too far. It's not funny, it's gross. I have seen enough, and heard enough of what else happens in the movie to know other things that I am not going to explain. A friend of mine was very embarrassed to be seeing the movie.

One thing I would point out is that Captain America is known for being the one that doesn't swear. ("Language!") And yet, in Avengers: Endgame, he does one time. And it's when they are ready to go get Thanos. Would that have landed as powerfully if he hadn't? Probably, that can be argued. Would it if he swore all the time? Not at all. In fact, all of the power from this statement would have been pulled from it.

Honestly, though, where Deadpool goes over the line is where other heroes would stop.

I would say a good example is James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy vs James Gunn's The Suicide Squad. Same writer/director. Sometimes Guardians goes just a little too far, but never much. It is James Gunn restrained, but far more watchable than the unrestrained James Gunn, with a level of violence and language that makes it very difficult to sit through.

Right, and I found it to be crass and immature, and the bottom of the barrel when it comes to humor. I thought it was embarrassing when I saw it in a trailer for the movie. I figured the trailer showed me the sort of thing the rest of the movie would be like, and it just didn't work for me.

I've just seen a teaser video about the next Guardians of the Galaxy movie. Without saying anything specific, I have a nasty premonition that this movie-- despite superficial humor-- will be unhappy, dark, pessimistic, sad, grim, joyless and frustrating. Last two years, I've been through enough ACTUAL trouble, worry and unhappiness, that I don't need my fiction to be saturated with more of the same. Unless I eventually learn that GG-3 has a HAPPY ending after all, I'll be skipping it.

I have a feeling that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 will be every bit as fun as Vol. 1 and Vol. 2. It's the same writer/director. I think it's going to be super fun, but also have a lot of heart. Vol. 2 ended with a bittersweet scene, I think 3 will as well. James Gunn has shown he has range with his films... I haven't been willing or able to finish his "The Suicide Squad" because it is R-rated violence and language. I managed about half of it, but even the first five minutes of it was too much for my taste. On the other hand, his Guardians films, I believe, are right in the sweet spot. I think he is at his best when he has limitations of a PG-13 rating to work within, rather than unrestrained R-ratings. If TSS was all I had to go on, I would be worried for the future of the new DCU, but from what I've heard about the end of TSS, and GotG 1&2, and now the trailer for GotG 3, I think the DCU will do things right. And I think that GotG 3 will have the same feel as the previous 2 installments. It's extraordinarily rare for a series to completely change course after two movies.

Killing off the version of Gamora who had come to love Peter, thus moving him back to Square One with her, was already more of a course change than I cared for.

Yeah, that was pretty major. We'll see how much weight that holds. A lot of time could have passed, and he could be close on this version... based on the fact that we've already seen that stuff, all they need to do is say... have a montage of him trying to duplicate a lot of the moments, and failing because he's forcing it. lol, but then finally have something work.

Back