Contest #10 "Dear Glennfeather" Advice Column

I loved this one! Judges, please DO give this entry its chance, and DON'T treat it as being too late!

To Glennfeather, Noble and Learned Owl, and Publisher of Events

Greetings in the Name of Aslan.

I am writing this communication concerning a most wretched dream I had a fortnight ago, that has haunted me to no end. I pray Aslan may give thee (and I also) wisdom regarding the meaning of it. This then is my dream sir: As I dreamed upon my bed in the night hours, behold, I saw myself being startled by none other than the High King Peter himself and his royal siblings in the woods which lie yonder from Aslan's How. While observing this event as it were from outside my body, I was vexed and disturbed to see myself engage the High King in combat no less! And as if the fight was not hideous enough, the High King and myself behaved toward one another in a most unchivalrous and childish way, as though nobility meant nothing to us. The combat concluded by my taking the High King's sword and then returning it to him after apparently recognizing him (as if the whole of Narnia did not know who he was, By the Mane!)

Also in this wretched nightmare (for thus it was) I beheld myself acting improper towards the High Queen Susan, being spellbound by her beauty (though beautiful she was) and behaving most unlike a Knight of the Order of the Mane, let alone a King of Narnia. Thus my conduct in these and other such events has made me bewildered and grieved (though it was but a dream) and given me sufficient cause to wait on Aslan night and day.

And because it has grieved me so, I have dispatched my swiftest eagle, Starchaser, to deliver this message, and to await tidings from thee. Please it you to reply with all possible haste sir, concerning this grievous matter. Written with my own hand this 2nd day of Summer Festival.
In Aslan’s Name,

Caspian X,
King of Narnia

Your Majesty,

Let not the king’s heart be troubled by the things you have seen, for early this morning I received word concerning these very things from the Centaur Glenstorm, who by the grace of Aslan has received wisdom and understanding in such matters, and whose gift your majesty knows very well.

This therefore Sire, is the meaning and interpretation as communicated to me by Glenstorm:

“The images of your majesty and the kings and queens of old which thou sawest, were not true images but false ones that do imitate the real thing. These imitations you saw are the selfish and greedy dreams that have risen in the hearts of men from the other world, which Aslan has allowed your majesty to see for His divine purpose.

These dreams are a warning that, while good is always at work, evil is constantly seeking to devour that which is good. They also serve as a reminder to keep thy heart with all diligence, and remain tenderhearted. It is for this reason that Aslan has shown your majesty these things, for thou art also trustworthy.

Therefore I counsel your majesty to continue the plans and preparations towards your quest to find the seven lost lords, for we are assured it is Aslan’s will and that this journey carries His blessing. Thy subjects also rejoice at the peace Aslan has brought us through thine own hand in the Frontier Wars with the giants, and the land has prospered greatly. May Aslan grant your majesty wisdom, strength, and joy in all endeavors thy settest thine hand to.

In the Service of the King,

Glenstorm the Centaur
Glennfeather the Owl

Thanks for your submission, Firefly.
I am meeting with judges early next week and hope to post the results by Friday.

Last edited:
and the winners are...

[sorry for double post, but the results are now in:)]

Thanks for your patience for the contest results. The judges really enjoyed the entries and commmented on the wide variety and creativity of your letters. After careful deliberation here are the awards:

1st Place - to Firefly77 for the wonderful set about Caspian's cinematic nightmare with such rich style with details from the books as well

2nd Place - to Sunshine Rose for a wonderfully imaginative send-off to the Suspian question

3rd Place - to Fernshire Hobbit for her delightfully detailed description of the Duffer dilemma from Coriakin's point of view

In addition, Copperfox was voted a Special Double-speak/Tongue-in-cheek Award for Gumpas' ridiculous complaint against "a bigoted, judgmental representative of the one percent" -- i.e., Prince Caspian. (And of course for Glennfeather's outwardly civil yet secretly scathing reply!)

I'm away at a multi-church conference this week, so we get to have a special prize treat. I was able to pick up some hand-painted leather Lion bookmarks, a handicraft project from Nairobi that supports a scholarship fund enabling Kenyan students to attend senior high school. (see photo) I will pm the winners to let you know how to claim your bookmark awards.

But to all -- thank you for your entertaining and clever contributions!
Onward and upward!

Attachments

• lion bookmarks.jpg
    lion bookmarks.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Thanks for asking Copperfox. Currently there is an unofficial graphic one going on in the Brush of Unicorn section, so the next Cair Paravel one will occur sometime after that one finishes.

Last edited:
Thanks for asking Copperfox. Currently there is an unofficial graphic one going on in the Brush of Unicorn section, so the next Cair Paravel one will occur sometime after that one finishes.

ah, Benisse, you don't have to wait on the graphic contest if you don't want to. We were trying to revive the graphics contests so they will (hopefully) be ongoing :)

Back