The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Eagle and Child > C.S. Lewis

Notices

C.S. Lewis All things C.S. Lewis

Old 05-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

I wish he were still alive, too. As a kid, I didn't think about it so much, but when I read the Space Trilogy I was in college, and I felt like I wanted to ring him up on the phone and discuss it; it seemed like he would have really had interesting stuff to tell me...of course, he was a bit of a grump and might not have wanted me ringing him up, even if he had been alive!

The humanist author Alduous Huxley also died on that day JFK and CSL died, and Lewis expert Peter Creeft (Kreeft?! I forget) has written a play about their simultaneous arrival in the afterlife which is quite insightful about the views of all three, as they discuss what happened to them and where they might be.

Seems like they are in utter darkness for most of the play as they discuss their lives and philosophies, then comes a moment when CS Lewis calls out for the others to look at the bright, beautiful light which is dawning -- the corrupted Catholic JFK says he believes he can see some sort of light barely flickering in the shadows, but sadly, atheist Huxley can see nothing but the darkness...

It reminds you of the dwarfs at the end of TLB who cannot see they are in Aslan's country, so it's a nice tribute to Lewis.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly • Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly
Old 05-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Knight of the Stone Table

PrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the roughPrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the roughPrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the roughPrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to PrinceOfTheWest Send a message via MSN to PrinceOfTheWest

Did Kreeft really write such a play? I'll have to look that up!

Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Dad & Mage Verger
(Play courteously! Your father is watching!)
Old 05-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfTheWest View Post
Did Kreeft really write such a play? I'll have to look that up!
I don't know that it was meant for performance, because, as I remember it, most of it happens in the dark. It is called "Between Heaven and Hell." It was really very interesting and insightful. Also, when I said "corrupted Catholic" above, I meant that JFK in this version of the play had sort of forgotten/neglected his faith, not that the faith itself is corrupt; clearly had the character in the play been more in tune with his faith, he would have seen, as Jack did, the wonderful light of Christ dawning -- but even with such familiarity with his faith as he had, he saw something and with time, would see more.

Yah, Miss Freckles, I was forgetting that I would be able to meet him some day! Also, I pray to him sometimes, that he would get Jesus to help me with my writing ... so maybe he already knows me a little.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17

________

Last edited by inkspot; 05-14-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:14 AM
Knight of Narnia

BarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to BarbarianKing Send a message via Yahoo to BarbarianKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfTheWest View Post
Keep in mind that all those points about self-exultation and the danger of pride are only an issue for those of us still here on earth. Lewis was hardly in danger of being distracted by earthly glory after his death - his attention was fixed on things greater than any offered here. But for all that, I think that things played out as God intended. Perhaps if his death had been more noted, his works would have received a flare-up of interest as a "media event", and then died down. As it was, his effect on the world has been slow but growing - a "stealth" attack on the idolatry of the West.
Good point. I agree with you.

I makes me banners

Check out my THREAD about meeting Georgie and Will Poulter!
Read my short fanfic about Reepicheep's prophesy.

My graphics thread
My other writing thread.
My DeviantArt Gallery

I am free from the taint of neutrality.
-T. Roosevelt
Old 05-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Fresh Bread

Maxie_Baby<3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Maxie_Baby<3

what are you guys talking about??? C.S. Lewis isnt dead, he is in Narnia
Old 05-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Beloved Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie_Baby<3 View Post
Welcome, Maxie! I didn't see you post before. And you are right.

________
Old 07-13-2017, 02:56 AM
Fresh Bread

archenland knight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie_Baby<3 View Post
Well, he's in "Aslan's Country" which is even better. But, actually, that's what I was going to say. I was going to say that he is no doubt quite happy to have departed "The Shadowlands" and to be, finally, at home where he belongs ... where we ALL belong.

“The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning.” - Aslan at the end of "The Last Battle".

"He is caught up into that world where pain and pleasure take on transfinite values and all our arithmetic is dismayed." - Screwtape Letters. The Last Chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärendil the Mariner
I always thought the date of his death seemed familiar, like something else important happened that day....
And then, the very next day something else of world-shaking importance happened in the U.K. The first ever episode of Doctor Who aired for the first time!!
Old 08-22-2017, 07:00 AM

Princess Frances is on a distinguished road

Didn't Lewis die principally of kidney failure?
Old 08-23-2017, 12:52 PM
Friend of Narnia

TimmyofOz has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyofOz has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to TimmyofOz

I know he died at home.

Aslan is on the Move.
A heart can never be practical until it can be made unbreakable.