The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Eagle and Child > C.S. Lewis

Notices

C.S. Lewis All things C.S. Lewis

Old 12-12-2017, 02:08 AM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice
Default Chapter 1

I have not read much of C.S. Lewis' non-fiction, so I find your comment intriguing. In the Voyage of the Dawn Treader I know on Coriakin's Island Aslan said he was always with Lucy -- there was not a clearly defined "Holy Spirit" in that scene when the invisible were made visible. Perhaps the albatross that spoke to Lucy when they were trying to escape the dark island could be another form of Aslan, though.

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus

Old 12-12-2017, 03:15 PM
Scourge of Squirreldom

Glenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to all

It's not that Lewis never talks about the Holy Spirit; he definitely does. It's just that I don't recall it being anything close to what I would consider a central theme in his nonfiction (I've read his major nonfiction works and some of his minor ones).

Of course, there's also the issue that you alluded to--that if memory serves, Lewis often doesn't use the name "Holy Spirit" when he describes things that the Holy Spirit in fact does. He'll talk about God's working in a more general sense, without getting specific about which Person of the Trinity does what. Whether that tendency factors into the albatross situation, I'm not sure. It's an interesting thought. I should probably glance through that part of VDT again.

He marked the wood and the cloven ways
With an old captain's eyes,
And he thought how many a time had he
Sought to see Doom he could not see;
How ruin had come and victory,
And both were a surprise.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:39 PM
Fresh Bread

Berean Beruna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Real Presence

I concur with Glenburne in not seeing the Holy Spirit as a central theme in Lewis' writings. Leanne definitely had a charismatic bent, which may have led to her seeing references to the Holy Spirit where others might not.