The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Stone Table > The Socratic Club

Notices

The Socratic Club A club that Lewis founded at Oxford. A forum devoted to general philosophical and spiritual discussion

Old 10-09-2016, 02:44 AM

Princess Frances is on a distinguished road

I wasn't raised Christian and Christmas was treated as "Santaclausmas" in our house but i think the Christian marriage should be treated with more respect than it is in many places elsewhere online.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:39 PM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to all

I wasn't raised Christian either, but this meant that when I did come to Jesus, I knew it was MY decision, not a tradition being imposed on me.

As for marriage: part of the problem is that too many people imagine they can stay in the "first romantic thrill" stage. They don't appreciate the blessing of STICKING IT OUT for the long run.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:27 PM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice

My husband and I are going through Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas, one chapter a week during our BFF dates. This week's study was on how marriage can be a catalyst for self-discovery leading to personal growth and transforming as you learn about areas where you need to change. Here are a two of my favorite quotes from this chapter:

(quote from Gary and Betsy Ricucci)
"One of the best wedding gifts God gave you was a full length mirror called your spouse. Had there been a card attached, it would have said, 'Here's to helping you discover what you're really like!' " p.89

"View marriage as an entryway into sanctification -- as a relationship that will reveal your sinful behaviors and attitudes and give you the opportunity to address them before the Lord. But here's the challenge: Don't give in to the temptation to resent your partner as your own weaknesses are revealed. Correspondingly, give them the freedom and acceptance they need in order to face their own weaknesses as well. In this way, we can use marriage as a leg up, a piercing spiritual mirror, designed for our sanctification and growth in holiness." p.97

Marriage can be transformative; I know I am significantly different than the idealistic person who said "I do" 38 years ago -- especially in the areas of how to handle anger, how to pray, and how to listen. Marriage is also often wonderful, sometimes romantic, sometimes stressful but also often humbling. But that's a good thing... for humility is the optimal stance from which building others up becomes easier.
blessings, Linda

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus

Old 10-28-2016, 07:42 PM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to all

....all of which illustrates why I will never buy the notion that the entire body of Christian clergy ought to be PREVENTED FROM HAVING the insights which are gained from human marriage.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:57 AM
Fresh Bread

Berean Beruna is an unknown quantity at this point

Some form of marriage is found in most civilizations throughout history. The Judeo-Christian tradition has elevated marriage beyond any other culture. It is viewed, biblically, as a life long, God ordained union of one man and one woman. This is how our Lord Jesus described it in Matthew 19:4-6.

Marriage is foundational for civilizations, even those that do not embrace the Judeo-Christian tradition. The family is the backbone of society, and marriage is the foundation of the family. In a sense, the family is the smallest unit of government. It is through families that new citizens are born and learn right from wrong.

Sociologically, marriage is viewed as making three primary contributions to society: socialization of males; procreation; and care for the elderly and infirm.

Christians see marriage as a gift from God for the welfare and happiness of humankind. Marriage has been under attack since the sin of Adam and Eve. Reading through the Bible we see one attack after another on marriage: polygamy, incest, prostitution, rape, immorality, divorce, etc., etc. In American culture, “no fault divorce” has undermined marriage, making it the only legal contract that has no obligation to keep. Recent court decisions, redefining marriage also weaken marriage. The welfare system in America supports unmarried mothers, who would lose benefits if married. This has resulted in the majority of children among low income groups being born to single women. Children are growing up without a father in the home, which study after study has shown to be detrimental to those children.

Last edited by Berean Beruna; 08-04-2017 at 04:05 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:35 PM
Friend of Narnia

When you meet a romantically-involved couple (I use a squeaky-clean term for it), and they say about themselves, "Our love is so true that it DOESN'T NEED any promise of commitment," the odds are good that at least one of the partners IS ALREADY CONSIDERING the option of bailing out.