General FAQ Updated July 1, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

holyboy

Retired Purplemite
Royal Guard
Emeritus
Welcome to the General FAQ for The Dancing Lawn. Here, in this awesome and all-powerful thread, are located the answers to the most common questions that are asked on the forum. Please look here before you ask a question, because this will be continually updated as more questions come along.

The questions are sorted into 5 categories: Categories of Members, Images, Moderators, Threads, and Misc.

Categories of Members

1. Q: What is a Duffer?

A: Duf•fer: n. 1. A member from Narniafans who likes to post crazy, pointless, and funny things in the Land of Duffers.

To become one, just start posting in the Duffers. NOTE: Duffers realise they cannot post pointless things in other places, just in the Land of Duffers *wink wink*

2. Q: I am new, and my name is in orange. Is there something wrong with my name/account?

A: No. All new members are classified as "Fresh Bread" until they obtain 10 posts. One of the perks of being Fresh Bread is you have a orange name. However, there are some restrictions: Fresh Bread cannot post avatars and cannot upload signatures. However, after achieving 10 posts you will be able to upload the avatars and sigs.

3. Q: How do I become a member/senior member? How many to be a Friend of Narnia?

A: 40 posts to become a member, 100 to become a senior. To have a Friend of Narnia user title, you need 1000 posts. Also, there is a secret user title, but I cannot give away any more information than that :)

Images

4. Q: How do I put an image/banner in my signature?

A: Go to the Edit Signature page (User CP > Edit Signature) and click on the image with a yellow background and a mountain in the foreground. In the pop-up, type in (or paste) you’re image’s URL. (Note. Maximum of 1 pic per signature)
For a more detailed explanation see this thread.

Also, one must be out of the Fresh Bread (orange) distinction before they can post a pic in the signature or avatar. This is obtained when you have posted 10 times.

Moderators

5. Q: Who are the moderators?

A: Any members with Blue, Purple, or Green names are moderators. Each color represents a different rank:

Blue Mods: These are full fledged mods who can close and move threads in any forum. In addition, they can ban members who are breaking the rules temporarily or permanently.

Purple Mods: These are Super Mods. In addition to same the powers the Blue mods have, these mods can also change the name of any member. Just PM your name request to these mods. (see note 16 below on name changes.)

Green Mods: This is the Administrator. In addition to having the same powers as the Purple mods, he can add forums, change the design and add anything else the board needs.

Click here for the latest updates on who the mods are.

6. Q: How Do I Become A Moderator? (Mod)

A: Write thoughtful, meaningful, and polite posts and threads. Know the rules, and follow them. (ie DON'T SPAM!!) Keep a cool head when talking to other members, especially if they are new or if you have a different opinion then them. Other then that, there is nothing more you can do. If you are mod material, Specter will find you, not the other way around. Enjoy your time as a member and one day you too may be a mod.

Threads

7. Q: Why Did You Close My Thread?

A: Every time a mod closes the thread, they leave a little message explaining why the thread was closed in the last post. Please read it, as they are usually self-explanatory. If you still have any questions, PM the mod that closed the thread, with a link to the thread (or we cannot help you) . I can't speak for all the mods, but 9 times out of 10 I close threads because there is already a thread on that topic.

8. Q: Why Is No One Replying To My Thread?

A: First thing you need to do is wait. Give members time to read your post, and reflect on it. Also, not everyone will be interested in every thread. Wait until the right people come, and you can get a great discussion going.

9. Why was my thread moved to the Cair Paravel Library?

Our forum was having problems loading the information in various threads, and we found out that the server was built to support many tiny threads and not one huge thread. Therefore, when a thread has over 2000 posts, we may move the thread to the archives in the Cair Paravel Library. We will then create another thread with the same title and a number beside it, indicating which thread number it is.

10. Q: Why do so many threads have Roman Numerals after them?

A: Whenever we archive a thread we re-create the thread and place a number beside them, telling you that it is the second, third, fourth, etc version of the thread. For why we archive threads, see the above question.

Misc

11. Q: What are referrals?

A: The referral number is the amount of people you have gotten to register on the boards. There is one option when you register to fill in who referred you to the site, and if they put in your name, your referral number will go up by one.

12. Q: I know I have posted a bagillion times, but my post count says I only have 6 posts. What is going on?

A: Post Count has been turned off for the Land of Duffers and Cast and Crew forums. To increase your post count, try posting in other areas of the forum.

13. Q: What is a reputation?

A: Reputation is a way for other members to tell you that they liked your post or thread. If you wish to add reputation to a member's profile, just click on the scale located at the top right-hand corner of every post. You will then be asked if you approve of this post and why. Just type in your comments to that member and click "Add to Reputation." The member will then receive the reputation.

14. Q: The box under my post count used to be blue, but now it is green. Did I mess up the forum?

A: In short, no. A member has added to your reputation, thus giving you a green box. Go to your User CP to view your new reputation.

15. Q: Can I change my user name?

A: You cannot, but it can be changed for you by one of the Royal Guards (names in purple) or the system owner Specter. However, we discourage name changes because it makes administering the forum quite difficult. Though most members choose a name and stick with it, some members want to change theirs as often as they change their oil. When a member who started as, say, WillumzBigFan becomes Ron♥Hermione and then turns into Anime-niac, it's very hard for forum moderators to keep track of who is who. Posts in the username change threads simply don't do it - we've got too much to keep track of without staying current on everyone's latest username.

Therefore, don't expect a name change quickly. If you have a good reason for wanting it, PM one of us, but be warned - simply being tired of your current name is not a good reason. So choose a username carefully: the odds are that you'll be stuck with it for a while.

16. Q: I posted a thread, but it says it's in the moderation queue./I cannot post in any threads! What do I do?

A: In the past, we have had problems of bots posting spam, so we had to stop users with less then 1 post from creating new threads and posting in random threads. However, if you Introduce yourself in the Introduction Thread then you will be able to post where ever you want, and create new threads.

Is there a question you think needs to be added? Is there a mistake on this FAQ? Well, never fear, just send a PM to a moderator to revise that section as soon as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back