The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Stone Table > Prayer Requests

Notices

Prayer Requests Need Prayers? We're here for you!

Old 09-04-2017, 02:57 AM

timbalionguy is on a distinguished road
Default Difficult animal week ahead

To all my friends here.

We currently have two sick lionesses. One lioness is very old and is exhibiting the symptoms of being very old. The other lioness, we aren't really sure what is wrong, but it is potentially very serious. Of the two lionesses, she is the sicker of the two, but has the better prognosis if we can get to the bottom of what is afflicting her.

We are planning to do some veterinary work this week on both of these cats. This kind of work is always very risky in that sedating a big cat is not a trivial procedure, and could easily kill either of these cats outright. The more likely outcome though is the recommendation to euthanize one or both of these lionesses.

These two lionesses are all that is left of my lion 'family', after Kenya's sudden and untimely demise in January. (He suddenly dropped dead in front of me on January 15th, from an apparent stroke.)

I am praying for a miracle. That is the only thing that can help here at this time. My life has been rather short on miracles lately, although I can report we won two very significant battles against the animal rights folks this year. Neiter victory was anticipated or expected, but God moves in ways we don't understand. So for the time being, we are not under iminent attack. The way we won both of these battles can only be described as miracoulous.

In general, the zoo itself could really use prayer as well. We received significant damage, especially in the big cat area, from a flooding event in January, right before Kenya (and also my housecat Freeway) died. We lost 2 months of revenue from not being able to be open after that. We have numerous repairs to make to many things, some of which will requiring hiring contractors with special tools and skills we do not have (and money we do not have!). We also have lost a lot of animals this year, mainly due to old age. We need replacements for animals that we can afford, and for which we can deal with the very real logistics problems created by the burdensome set of laws that now regulate us.

Thank you.
I will keep you updated on how the veterinary exam session (called a 'knockdown') goes.

In memory of Kenya the lion 6/23/1996 - 1/15/2017
In memory of Serena the lioness 5-2002 - 9/16/2017
In memory of Sierra the lioness 5/24/1995 - 9/17/2017
Sir Timbalionguy the faithful O.L.

Last edited by timbalionguy; 09-04-2017 at 04:33 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:45 PM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice

Timba,
praying for a safe and smooth sedating and discernment for why your young lioness is acting so sick...

update 9/10/17
How did your week go, Timba?

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus

Old 09-12-2017, 03:58 AM

Update: With cooler weather, both lionesses are doing a little better this week. But neither one is 'out of the woods', or even close. The old lioness is five years past her nominal captive lifespan. She will never truly 'get better'. The fact she has lived this long means we have been ding something right, plus I think she has better genetics than we give her credit for.

That said, our animal welfare committee has authorized euthanasia of both lionesses if it is unlikely there is an easy course of treatment. My gut feeling is (and I consented to this decision) there is no easy course of treatment, although I am not by any means a Veterinarian.

Please pray that whatever happens, happens soon, as it is very difficult emotionally to anticipate this. It will also continue to run at right angles to my schedule, like it did last week. And the thought of throwing two longtime friends in a hole to rot is just unfathomable. So is the thought I will no longer have any lions to care for. I hoped this time would never come in my life

A miracle is always appreciated.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:53 AM

Update: It looks like we will doing vet work on these lions on Saturday evening.

Today, I had planned to visit the zoo and check on the lions. I was thwarted by circumstances beyond my control-- twice

Old 09-18-2017, 05:24 AM

My signature now indicates the results of all this.
This was one of the most difficult weekends I have ever had.
I am now lionless.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:47 AM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice

May God sustain and guide you Timba... and surround you with truth and comfort during this difficult time.

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus