Contest 23: Riddles!!

What is your favorite Riddle? (Poll option limit = 10, so riddles are grouped)

• by Peepiceek: #4 Stranger,#5 Late Convert, #6 Exile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • by Peepiceek: #7 Nose, #9 Mystery #20 Saviour, #39 Wordplay

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • by Peepiceek: #44 Dance, #46 Who Said to Whom?, #51 Sleeper

• by Bénisse:#2 Polarity, #54 Beware, #67 Found, #77 Promise

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • by Glenburne: #10 The Traveler, #36 Cook's Nightmare

• by Copperfox: #46 Deep Question, #60 Wrong Approach

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It is not.

The poem's first line is the key clue to who it's about. If you're very observant, the second line also gives a clue.

Peeps

on Stranger

I had thought it was Golg for he was working on the wretched tunnel to Narnia. However, the lamps in the diggings did not glow cold and grey. So maybe I am wrong in assuming the answer to this riddle lies in The Silver Chair?

No, you're not wrong. You just haven't found the right gnome yet. There are only three or four who speak at all in the book, and you've named two of the thus far.

Peeps

on Stranger

What make you here
In cold, grey glow,
When light and life
Lie deep below?

Well I can't think of any other gnome names, although there was one that was called the Warden, right?

Correct. The Warden of the Marches of Underland, as I recall, and "what make you here?" are his first words to the three overworlders in the darkness. The lamps the gnomes strike are also described as 'cold, grey light'.

Peeps

VlrSryq.jpg

Yay we finally made our way through all the riddles!
Voting has now officially begun and will continue for the next 12 days. Since I had to group the poems because we didn't have enough poll options for each riddle to have its own spot, please explain here (in this thread) what you liked about your favorite riddle, or simply comment on any riddle you liked.

There once were some Narniacs bright
who focused their cognitive might
to pen riddles so fun
they charmed everyone
and kept guessers awake late at night.

Thanks to all who participated in this contest. I really loved interacting with your riddles! The poll closed on May 24 and the voting was low, but thank you all who took the time to cast your vote. Since it would be silly for me to send myself a prize, I will be sending Peepiceek The Way Into Narnia by Peter Schakel (unless he tells me he already has a copy). I think he really deserves special recognition for all the riddles he contributed, plus the masterful Savior stumper.

Well done, all!

RkcUfJ7.jpg

Back