Olympics

In general, I really like the Olympics... I don't usually tune in to specific events, but I enjoy watching whatever's on at the time that I turn on the TV. :p I'm always amazed at (and extremely jealous of) the athletic abilities that are showcased. Mostly, I just think it's cool that so many nations can come together to compete and celebrate in human achievements! It's really exciting event, when you think about it...

In general, I really like the Olympics... I don't usually tune in to specific events, but I enjoy watching whatever's on at the time that I turn on the TV. :p I'm always amazed at (and extremely jealous of) the athletic abilities that are showcased. Mostly, I just think it's cool that so many nations can come together to compete and celebrate in human achievements! It's really exciting event, when you think about it...

You took the words right out of my mouth, Lila:D

What about our lil gymnast, Gabby ... forgot her last name ... she did a great job, and hers is an inspirational story, daughter of a single mom, and the mom and her sisters sacrificed so Gabby could get the coaches and training and excel in gymnastics. I like stories like that, and great performances like hers.

What about our lil gymnast, Gabby ... forgot her last name ... she did a great job, and hers is an inspirational story, daughter of a single mom, and the mom and her sisters sacrificed so Gabby could get the coaches and training and excel in gymnastics. I like stories like that, and great performances like hers.

Gabby Douglas was great. A team and an individual all-around gold in women's gymnastic equals awesome. Her story of how she came to be at the Olympics is very inspiring as you say, and her performance there was brilliant. Color me very impressed with her.

Good thing you guys are watching it. All I see when I tune in is commercials so I quickly tune out. I guess that's what I get for watching regular TV. I only watch tele with adverts during Doctor Who series. :D

Good thing you guys are watching it. All I see when I tune in is commercials so I quickly tune out. I guess that's what I get for watching regular TV. I only watch tele with adverts during Doctor Who series. :D

There sure are a lot of commercials. It's best to watch with someone else so you can make fun of the commercials together, or that's what I've found.

Am I the only one who thinks Gabby Douglas is just SO awesome!? I was rooting for her the whole time :) She really deserved that gold!

gabbyweb3s-1-web.jpg

I agree, Patrick, about Gabby D. I really enjoyed her vivaciousness and amazing performances too. Isn't it great when sacrifice is rewarded?

Am I the only one who thinks Gabby Douglas is just SO awesome!? I was rooting for her the whole time :) She really deserved that gold!
No, if you look above your post you see Sunshine Rose and I had already said nice things about Gabby. We are very impressed.
I agree, Patrick, about Gabby D. I really enjoyed her vivaciousness and amazing performances too. Isn't it great when sacrifice is rewarded?
Totally agree! She is a bright spot in a pretty bright Olympics for the USA.

Gabby Douglas is terrific! :D She has such a sweet, genuine personality, and I appreciated how she gave the glory to God for her gold medal.

Sportswear for both men and women is often dictated as much by fashion as practicality. Look at the baggy shorts it's now common to see tennis players wearing. There's actually a very sexist assumption that what men wear is always dictated by practicality while women are slaves to fashion and want to 'flaunt themselves.' But sometimes the reverse is true

That is true. I didn't mean to imply that men always wear practical sports clothing. My point was simply that if less clothes did give a legitimate advantage in beach volleyball, the men would be in Speedos or something.

It could be worse though. In the ancient games athletes competed naked!

True, true. :D

I watched the Today show and they showed the Athletes Village! There's shops and there's even a place where the athletes can get haircuts! Strange, but true :D

Their cafeteria has international food, so you could get a bit of everything. It' neat.

My family was camping for the Opening Ceremony, so my dad taped it on his extremely futuristic iMac and AppleTV and we went downstairs with our pizza after we got back and watched it. FAN-TAS-TIC, might I just say.

I think it was Tuesday, I watched, in the dark, since my family had all gone to bed (it was like 12:30) as Michael Phelps became The Most Decorated Olympian of All Time. I was so proud I got to see it! I LOVE Michael Phelps, and when I get a boy turtle I'm naming him Phelps, after him :)

I'm rather sad the Olympics are over... Next time they'll be in Rio de Janero, and that's not as fun as England, plus I won't even be living in the house in 2016, I'll be in college. NOT FUN.

Well, I managed not to watch a single complete event during the entire two weeks period. Didn't watch the opening or closing ceremonies either. I still do not feel like I missed anything since I know for a fact that there were more commercials than actual event coverage. And with this tape delay stuff that NBC pulled, you could watch ONLY what them editors and producers decided you could watch, as opposed to a live event where you get to see all the details as they are happening. I'm sorry but when it comes to TV or movies, I just don't take whatever they want to ram down my throat.

However, I was interested for the odd and weird and offbeat news, like events and or activities that resulted in athletes being kicked out. I also watched the video of the Asian players (8, from 4 different countries) that were playing to lose. That was really something stupid. I'm glad the crowd booed the heck outta them. I would have demanded a refund and sued them. But all of this I watched and read online, through the official website and not NBCFAIL!

Throughout the Olympics I haven't watched much (was on holiday instead), but the bits I watched I quite enjoyedXD Exept I got confused during the closing ceremony and only heard about the opening one - I heard something about a giant baby and I got rather confused. I heard alot about American athletes whilst on holiday (since that's where I was) so America did awesome:D I was glad they beat China:p I especially loved how the Chinese contestant was crying with devastation when he got silver in diving but when England got bronze we all partiedXD
Proud of Yorkshire:D Some of you might not quite get it but quite a few of the British athletes were from Yorkshire, Yorkshire's been having a right party:)
By the end of it I was slightly gutted I didn't get to watch more of it, but I guess I'll just have to make an effort for 2016:D

Olympics Pyeong-Chang 2018

I resurrected this thread to talk Winter Games 2018. Have any of you been following them? I confess last night I binge watched all the ice-skating videos on the NBC Olympics site to get ready for the women's figure skating competition this evening... And I take unexplicable joy in the fact that Chloe Kim comes from my corner of the world :)

I have been watching the figure skating. I have to confess though that relaxation of the rules on music allowed since the last Winter Games has significantly diminished my enjoyment of the sport. Now I often find myself forced to watch with the sound muted.

I'm like you Hermit, I've not been impressed with figure skating this year. Especially with who is commentating. Ugh. :rolleyes:

As for watching, I've watched several nights, but I usually have to give up by 10:30 because I just can't get up the next morning if I stay up any later. 10:30 is actually pushing it for me anyway. I did watch Chloe Kim and Shaun White win their respective medals, and I did watch the ice dance final (the Canadians and the French blew it out of the park IMHO). Currently watching the women's free skate, but the chances of any American being on the podium are very, very, very slim at the moment.

Back