My Front Porch Looking In (Star Wars Prequel Re-write)

Dec. 26th: How Dare He?

“You just seemed preoccupied. Is everything okay?” those darn eyes of his bore into mine yet again but I didn’t have to tell a stranger my problems or feelings.

“I’m fine.” I shrugged his hand off my shoulder and started to walk on.

“I am a Jedi.”

I stopped and turned around. “That isn’t funny.”

His gray eyes twinkled as he laughed softly. “It isn’t meant to be, it’s the truth.”

“Why would I care?” I didn’t like him much as a stranger; but as a Jedi…I felt that he was reading my thoughts. I hated it. He smiled as if he had just read my thoughts and then he continued walking on past me. I shook my head, sighed in frustration, then walked after him and Jar Jar. They walked to the garage area and met Watto there. I and Jar Jar walked behind Qui-Gon and Watto as they discussed something about the podrace. I wasn’t really interested until…

“I’ll take that bet.” Qui-Gon said without hesitation.

Watto turned and looked at him with surprise. “You what?”

Qui-Gon remained calm. “I’ll wager my new racing pod against…say, the boy and his family.”

Watto shook his head. “No pod is worth three slaves; maybe two, but that’s a longshot. The girl and her mother then, the boy isn’t for sale.”

I joined Qui-Gon and I grabbed his shoulder, forcing him to look at me, fire in my blue eyes. “You can’t do this. What if he loses?”

Qui-gon gently removed my hand from his shoulder. “Let me handle this.”

I wanted to protest more but I shut my mouth. Qui-Gon was determined to make Watto see his point of view.

“The boy and his sister then.”

Watto pulled a small cube out of his pocket. “We’ll let face decide. Blue, it’s the boy and his sister; red his mother.”

Watto tossed the cube down but what he didn’t’ see is that Qui-Gon waved his hand slightly to make the cube land on blue. Watto was angry, and so was I.

“You won the small toss, outlander, but you won’t win the race so it makes little difference.”

Anakin, Padme, R2, Kitster, 3PO and Shmi entered the area; the humans on eopies with 3po and R2 towing the pod. I was still furious at what Qui-gon had done; how dare he try to manipulate our futures?

Watto flew past them out of the garage, but that didn’t stop him from saying, “Bonapa keesa pateeso, o wanna meetee chobodd.”

He laughed and continued past them. Anakin looked at me and Qui-gon. “What’d he mean by that?”

Qui-Gon helped Shmi down off the Eopie. “Nothing; I’ll tell you later.”

Anakin looked at me. I shrugged my shoulders and joined him and my mom. He and Kitster were talking; about Anakin never winning or finishing a race and Padme sounding just a little unsure of this. We all helped Anakin get himself and his pod ready for the race.

I needn’t go into details about that day, except that Anakin did in fact win the race, and he and I were free. But instead of feeling relief, I felt dread. What would this do to my family? Why couldn’t mom be freed as well? I wanted to hit something or someone out of frustration. Qui-Gon got the parts from Watto, and as he did so, released me and Anakin although Anakin didn’t know yet. He was taking the laden eopies to his ship and he wanted me to help install the hyperdrive. I hugged my mom, knowing it was the last time I’d probably see her, then I hugged Anakin.

“If I don’t come back, get my things, okay?” I whispered in his ear. A look of confusion filled his face but then he shook it off and nodded. Qui-gon offered me his hand and I stepped up behind him onto the eopie. Reluctantly, I wrapped my arms around his waist so I wouldn’t fall off.

“You’ve been quiet all day.”

A\N: Translation for WAtto's line is: Better stop your friends betting, or I'll end up owning him, too. I promise, aside from one line in Ep. 2 that that is the final Huttese in this part.

Keep up the good work kenobi it will be interesting to read again and its really going well this time skywalker. I just don't feel like doing mine anymore its just stopped telling itself to me. Kenobi add me to your pm list

Last edited:
Kenobi Meets Trouble (Dec. 28th)

“I’ve had things on my mind.” I said half-heartedly.

He turned his head around slightly. “I’m sorry if you hate me for what I did. But your mother wants a better life for you both.”

“If it means leaving my mom, I’d rather be a slave.” I snapped angrily.
“Your transmitter has already been deactivated and you’ve been freed.” Qui-gon said in his usual calm tone of voice that hardly ever was raised out of anger.

I removed my arms from around his waist, wanting to fall off. “I don’t care. I’m not going with you.”

I couldn’t see it but Qui-Gon was smiling slightly. “You may think differently once you meet my apprentice.”

“What does your apprentice have to do with anything?” I said, half-curious, half-ticked.

“You’ll find out.”

He pulled the Eopies to a stop as we arrived outside the ship. It was a silver, sleek looking thing; the nicest looking ship I’d ever seen. Although it was impressive, my eyes were drawn away from it to a young man walking towards us; he wore an outfit similar to Qui-gon’s, though it was mostly brown and cream colored. He had a braid on one side with different colored ribbons weaved on the end. When he got closer, I could tell he had blue-grey eyes. Though I could see him, he couldn’t see me yet.

Qui-Gon spoke to the young man. “Start getting this hyperdrive generator installed. I’m going back…some unfinished business. I won’t be long.”

“Why do I sense we’ve picked up another pathetic life form?” The young man asked.

“It’s the boy who’s responsible for getting us these parts. His sister will help you install the generator.”

I could see the look of surprise on his face. “His sister?”

Qui-gon motioned with his hand behind him. “Petra Skywalker, meet Obi-Wan Kenobi.”

I moved from behind Qui-gon so that Obi-Wan could see me. My blue eyes locked with his blue-grey ones. I couldn’t break the gaze; neither could he. Qui-gon’s voice spurred us both back to reality.

“I need to be going back.” He said, noticing the gaze between us.

Obi-Wan moved closer to the Eopie as I held Qui-Gon’s arm. As I started to get down, I felt strong hands wrap around my waist and guide me to the ground. When I released Qui-gon’s arm, I turned slightly and looked into Obi-Wan’s eyes. This time, though, I broke the gaze and stepped out of his arms. Qui-gon turned the Eopies and headed back to Mos Eisley. There was a minute or two of awkward silence between us before Obi-Wan broke the silence.

“So…um, the ship is this way.” He walked towards it.

“No kidding” I said under my breath.

In Love...Again???

He turned and looked at me, almost as if he had heard what I said, then continued on into the ship. He led me into the engine room. As I walked past him, our shoulders touched but I ignored it. I started working on the damaged hyperdrive, trying to rid my mind of him. As if sensing what I needed, he handed me a tool to help pry the damaged parts out. The trouble was, the part wasn’t releasing. I tugged and pulled at it; he moved behind me and extended his arms around me to try to help. I pushed him back.

“I can do it.”

He looked at me puzzled. “Sorry, I was only trying to help.”

By the look on his face, I knew he had his feelings hurt at least a little but he wiped it off his face. I continued pulling and tugging at the part. I thought I had it but it gave way when I was pulling it hard, and I fell backwards into Obi-Wan, landing on top of him. Our faces were inches apart. I didn’t realize just how clear his eyes were until I saw them really closely. His face started moving closer towards mine and his arms wrapped around my waist; our lips barely touched but I pulled away, pushing him down. I got up; breathing heavily, heart racing looking down at him.

“What’s wrong?” He asked me.

“We don’t know each other.” I said, shocked. How could I kiss a man whom I had known only for an hour? Strangely, I felt like I had known him my whole life and deep down, I KNEW I could trust him. I turned around and returned to extracting the damaged parts. Once that was done, I grabbed the new parts and started to install them.

Obi-Wan was sitting behind me against the bulkhead, arms crossed, legs stretched out in front of him. “How old are you?”

His voice distracted me. “Seventeen.”

“Really?” I could tell by the sound of his voice that he was a little taken aback. “You seemed older than that.”

I turned back around. “Thanks.” I said it under my breath. “And just how old are you, Jedi?”

“Twenty-five; I’ll be twenty-six in several weeks.” He said smiling slightly.

“Congratulations” I responded half-heartedly. “There, I got it all done now.”

He motioned for me to join him against the bulkhead but I stayed standing where I was.

“Do you always treat strangers this way or is it just Jedi?” He said with a smirk.

“I’m sorry; I’ve just been a little…testy lately.” I couldn’t believe I was apologizing to him! Right now he was being just a little bit of a smart aleck and it was getting on my nerves; yet I liked it.

He still kept that blasted smirk on his face. “Some Jedi have been known to do that.”

“Wipe that smirk off your face, Kenobi.” I said angrily, without realizing that I called him by his last name. He noticed and the smirk disappeared. I realized my mistake then and my face turned red as a Tattoine grub. I turned back and inwardly chided myself for getting so riled by him.

One important thing I didn’t know is that Obi-Wan was having a moment of déjà vu. I looked strangely like a fellow Jedi, Siri Tachi; and the way I treated him resembled her. That was why the smirk disappeared off his face after I lashed out at him. The eyes, the voice, the personality; it all resembled Siri. He slapped himself mentally; he was already in love with Siri. He didn’t need another woman to complicate things. Then again, one woman was enough to complicate everything.

Goodbyes are Never Easy (Jan. 3rd)

Meanwhile…

Anakin was gathering his things and saying goodbye to C-3PO while Qui-gon assured Shmi would take care of both me and Anakin. Qui-gon had sold the pod and gave the money to Shmi. Shmi and Anakin hugged then she sent him on his way. He started down the street, but he stopped and looked back at her then ran to her.

“I can't do it, Mom. I just can't.” He said tearfully. She knelt down to see him eye to eye.

“Ani, remember when you climbed the great dune in order to chase the Banthas away so they wouldn't be shot... Remember how you collapsed several times, exhausted thinking you couldn't do it?” He nodded his head as he remembered. “This is one of those times when you have to do something you don't think you can do. I know how strong you are, Ani. I know you can do this...” Tears were starting to form in her eyes as well.

“Will I ever see you again?” Anakin said, a tear slipping down his cheek.

Shmi smiled slightly. “What does your heart tell you?”

“I hope so... yes... I guess.” He tried to put on a brave face for his mom.

“Then we will see each other again.” Though she said the words, she had a sinking feeling she wouldn’t see me or Anakin ever again.

Anakin’s face now held determination. “I will become a Jedi and come back and free you, I promise, Mom.”

“No matter where you are, my love will be with you and Petra. Now be brave and don't look back... don't look back.” Shmi hugged him.

“I love you so much.” He said as she hugged him. They parted and he walked towards Qui-Gon…and his destiny.

Last edited:
An Even More Fateful Meeting-Jan. 7th.

Qui-gon and Anakin, once out of the town’s limits, started to run towards the ship. Qui-Gon had an uneasy feeling and it was confirmed when he heard a sound behind them.

“Anakin drop!” He said as a speeder came recklessly towards them and as soon as Anakin dropped to the ground, the speeder whizzed over him and the rider flipped off, igniting a lightsaber. Anakin ran to the ship and into the main hold.

“Qui-gon said to take off” he said breathlessly as he ran up to me and Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan immediately jumped up and ran to the cockpit, with Anakin, Padme, and myself behind him.

He sat down next to the pilot. “Over there, fly low.”

Ric Olie, the pilot, started up the engines and guided the ship towards Qui-gon and the black-robed attacker. Qui-Gon saw the lowered ramp and used the Force to jump up onto it, leaving the attacker in the sand. As Qui-gon collapsed in the main hold, Obi-Wan, I, and Anakin ran in towards him.

“Are you all right?” Anakin asked, concern filling his blue eyes.

“I think so... that was a surprise I won't soon forget.” Qui-gon said as he leaned back trying to catch his breath.

“What was it?” Obi-wan questioned, not sure why he had such a heavy feeling on his heart.

Qui-gon sighed. “I don't know... but he was well trained in the Jedi arts. My guess is he was after the Queen...”

“Do you think he'll follow us?” Anakin asked yet again; I had to smile at his questions. My little brother was one of the most curious people I knew, and there never seemed to be an end to his curiosity.

“We'll be safe enough once we're in hyperspace, but I have no doubt he knows our destination.” Qui-Gon said matter-of-factly.

Anakin looked at me then at Qui-Gon. “What are we going to do about it?”

Obi-Wan looked at Anakin, then at me, then finally at Qui-gon, confusion evident in his face.

“We shall be patient. Anakin Skywalker, meet Obi-Wan Kenobi.” Qui-gon motioned with his hand from Anakin to Obi-Wan. Anakin extended his hand out and Obi-Wan took it and shook it. I could tell from Anakin’s reaction that he was beyond thrilled.

“You’re a Jedi too? Pleased to meet you.” He said enthusiastically. Anakin looked at me again; my expression held no emotion, even though inwardly, my stomach was turning in knots and my heart felt like it would beat out of my chest.

A Meaningful Conversation (Jan. 9)

~Two Hours Later~

I couldn’t sleep so I got up from where I was lying down and walked to the engine room. Obi-Wan was sitting in the corner where I couldn’t see him. I sat down against the bulkhead, leaned my head back, and tried to at least doze off. I heard a creak and I opened my eyes. I couldn’t see anything in the dark room; but I knew someone was with me. I closed my eyes again and ignored the noise. For some reason, I knew it was Obi-Wan. I don’t’ know how I knew; I just did.

“You know it’s rude to stare at someone when they’re trying to sleep.” I said, still with my eyes closed.

I smiled as I heard a sudden creak; as if Obi-Wan had been thinking and I had interrupted his thoughts. “I didn’t mean to startle you, Kenobi.”

“I apologize; I shouldn’t have been watching you.” He said softly. He really didn’t regret it. He too, felt a connection that he couldn’t explain; almost as if he’d known me all my life and had just been reacquainted.

My smile never left my face. “It’s alright; you didn’t stare a hole through me.” I said, laughing softly. I heard his soft chuckle get a little louder as he got up, walked towards me, and sat down next to me.

“I never thanked you for helping with the hyper drive; it is running excellently now.” He said sincerely.

I shrugged my shoulders. “It was nothing; just helping out.”

He smiled at me but I didn’t see it. “You have a lot of talent for someone your age.”

I shrugged again, really wanting to go to sleep but not being able too. “Just credit it to years of forced labor with those kinds of things.” I finally just opened my eyes and stared at the bulkhead opposite me.

“Do you miss Tattoine?” He said, a certain level of concern in his voice.

I scoffed. “That rock? Heavens, no. I don’t care where we’re going; as long as it’s away from there.” I figured he’d believe me, but from the look on his face, he didn’t.

“I think you exaggerate.” He said, his eyes boring into mine. I averted his gaze and returned to staring at the bulkhead.

“How so?” I said, trying to get him off my back.

“I’m a Jedi; Jedi can sense these things.”

I rolled my eyes but inwardly, I reluctantly admitted that he was right…much as I despised him. “You’re right; I miss my mother. I didn’t get to say goodbye properly.”
My shell started to break as I realized how much I really did miss her. A tear slipped down my cheek; I didn’t notice it at first but I saw…and felt him reach over and wipe it away. Now why did he have to do that? My thoughts suddenly turned from my mother to what he did. The little rat.

“I’m sure she misses you just as much.” Obi-Wan said in that lovely warm voice of his.

“Yeah.” I said and I closed my eyes again. But in reality, I wanted to talk to him; let him know how I truly felt. I wanted to tell him that I was scared out of my mind to be caring for Anakin by myself. I felt like I could trust him with anything; and my life. But I held back. I ignored the desire to pour my heart out to him and instead focused on trying to sleep. He got up and walked back to the chair; once seated he began to meditate. I was able to go to sleep but I must have been cold because Obi-Wan took his robe off and laid it over me. I was a little confused when I felt a rough cloth against my face when I woke up but I once I realized what it was, I was grateful. The warm, albeit rough robe completely covered me; so, like any person would be comfortable and warm, I snuggled up under it and went back to sleep.

sorry....this is a fangirl section. :p :eek: :D

Landing on Coruscant (Jan. 12)

I felt strong, yet gentle hands grip my shoulder and shake me awake. I groggily opened my eyes and found myself staring into Obi-Wan’s face, which really, wasn’t a bad thing to wake up to.

He smiled at me as I tried to wake up. “We’ve just landed on Coruscant. I thought I’d wake you.”

I shook my head. “Where?”

“The capital of the Republic. We’re waiting for the Queen to be ready to leave.”

I was really confused now. “What Queen? I didn’t know we were traveling with a queen.”

The smile turned into a full-fledge grin. “Remember Padme, the girl that you met on Tattoine?”

“Yeah, why?”

“She is one of the Queen’s handmaidens.” He said matter-of-factly.

My eyes widened. “Really?”

He laughed slightly. “Really; come on.”

He offered his hand and helped me up. I handed his robe back to him. “Thank you.”

He nodded as he put his robe back on and walked to the front of the ship. I followed behind him and met Anakin and the others in the main hold. Queen Amidala, accompanied by her handmaidens, walked towards us. The Jedi bowed out of respect; she nodded and walked down the lowered ramp, her handmaidens following behind and around her. Her guards walked down the ramp then and at the last, the Jedi, myself, Anakin, R2D2 and Jar Jar Binks. We were greeted by Senator Palpatine and Chancellor Valorum.

Palpatine bowed slightly. “It is a great gift to see you alive, Your Majesty. May I present Supreme Chancellor Valorum?”

The Chancellor kept his face forward, not even looking at the Queen. “Welcome, Your Highness. It is an honor to finally meet you in person. I must relay to you how distressed everyone is over the current situation. I've called for a special session of the Senate to hear your position.”

Queen Amidala nodded and started walking past him to Senator Palpatine. “I am grateful for your concern, Chancellor.”

Sen. Palpatine starts to lead the Queen to a waiting air taxi. Her handmaidens, Jar Jar, Anakin and I start to follow them.

“There is a question of procedure, but I feel confident we can overcome it...” said Senator Palpatine, and then he walked out of earshot. Qui-gon and Obi-Wan stayed behind with Chancellor Valorum.

“I must speak with the Jedi Council immediately, Your Honor. The situation has become much more complicated.” Qui-Gon said. Anakin and I both turned around. Qui-gon motioned for us to go on without them but I stayed where I was. Anakin went on without question.

“Master, Chancellor; excuse me for a moment.” Obi-Wan said. Qui-Gon and the chancellor nodded as Obi-Wan bowed slightly and walked towards me.

I crossed my arms. “Are we the complication?”

He touched my arm and his voice was lowered; he spoke softly. “You’re anything but a complication.” Boy that’s really a contradiction, Obi-Wan thought. “We’ll catch up.”

I didn’t know it but apparently, the look on my face was uncertainty and fear. “It’ll be okay” he said in that blasted soft voice of his.

I shrugged him off. “Why wouldn’t it be okay?” and made sure that I re-assumed a face with no emotion. “I’ll be fine.” Then I walked off; just like that. If I had looked back, I would’ve seen Obi-Wan standing there looking like he’d just been rejected. Maybe he had been.

Back