Who was Lucy Barfield

Nbaballer725

Well i dont really know that much about her and i was expecting other people to know something about her as well. I know her Father was Owen Barfield and Maud Barfield. She was adopted and has two brothers Geoffrey and Alexander. Lucy was 15 when C.S. Lewis when he dedicated the book to her.

If anyone can help me find out more about her please reply . :D

She was C.S. Lewis's God daughter.

She died recently. Up to the end she enjoyed answering the stacks of mail that came in from curious fans of Narnia.

Her father Owen Barfield, a member of the Inklings, is the friend who helped Lewis see the truth about God.

Lucy Barfield was born in November 1935 and so would have been twelve when Lewis began writing the story and nearly fifteen when it was finally released. Whether she indeed felt herself too old for the book when it appeared in 1950 has not been recorded. Lucy Barfield died on May 3, 2003.

Inside Narnia

I think she was his god daughter or niece or something? Did you know Skandar and Soumaya (beautiful names- though I'm not a Skandar fan) are distantly related to Charles Darwin? :eek:

theorangejello said:
wow!!
skandars sister is ^ souyama --- i spelt her name wrong i know

btw whats ms.
it's short for multiple sclorosis (sp?)
ms is sort of like a desiese (sp?), but it is not contageous and you do not know when it can strike. If it is bad, you could lose the mouvement of a body limb. The limb will remain attached to the body, but you cannot move it unless you use a limb that can move. We don't know a whole lot about it, so we don't know when it could strike. It could strike in a year of ten years. It doesn't necessarily have to be genetic.

(my teacher explained it last year when he found out he had it. I hope this is a good explination :eek: )

Lion was dedicated to Lucy Barfield, but she may not have been the person who inspired the character of Lucy. This anecdote of Jill Flewett related by Doug Gresham is something I first heard on this thread, but there's no reason to doubt it. If he says that it was Jill Flewett who inspired the character, then that's probably who it was.

i think that david greshman (CSL's step-son and co-producer--was it co-producer, i'm not sure.. :)--of LWW) is answering Narnia fan-mail/questions in Lucy Barfield and CSL's place.... :)

Who Lucy Barfield was...

There is a short, warm write up about Lucy Barfield in "The Companion to Narnia," by Paul Ford.

Anyone who is unfamiliar with the book can read a summary of it here:
http://www.christianbook.com/Christ...91276&netp_id=378215&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW

or you can search Amazon.com of course.

From the book:
"...she told Walter Hooper [author of "Past Watchful Dragons"] how much the dedication meant to her. 'What I could not do for myself, the dedication did for me. My godfather gave me a greater gift than he could have imagined.'

Hooper wrote: As every creature comfort was taken from her, and she had lost her sight, Lucy's faith in God grew and blessed not only her, but also those who knew her. "

A truly amazing tribute.

Back