Celtic Music

Driad54

This is a thread for you to post your favorite celtic musicians/bands/singers, anything related to Celtic Music. Just so we can get some names out there, and people can discover more music.

I'll start us off:

1. Dropkick Murphys
2. Flogging Molly
3. Frank Mackey and the Keltic Cowboys

Anyone have others?

Heres a link to the irish thread: http://www.narniafans.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19613
Post if your Irish!

Wolfe Tones

they are the best!
I L.O.V.E. Celtic music! i grew up on it..and its still my fav!

Wolfe Tones are really good.:D

Enya-alright sometimes,depending on the song.
Silly Wizard-my favorite
Celtic Woman-love them.,:)
Dougie MacLean-love it!
The Tannahill Weavers...really good,older sounding
Altan..they're ok....
Wolfstone-best Scottish rock ever!

Probably some others if I thought hard.....

Hi, everyone after awhile away from the forums I stumbled on this thread. I love Celtic Music, and have been playing Irish whistles and flutes for over a year now, and I almost only listen to Celtic and Classical Music, and have quite a long list of favorites. So I’ll throw out a few recommendations:

Celtic Woman, saw them in concert, and they were great!
The High Kings, new band from David Downes creator of Celtic Woman.
The Chieftains, also saw them in concert, probably the best band for Irish Traditional Music.
Deanta, good Celtic folk music and an excellent lead singer, unfortunately they haven’t played together since 1997.
Cara Dillon, good singer from Northern Ireland does a lot of Folk-Pop crossover. And has a great Uilleann Piper, James O’Grady, in her band.

For more traditional stuff:
I’d second the Wolfe Tones, Dougie MacLean and Altan, and there’s also Luke Kelly and the Dubliners, The Clancys and The Bothy Band. I’ve heard a little of Mike McGoldrick and Lunasa, and thought they were quite good.

There’s also John McDermott who does quite a few Ballads from Scotland and Ireland.
And there’s always Anuna (the choir from Riverdance) for Choral/Celtic music.

:eek: Err… I’m sure there’s more I’d recommend that I can’t think of at the moment, but that’s a start! :)

Last edited:
I'm glad theres some who like Irish music haha.

Yeah I'd deffinitely agree with Altan and Celtic Women, both very good. I think Enya is excellent. The soundtrack to Braveheart by James Horner is very good as well, if anyone wants to check that out.

Theres a Scot band called the Real McKenzies that aren't too bad.

You also have Gaelic Storm and Young Dubliners

Yeah, people should definitely check out the soundtrack to Braveheart I’ve spent many an hour playing along with it on the Low Whistle! Has anyone heard the Waking Ned Devine soundtrack? That’s another good one.

THE ROGUES!! That's a bagpipe-centered group that performs at Renaissance festivals and Scottish-Irish fairs. They are not quite like anyone else. Not everyone will try a duet for Uillean pipes and trombone! As a matter of fact, I have said somewhere that I wish they were allowed to do "seagoing" music for VOTDT.

ooh! thought of another...Albanac..i got to see them at at fairy festival (yes, like a bunch of people dressed up in renaissance type costumes and wings.) and they are AWESOME!
edit: OMG Anuna! i've wanted their cd soooooo badly since this summer! can't find it though :(

Last edited:
I thought Waking Ned Divine was a very humorous movie, haha I laughed so hard when he was on that motorbike. But no I've not heard the soundtrack

(CF, I don't but I'll bet it's worth checking out if someone can let us konw!)

Well I LOVED the Braveheart soundtrack and I think Enya is my favourite vocalist of all time. And thanks so much everyone for listing all these bands! I've loved almost all celtic or Irish music I've heard and I'm totally gonna check out some of these artists :)

There should have been a thread like this a long time ago. :)
I thought I was the only one who liked Celtic music! All of my friends like. . . rap and such. And it goes without saying that Enya is the best.

oh wow, I just found this thread as I'm listening to a Celtic Ladies song. it's in my siggy The Sky and the Dawn and the Sun

GG:I like Celtic Ladies..They're really good.:D

Does anyone know anything about "DUN," the male chorus which performed in Michael Flatley's "Lord of the Dance"?

I don't..but they were great in Lord of the Dance.I have the soundtrack,and the music is amazingly beautiful.:)

I LOVE Celtic Music. I infact have two tin whistles which I like to ply and I love both playing Celtic tunes on my violin or listen to them :D

My favourite bands are
Celtic Woman :) I love their music so much
Celtic Thunder, I like their voices a lot
All sorts of Celtic Folk Music

Does anyone know anything about "DUN," the male chorus which performed in Michael Flatley's "Lord of the Dance"?

I haven’t seen Lord of The Dance, but I searched all over the internet and can’t find anything about them. I’ll let you know if I come across anything!

Hey ~Sunnyromance~, just curious, what kind of tin whistles do you play?

Last edited:
I LOVE Celtic Music. I infact have two tin whistles which I like to ply and I love both playing Celtic tunes on my violin or listen to them :D

My favourite bands are
Celtic Woman :) I love their music so much
Celtic Thunder, I like their voices a lot
All sorts of Celtic Folk Music

I'm learning to play Scottish tin whistle..I can play a scale,and a couple short songs right now.:D

Back