Do you think Susan ever made it to Aslan's Country?

Do you think Susan ever made it to Aslan's country?

• Yes

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
Okay, I want a straightforward answer. None of this "well, she might have but..." I want 'yes', 'no' or 'undecided'. I personally believe she did make it.

Well, she might have, but... ;)

Lewis never wrote on the subject that I'm aware of, so no one can say for certain. I tend to believe that she would have come to her senses after losing her entire family in the train wreck. Call it hope, if you want to.

I was almost finished with my Legacy story but lost it with a computer issue. I haven't taken it up, yet. In my story, I eventually came to show how Susan came back to her Narnian memories and made it to Real Narnia. For her siblings, it would seem to be only a day had passed so the reunion would not be hard for them.

MrBob

She made it, but only after a great deal of disappointment in life. She had a lion-shaped hole in her heart that ultimately could only be filled with one thing.

she must of, think about it,if you knows that she can enter narnia again and her whole families dead then she would of entered it out of guit and the love of her family and narnia.

I'd expect so. :) I kind of feel that's the intention for what would happen eventually...

If not for just of her love and sorrow at her family's death, which would show her deep heart; and then further, her remembering the times of Narnia and Aslan himself. Aslan to know she once again remembers and believes, would be enough for her to eventually go to Aslan's country.

I think CS Lewis was stuck with the classical Margaret Mitchell paradox. That being when MM wrote Gone With the Wind she knew there would be a lot of people anxious to see Rhett Butler take Scarlett back, but there would be a significant number of people entrenched against seeing a backstabbing huzzy win out in the end. So she deliberately ended the novel with Rhett walking out on her and her saying she would get him back SOMEDAY.

Did she or didn't she? Well Margaret Mitchell is dead, like CS Lewis, and both of their works are still debated among the "Yes's" and "No's". It was both their intentions to let the readers come to a decision based upon their desires and their understanding of the cosmos and why shrinkwrap is so hard to get off new CD's.

In my opinion, I stand with those who vote yes... After all "once a king or queen of Narnia, always a king or queen." That said, I agree with Glenburne and Evening Star that her journey to Aslan's country probably would have many twists and turns, disappointments and sorrows. If I were to create my own Susan sequel, I would imagine that the tragic loss of her family would send her into shock, draining the allure of the world of glamour and flirtations. Then, in her grief, she would start on her own journey of pain and discovery that eventually leads to her meeting Aslan again but by another name...

Back when TDL was more active, more than one member wrote a "Saving Susan" story. Susan's shallowness did bar her from being IN NARNIA anymore; but this is not the same thing as her being eternally lost and condemned to the flames below.

Phillip Pullman, the spiteful slanderer who pretended to believe that Mister Lewis was a racist (willfully ignoring the fact that Lewis depicted WHITE Telmarines as bad guys BEFORE he ever depicted any Calormenes as bad guys), claimed that Susan was cruelly barred from the Stable. This also is a lie; Susan still was IN MORTAL EXISTENCE ON EARTH at the time of the Stable Judgment, so the Stable simply was not an issue for her either way. She was no more eternally lost beyond recovery at that point, than the Apostle Peter was eternally lost beyond recovery at the moment he denied Jesus.

The series "His Dark Materials" proves Pullman to be a hater of God; so of course he would want to believe that Aslan would abandon Susan to everlasting perdition.

My idea of a Saving Susan story would take into account her desire to be glamorous; she would be encountered as a woman over thirty, twice divorced and childless. Then, happening upon the place where the travel-rings were buried, she would find two GUINEA PIGS appearing-- the same guinea pigs Digory Kirke left sleeping in the Wood Between the Worlds. They would be able to talk to her, and thus-- even though they themselves never saw Narnia-- would make her unable any longer to delude herself about Aslan being made up.

Last edited:
That is a good question. It gets so misinterprets. J.K Rowling says that Susan is left out of Aslan's country because she's interested in lipsticks and boys. "I have a huge problem with that." Phil Pullman even says, "Oh, she's growing up."

I think she does get to Aslan's Country eventually. I think it's a matter of timing. Perhaps finding out the death of her family in the railway accident was a traumatic thing for her. That may have been when she comes around to start believing in Narnia again.

So I think Susan gets to Aslan's Country. The door of her fate is left wide open.

In his lying article "The Dark Side of Narnia," Pullman claims that Susan was among those turned away at the stable in Aslan's judgment, which would mean that Susan was lost beyond redemption. Lewis said NO SUCH THING; Pullman just WANTED it to be so, in order to slander a man whose popularity he envied.

There is no language in which "Susan lost her queenship" is identical with "Susan is condemned to the everlasting flames." We have no reason to respect the arguments of the man who pretended to believe that Lewis was a racist because he depicted evil Calormenes. BEFORE ever depicting any Calormenes, Lewis had already depicted evil Telmarines who were of EUROPEAN ancestry.

I think Susan lost her queenship the moment she started portraying Narnia as a childish pretend game they used to play. I don't have queenship, and I don't feel condemned to Hell. Her not having queenship would not be a death sentence.

Perhaps some light would be shed on this if we assume that a loyal subject like Lewis would envision the entire coronation ceremony in Narnia, had it been portrayed in detail, as somewhat like Elizabeth's coronation in 1953. A religious service that basically marries the person of the monarch to the throne...much like a marriage. She would have vowed to uphold and defend the principles upon which the nation was founded, and since it was founded by Aslan himself, he would be the living constitution. If she turned her eyes from Aslan, she abrogated her constitutional mandate. If she accepted the Christ as Jesus of Nazareth, she would of course enter glory as a Christian, but not necessarily as a Narnian. And I don't see any sign in Lewis' works that Susan became anti-religious, just non-Narnian.

"Once a king or queen of Narnia, always a king or queen of Narnia." This is what Aslan said upon the coronation of the Pevensies. Would Aslan renege on that or would he always accept Susan as a queen of Narnia no matter how she acted?

Well, if a crowned king has a still-living mother, she is referred to as the Queen Mother.

Maybe Susan could be called the Queen Slightly Narcissistic Sister.

I am quite partial to my particular fan-fic version of Susan's redemption that I posted years ago. I firmly believe Susan came back.

I'm surprised the P's lived so long in Narnia without having children there - for a start, Lucy and Susie would be getting almost daily proposals of marriage.

Back