The Lord of the Rings- J.R.R. Tolkien

Yeah, I get that each book in the trilogy is divided into 2 sub-books. And that Frodo and Sam won't show up till the second book of the The Two Towers. Gandalf's army and the trees just saved Aragorn, Legolas, Theoden, and Gimli is where I am now.

Yeah, I get that each book in the trilogy is divided into 2 sub-books. And that Frodo and Sam won't show up till the second book of the The Two Towers. Gandalf's army and the trees just saved Aragorn, Legolas, Theoden, and Gimli is where I am now.
Cool. Wasn't sure because you kept mentioning that there was no mention of Frodo and Sam yet. 😀

Very disappointed that Spotify dropped an audio version of TLOTR which I would listen to at the gym. Found a less quality version on archive.org.

Last edited:
The text of The Hobbit that I am reading starts off with, I guess, a rundown of publication errors, such as incorrect translations of the runes on Thror's map. Also, entire chapters apparently have some problems. Of course, I have not read the whole thing or different versions to be sure, but the very first page discusses this at length.

Finally reached book 4 in the The Two Towers.
I wasn't really impressed with the magic rope of Sam's. It reminds me of Harry Potter's cloak of invisibility, weak plot development. Thought better of Tolkien. There are ways to have saved the rope as long as it had been longer. In the movie you are not sure the rope is magic. Looks more like the rope just slips off because Sam messed up the knot. Sam is more of a simpleton in the movies. I never liked books that used magic to do tricks. In Lewis magic is more profound in its workings. Caspian had a magic map but it wasn't important to the story. It was just a treasure he had acquired in his voyage.

Frodo and Sam seems to have switched personalities in The Two Towers. Frodo was a lot more naive in The Fellowship of the Ring and now he is much more wise. Sam on the other hand showed much more experienced while now he is clearly out of his league. Book has really slowed down since I got to book 4.

I am about thru with The Two Towers. Frodo looks like he is dead from the attack of the big spider. I remembered from the movie that he lived. Well, on to the second book of Harry Potter next. Again, I have not read the Harry Potter books before or seen the movies.

I did find how the book dealt with the end of The Two Towers not as good as the movie. In the Book Sam puts on the ring to hide from the orcs and overhear their plans. In the movie he is able to hide and overhear the orcs without using the ring. I find the movie version much better in the character of Sam.

The text of The Hobbit that I am reading starts off with, I guess, a rundown of publication errors, such as incorrect translations of the runes on Thror's map. Also, entire chapters apparently have some problems. Of course, I have not read the whole thing or different versions to be sure, but the very first page discusses this at length.
Not really. I believe the Hobbit page you're talking about might have been written by Tolkien as a way to explain things that changed with his writing of The Lord of the Rings (which took him about 16 years or so to write).

I like the Frodo-Sam interface. It really develops the Characters. Merry and Pippin never get developed because they are competing with all the king's men. They also should have kept Aragron as just Strider the Ranger longer rather than the king waiting for his throne.

Back