Are the Calormenes metaphorical?

unleavened said:
Also recognize that things that seem man made DO have spiritual forces behind them. That's what I believe anyway. If man "invents" something contrary to God's truth, Saten was probably in on it somehow.

Chew on this mentally for a bit. Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. It poses a real threat to Christianity, more real than many religions. (That is as threatening as someting can be to the God of the universe.) I wouldn't put it past Lewis to figure this out and draw a bit of a parallel in his book even if it is not a direct parallel.

Your first point, I have to agree with... Anything against Christianity, in my opinion, is influenced by Satan. This doesn't mean that it is Satanic, or morally false, (necasarily), but it means that Satan is using it to guide people away from God's truth. I hope I put that right, and didn't come across as slating other religions and saying everyone in them is evil... :( Not my intention, if so... However, this does not mean that he is directly physically involved. Satan didn't appear to Neitszche, Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Pol Pot, or many other of the men and women who have contributed to the sufferings of so many people... And yet the deeds they did are clearly Satan's work. I always think of Satan using our own natural prejudices and needs, and turning them into something vile.

And the point about Islam... to be honest, I see Islam as less of a threat than other things. History is shown that the harder Christian's are oppressed and persecuted, the stronger they become. Please don't think I'm putting down how nasty Islamic States can be, because I'm not. But it is perhaps an equal danger being in places where Agnosticism and Atheism are expanding a huge amount. I don't know how Christianity is in America, but in Britain...
I'm in a school of 1500 people. I have met perhaps two other people who go to church, and I think that they're agnostics. It's rather depressing.

As always however, these are just my opinions, which, knowing me, may very well be wrong... Just take them as something to think over and throw away if you wish. :)

Last edited:
Johan 72109 said:
Isn't that the dwarves in TLB?
Sorry, I meant:
when a non-religious person reads CON, does he see any symbolism in it? If so, what symbols does he see?

Johan 72109 said:
But it is perhaps an equal danger being in places where Agnosticism and Atheism are expanding a huge amount. I don't know how Christianity is in America, but in Britain...
I'm in a school of 1500 people. I have met perhaps two other people who go to church, and I think that they're agnostics. It's rather depressing.
Very much agree, Johan. Faith in Christ is alive in America, but I work with many missions organizations that share your concern: the UK and Europe have become "post-Christian," where Christianity once flourished and Christian values helped to make life better for everyone, people feel they no longer need Christ. And once a society has become atheistic/agnostic, it becomes very difficult to interest individuals in religion -- they see it as backward and primitive, something they are now "beyond."

inkspot said:
people feel they no longer need Christ. And once a society has become atheistic/agnostic, it becomes very difficult to interest individuals in religion -- they see it as backward and primitive, something they are now "beyond."
i very much agree with this. i live in vancouver, and that sums up most of my old school. there most my classmates (who mostly were awesome people, and i was friends with a lot of them) had very little interest in christianity.

Yeah, I find agnosticism incredibly prevalent- specially at University. The problem we have is (I go to a college that is famous for being liberal and welcoming to all different kinds of people) that people think that believing anything is somehow offensive or exclusive to other people. Of course, in one way that's true, but all it means is that there are tons of people milling around not committing to anything or even thinking that they should.

Johan 72109 said:
Your first point, I have to agree with... Anything against Christianity, in my opinion, is influenced by Satan. This doesn't mean that it is Satanic, or morally false, (necasarily), but it means that Satan is using it to guide people away from God's truth. I hope I put that right, and didn't come across as slating other religions and saying everyone in them is evil... :( Not my intention, if so... However, this does not mean that he is directly physically involved. Satan didn't appear to Neitszche, Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Pol Pot, or many other of the men and women who have contributed to the sufferings of so many people... And yet the deeds they did are clearly Satan's work. I always think of Satan using our own natural prejudices and needs, and turning them into something vile.

And the point about Islam... to be honest, I see Islam as less of a threat than other things. History is shown that the harder Christian's are oppressed and persecuted, the stronger they become.
I agree with you in the first paragraph completely.

Looking back on my comment about Islam being the most threatening, I'd like to say perhaps that was said too hastily. It's not for me to rate the threats Saten presents. You are correct in saying Atheism and Agnisticism are also very prevolent in the oposition of Chistianity.

I've been thinking about the original question a little. Lewis did a very good job of intigrating many characteristics of forces oposing Christianiy into Calermine religion and culture.
Depiction of tash - think totum polls and Egypt's God's
Turbins - think Islam
Bowing out of room (in HHB) - thin eastern cultures.
"the tisrock, may he live forever" - also like Egypt in glorifying human rulers
I don't know much about Rome and Greece or at least I can't remember it now, but it's likely that they are in there too.
In conclution: The parallel is, in my opinion, not so much only to Islam, but to many cultures and religions.

Last edited:
Predictions:

When the Calormenes finally appear on screen in the new movies, they will not wear turbans, wield scimitars, or have skin any darker than the average Italian.

Perhaps they will be "re-imagined" as Germanic tribesmen? Pre-Christian Celts with blue facepaint? Or something more daring?

I know!

A Bible-thumping horde of fundamentalist Christians seeking the destruction of the diverse, tolerant, rationalist state of Narnia!

Okay, so that's going too far. But I'm bracing myself for a "New Lewis for a new millennium."

Oh, and Tumnus will be gay. ;)

Gryphon said:
the calomorens are based off of the muslims. calomorens worship a god named Tash. if any of you have read the last battle, there is one point in the book where C.S. Lewis explains how Tash and Aslan are two compleatly diffrent people. Like Allah and God are two compleatly diffent people. Muhammed said that an angel of the lord gave him the gospels he preached but in the bible, it says condem any angel that gives you a gospel. besides, demons are fallen angels and i have little doubt in my mind that muhammed did see an angel. the angel, i believe though, was a fallen demon. same goes to mormons.

Sorry to tell you this but there is no concept of fallen Angels in Islam. IN Islam Angels are created by to serve god only. They have no free will. So they can't not disobey god's commands.

Last edited:
samven582 said:
Sorry to tell you this but there is no concept of fallen Angels in Islam. IN Islam Angels are created by to serve god only. They have no free will. So they can't not disobey god's commands.
But remember that just b/c Islam doesn't acknowledge fallen angels, doesn't mean they don't exist. The Bible tells us they do, So I believe they do. We normally call them demons. What Samven is saying is that Mohamed did see an angel, just not the kind of angel he thought it was. He thought it was God's messenger, while many, including myself, suspect that what he saw was actually a fallen angel or demon, though he didn't recongnize it as such.

Folks, don't confuse the Calormenes with Muslims. The fact that they worship an idol clearly indicates that even if they were Middle-Eastern transplants (which I'm sure he was thinking), it would have been from the pre-Islamic days. The culture and mannerisms ar clearly from Mesopotamian/Persian region. The question of how Islam opposes Christianity is a valid one, but I think you're entangling the Calormene question unnecessarily.

unleavened said:
But remember that just b/c Islam doesn't acknowledge fallen angels, doesn't mean they don't exist. The Bible tells us they do, So I believe they do. We normally call them demons. What Samven is saying is that Mohamed did see an angel, just not the kind of angel he thought it was. He thought it was God's messenger, while many, including myself, suspect that what he saw was actually a fallen angel or demon, though he didn't recongnize it as such.

We normally call them demons.

We called them jinns. The Quran says that God created three beings. Angels made out of light, jinns made out of fire and man

What Samven is saying is that Mohamed did see an angel, just not the kind of angel he thought it was.

Your right Mohammed (SWT) say Angel. It was angel gabriel. The same Angel or holy ghost you say gave Mary the good news she was having a son.

He thought it was God's messenger, while many, including myself, suspect that what he saw was actually a fallen angel or demon, though he didn't recongnize it as such

you should read this article

http://www.islamonline.net/english/Quran/2004/07/article22.shtml

Last edited:
PrinceOfTheWest said:
Folks, don't confuse the Calormenes with Muslims. The fact that they worship an idol clearly indicates that even if they were Middle-Eastern transplants (which I'm sure he was thinking), it would have been from the pre-Islamic days. The culture and mannerisms ar clearly from Mesopotamian/Persian region. The question of how Islam opposes Christianity is a valid one, but I think you're entangling the Calormene question unnecessarily.

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, but I hope I can contribute something meaningful to this interesting discussion right away.

First let me say that I agree with PrinceofTheWest. To me, its obvious the Calormenes represent Middle Easterners, but not necessarily Muslims persay. Also, the Middle East includes many cultures and religions from many different time periods, and I think that Lewis seems to be focused on the Pre-Islam Middle East. This fits well within the historical timeline if one were to assume that Aslan and Narnia are metaphorical for Christendom. Christianity came centuries before Islam and conflicts between the Greek/Roman empires of the Mediterranean, who heralded many of the ideals espoused by Western tradition, and the monarchial/dictatorial Persian empire of the Middle East, had already been taking place for centuries. The reason why these fantasy authors like Lewis and Tolkien juxtapose a kind of European/Christian society with a Middle-Eastern one is because the societies and cultures are so different and are therefore intended to contrast with one another for various literary and plot purposes.

Also, the previous post by Gryphon does not accurately depict Allah or what was revealed to Muhammad by a long shot. Here is the quote:

"the calomorens are based off of the muslims. calomorens worship a god named Tash. if any of you have read the last battle, there is one point in the book where C.S. Lewis explains how Tash and Aslan are two compleatly diffrent people. Like Allah and God are two compleatly diffent people. Muhammed said that an angel of the lord gave him the gospels he preached but in the bible, it says condem any angel that gives you a gospel. besides, demons are fallen angels and i have little doubt in my mind that muhammed did see an angel. the angel, i believe though, was a fallen demon. same goes to mormons."

Any speculation as to whether Tash is metaphorical for Allah and Allah being the devil is simply ludicrous. There is a reason why Islam is called an Abrahamic monotheisic religion. Muslims claim to worship the God of Abraham, not the devil. Allah is just an Arabic word for God, and it is the same exact word in Palestinian Aramaic(which makes sense since Arabic and Aramaic are related linguistically), which is the language originally spoken by Christ and the people who lived in his area. So the way that Christ referred to God was the same exact way that Muslims refer to him, as "Allah". This is not just a coincidence of a linguistic nature, as it holds a deep symbolic significance for those who speak Arabic including both Arab Christians and Muslims as well as Non-Arab Muslims. Muslims believe that they worship the same God that Christ worships, and the same God that Jews worship.

The devil in Islam is not a fallen angel, but the member of another race that God created called the Jinn. And from this race are helpers of the devil, who are called Shayaateen (A word for the devil in Semitic languages including Arabic is Shaytan, which is probably where the word Satan derives from, and hence his helpers are derived from this name as well) This is especially interesting in light of the fact that Lewis writes in one of the chronicles(I forget which one) that the White Witch is part Jinn, which would tie her character more to the devil than does Tash. As far as I know, Christianity has no concept of Jinn except for the loosely defined term of "demon". But Lewis doesn't use the word "demon", but rather the word "Jinn".
So in conclusion I think there is more of a parallel between Jadis and the devil rather Tash and the devil.

These are just some of my thoughts. I hope I haven't offended anyone or anyone's beliefs.

DunadainofArrakis said:
So in conclusion I think there is more of a parallel between Jadis and the devil rather Tash and the devil. These are just some of my thoughts. I hope I haven't offended anyone or anyone's beliefs.
Welcome, Dunadain, I didn't see you post before. Your thoughts are very valid, and I had not thought of Jadis' ancestry connecting her to Satan (more clearly than Tash can be connected), but I can see what you mean.

Also, I don't think Gryphon meant to imply that Muslims think they are worshipping Satan or the devil. Rather, I think she meant that the angel who told Mohammed to worship God in this new way (Islam) might have actually been a demon who hoodwinked Mohammed into forming a religion that does not believe in Christ as Savior, which would, of course, leave them outside His saving power unless they rejected their Islamic faith and trusted Him. You can see why a demon would want to do this. (I mean, if you believe in Christ, you can see why His enemies would want to found a powerful religion that doesn't believe in Him ...)

Back