Aslan's Other Names

Oh, about the Islam's God name there is 99 name. And the usual name for Islam's God is Allah. So there is 100 name for Islam's God. But the main name is Allah.

Narnia (the “old” Narnia, not the one they end up in at the end of LB) is not Heaven; it’s an alternate reality, basically Lewis’s idea of what a world would be like if God chose to create one where magic was real and so were any number of what are mythical creatures in this world, plus the whole talking-animals thing. Identifying Tash with Allah and the Calormenes with Muslims is extremely dodgy; if I remember rightly (you’d think I’d remember, having read HHB again only a few weeks ago) there are a number of gods worshipped in Calormen, which Muslims would be dead against, and there’s no human sacrifice in Islam.

May I recommend the occasional sentence break, less use of multiple punctuation points, and perhaps a little less screaming at people who don’t think the way you do?

Lol

Malacandra said:
May I recommend the occasional sentence break, less use of multiple punctuation points, and perhaps a little less screaming at people who don’t think the way you do?
ABSOLUTELY NOT! I will reserve my right to raise my caps and scream whenever I sense the SLIGHTEST dissension from my viewpoint!!!!
:p
JK - tee-hee

NO UPPERCASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO MULTIPLE PUNCTUATION POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY CAN'T YOU ALL BE FREAKIN' CALM LIKE ME????????????

Cheery bye! :D

inkspot said:
ABSOLUTELY NOT! I will reserve my right to raise my caps and scream whenever I sense the SLIGHTEST dissension from my viewpoint!!!!
:p
JK - tee-hee

If you're looking for a spanking, you're in the right shop. :p

(Oops - pas devant les enfants - my bad. :D )

Narnia_Queen said:
ok people. Aslan is Jesus. Narnia is Heaven and whatever other names there are for Jesus that is what C.S.Lewis is talking about he is a christian and meant for his books to be christian like when Aslan died on the stone table for Ed then coming back that is like when Jesus died on the cross for sin then came back so do all of you get the connection now? i hope all of you do cause if not WHAT ARE YA DOIN EVEN LIKING NARNIA!?!?!?!?! oh and what my bro said is that Tash in Allah which makes sense to me people that believe in him are stupid but still there needed to be some kind of evil in the narnian books

okay , yah i know no one has written in this in awhile but i came across itand i wanted to reply. as a muslim, AND STILL LOVING NARNIA(christianity and islam are more similar than you think) , i would have to say there are 99 names that we know and Allah is one of them the hundredth we do not know.

secondly, were you saying Allah is Tash???? i dont know if you realize this, but Allah is God. same person(if you want to call Him a person) , different names. thats all. Satan is supposed to be tash, i think.

i hope there arent any misunderstandings...but this is what i got out of it. ;)

Narnia_Queen said:
ok people. Aslan is Jesus. Narnia is Heaven and whatever other names there are for Jesus that is what C.S.Lewis is talking about he is a christian and meant for his books to be christian like when Aslan died on the stone table for Ed then coming back that is like when Jesus died on the cross for sin then came back so do all of you get the connection now? i hope all of you do cause if not WHAT ARE YA DOIN EVEN LIKING NARNIA!?!?!?!?! oh and what my bro said is that Tash in Allah which makes sense to me people that believe in him are stupid but still there needed to be some kind of evil in the narnian books

...whoa.

Sorry if I get pwned for this, but shouldn't we keep in mind that Lewis wanted everyone to read the books without looking for any kind of Christian allegory? He wanted them simply to be taken for what they are. No back roads, no secret codes.
He's Aslan and he is known by other names.

I'm not doubting that Lewis probably got the inspiration from his religious experiences, but I'm just saying that we should take them as Lewis wanted us to. And trust me, I'm sure everyone that's read, seen, or heard about Narnia had heard about the connection. I'm sure the "allegory" is more known than the books by now. But I still think that we should read them as Lewis wanted us to.

Also, I believe that Tash is Lucifer, not Allah.

One more thing: I am not Christian (in fact, I'm not religious at all) and I still love the Narnia books. They are wonderful stories. I have many friends that aren't religious and still love Narnia. You don't have to be Christian, let alone have any religious beliefs, to know what good fiction is.

I hate when people make comments about how strictly alegorical the books are. I am a christian, and I cannot see how your post gives christians even the slightest bit of intelligence narnia queen. Instead of rambling off what your brother thought why dont you look at the facts as stated by CS Lewis?:

1) he said that narnia was not allegory. He said he supposed what would happen if he created a new world, and made Jesus a lion in that would.
2) Regarding Tash- Tash doesn't fit the Islamic Allah
3) Narnia doesnt fit the characteristics of heaven.
4) I will give you that religious thought may have been invloved (religous people cant help but do it), but that doesnt make any of the Narnia stories fit the characteristics of an alegory.

The nine names of Aslan.

The nine names were referring to names Aslan was known by in Narnia. I.E Aslan, The Great Cat, The True king of Narnia, The king above all other kings, etc.

Aslan referred to himself as having another name in our world. Just one, I assume it is jesus, but for those of you who are muslim, feel free to think of Allah. It's all different interpretations of the same God to me, and I like Aslans sentiment in The Last Battle.

" Child, all the service thou hast done to Tash, I account as service done to me...For I and he are of such different kinds that no sevice which is vile can be done to me, and no service which is not vile can be done to him. Therefore, if any man swears by Tash and keeps his oath for the oath's sake, it is by me he has truly sworn, though he know it not, and it is I who reward him. And if any man do a cruelty in my name, then, though he says the name Aslan, it is Tash whom he serves, and by Tash his deed is accepted."

As for who Tash is... I think He represents any of the religions that require a living sacrifice whether it be Satanism, paganism or other isms I cannot think of right now. I think the Point Lewis was trying to get across is that our good deeds as well as our evil ones are well acounted for, no matter who's name we do them in.

Someonebeatmetowunderkind said:
The nine names were referring to names Aslan was known by in Narnia. I.E Aslan, The Great Cat, The True king of Narnia, The king above all other kings, etc.
That's a guess, and maybe as good a one as any, but I think when the centaurs were discussing the topic with Jill and Eustace, they might have been going a bit deeper than that. Hard to say, though - Lewis didn't leave us many clues.

Aslan did say that he also was in Earth (the children's world), but that he was called by another name there, and that they must learn to know him by that name. In other words, Christ. I found this a very beautiful sentiment. Although Aslan has a lovelier ring to it...

I posted this on page 2...I still like this idea very, very much...it brings me joy.

Here is something I posted at the Professor's Writing Club mere moments ago. It is not canon but you might find it to your liking... It presumes to be a rhyme students learned to help them remember the nine names:

BEHOLD THE LORD OF SORROWS

Nine were the crowns that our blessed Lord wears
Nine were the titles our blessed Lord bears
One for a maiden fair thrown from the sky
One for a journeyman sentenced to die
One for a little girl slain with a knife
One for a monk with no place for a wife
One for a lion that died for a prince
One for a beggar man strung on a fence
One for a jewish lad nailed to a cross
One for a soldier that never knew loss
One for a sailor that rode on the wave
All of them perished, another to save

--Anonymous

Fascinating!
Alas, I know just 2 there written, Jesus=Jewish lad, and Aslan=Lion.
What are the other 7? Do you know?

Someonebeatmetowunderkind said:

Aslan referred to himself as having another name in our world. Just one, I assume it is jesus, but for those of you who are muslim, feel free to think of Allah. It's all different interpretations of the same God to me, and I like Aslans sentiment in The Last Battle.

" Child, all the service thou hast done to Tash, I account as service done to me...For I and he are of such different kinds that no sevice which is vile can be done to me, and no service which is not vile can be done to him. Therefore, if any man swears by Tash and keeps his oath for the oath's sake, it is by me he has truly sworn, though he know it not, and it is I who reward him. And if any man do a cruelty in my name, then, though he says the name Aslan, it is Tash whom he serves, and by Tash his deed is accepted."

As for who Tash is... I think He represents any of the religions that require a living sacrifice whether it be Satanism, paganism or other isms I cannot think of right now. I think the Point Lewis was trying to get across is that our good deeds as well as our evil ones are well acounted for, no matter who's name we do them in.

Do you believe the same in which Aslan said? Because if you do.... yay!!!! You're an inclusivist and I love Christian inclusivists! They're so kind-hearted and I think that they are more considerate of people's happiness. =)

Christians have to balance the knowledge that God loves all, and wants all to be with Him in His Kingdom, and Jesus' words that "No man comes to the Father but through me." We are dearly concerned with the happiness of all, but take a longer view of it. Happiness in this world alone is not enough, we desire all to be happy forever with God the Father.

I agree, POTW! Although we may feel wonderfully happy, blissful, mirthful, joyful, etc, etc at various times in our lives--like marriage, birth of children, proposal acceptance, realisation of true love, being in love, familial love, etc, etc...there is a joy beyond our ability to grasp or imagine in Heaven, with the Lord and the Father...

About the allegory thing of Narnia...
I always thought that Narnia was a sort of parallel to our own world and the Narnia they all go to at the end of Last Battle was Heaven. That's how I interpreted it. I saw Narnia as a world similar to ours, that went through all the same things our world went through and such.

Is that a good interpretation of it? :confused:

Aslan's other names

what C.S. Lewis is trying to say is that just like in christianity God has names like jahovah, the lion, and Hosannah. Aslan is just like God in our world C.S. Lewis is visioning Aslan as God. And Aslan's other names are related to christianity.

If you can find it in the Writing Club, I wrote a fanfic titled "Southward the Tigers," whose action takes place within the lifetimes of King Frank and Queen Helen. A major element in my novel was a possible origin for the Calormenes.

As a student of Russian and Soviet history, I discovered that in the real world, in or near Kazakhstan, there was a Turkish-related Islamic tribe called..... the KALOR. Mister Lewis almost certainly knew of their existence, and MIGHT have derived the name "Calormen" from them. So my story imagined Tash transporting a clan of Kalor to the Narnian world.

In such a case, whatever became of their theology once transplanted, the Calormenes would have arrived speaking ,an Islamic language, and observing Islamic customs. This in turn would have affected how they spoke about Aslan.

Back