Christmas in Narnia

Peepiceek

I'm just watching the LWW movie. I can't believe I've never thought to ask this before but, how on earth (or how in Narnia:D) did Christmas get started in Narnia with no Jesus? And what do you think the Narnians thought they were celebrating? I guess it could have been introduced by Frank and Helen from the beginning, but how do you think it was explained to the Narnians?

Maybe Christmas was just the term used for the celebration of the creation of Narnia. Frank and Helen introduced it and then it got folded into the celebration of the creation, which was about the same time.

Alternately, Father Christmas found his way to Narnia and introduced the concept of Christmas to the Narnians and would come every Winter Solstice (assuming they had such a thing in Narnia) to remind them and bring gifts.

MrBob

Hey Peeps! I was actually thinking about the same thing for the first time as well, just the other day! It's a good question. Something (Father Christmas) had to come before Aslan died on the Stone Table and was brought to life again. Father Christmas could represent Christ's birth or even the preaching of John the Baptist. I was also newly pondering a related parallel. Perhaps it came from anticipating the upcoming genealogy of Jesus scripture at Christmas time. Throughout the Old Testament there are several generations (usually seven, I think) between important figures such as Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses and down onto King David. In Narnia, there are very long periods of quiet between the big moments when Aslan emerges. Lewis must have been calling our attention to God's historic plan.

Last edited:
Another thought, but it seems as though Father Christmas could travel from world to world, so does that mean he was an Atlantean or descendant of such? Was he in some way related to Mrs. Lefey? Was he actually Merlin in disguise?

MrBob

Mister Lewis did imagine Merlin as having some connection with Atlantis. And Stephen Lawhead picked up on this idea for his Pendragon books.

I'm just watching the LWW movie. I can't believe I've never thought to ask this before but, how on earth (or how in Narnia:D) did Christmas get started in Narnia with no Jesus? And what do you think the Narnians thought they were celebrating? I guess it could have been introduced by Frank and Helen from the beginning, but how do you think it was explained to the Narnians?

Since the newly-created Narnian beings were made to understand that Frank and Helen were designated to govern them, it would be natural for those new beings to listen willingly to whatever the humans would tell them about Earth. Any explanation by Frank and Helen would have begun by stating that Aslan had created many worlds.

Back