Did the seagull Eustace talked to speak or not?

PunkMaister

In the movie while they are in the boat Eustace talks to a seagull that lands near him, but when the seagull squeaks it does sound like it says "Hello" not to mention that as I recall in the first movie birds did talk.

In the movie while they are in the boat Eustace talks to a seagull that lands near him, but when the seagull squeaks it does sound like it says "Hello" not to mention that as I recall in the first movie birds did talk.
No it didn't, Eustace obviously hasn't spent much time on the British coast. Sea-gulls have a reputation for making sounds that sound like speech. In my home town in Germany, they sound like they are speaking the slang for Morning in German (Mon!), and I've heard them say things such as Look-Away! Gills are fantastic! and other nonsensical things. It actually kind of fun if you go where they frequent and see what you can make out. You know it's not an enchanted bird as the way the crew reacts. Birds can talk in Narnia, there is a talking eagle in Last Battle, though his name escapes me and the talking council of owls in Sliver Chair. I was always under the impress that Narnia birds were a tad bigger than the dumb counterpoints.

I find seagulls fascinating too, but did not know that. When I am at the coast in the summer, the local seagulls are often so considerate as to provide me with an early morning call by crying outside my window at 4.50 a.m!

What bird talked in LWW? The closest I can recall is the robin psst-ing them. That's not quite talking.

MrBob

Yes, the Eagle in TLB was Farsight.

I just wish they had the Aslan Seagull as was in the book.

MrBob

The albatross never really spoke. Lucy may have interpreted it as speech, but he never said a word in the movie, which I think made the whole thing lose its meaning/purpose to begin with!!!

Yeah, I thought we should've heard the voice of the albatross. I really liked that part in the book.

But if that seagull had talked... I would've been shocked! Seagulls are about the dumbest birds on the planet. I live 2 hours from the coast, and they'll be flying around my Safeway parking lot. It's like... umm, are you lost? haha :p I still love them though :rolleyes:

Yeah, I thought we should've heard the voice of the albatross. I really liked that part in the book.

But if that seagull had talked... I would've been shocked! Seagulls are about the dumbest birds on the planet. I live 2 hours from the coast, and they'll be flying around my Safeway parking lot. It's like... umm, are you lost? haha :p I still love them though :rolleyes:

Methinks this one would disagree with you wholeheartedly.

1232008391_215_47faa73478508.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqy9hxhUxK0:D

Last edited:
I'll admit, I thought the seagull had said "hello" or something similar. Also, I always thought all creatures in Narnia could talk.:eek:

It is stated in The Magician's Nephew that certain beasts could talk and others could not. Aslan gave the talking beasts a strict warning not to treat those who could not speak with cruelty or abuse.

It was likewise mentioned in certain works like Prince Caspian and The Last Battle that beasts who lived debauched lives could lapse into a non-talking state.

Now just because they talked did not mean they could sing. I have a Cousin Edgar whose rendition of "O Narnia Forever!" brings tears to my eyes, not because of my patriotism but because I hate to see music suffer.

Back