New and expanded romances.

What romances do you think the filmakers may add into the movies

• Lucy/Caspian

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Caspian/Ramandu's Daughter (in a way that drastically expands her role)

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Caspian/ The Emerald Witch

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Jill/Eustace

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Jill/Rillian

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Shasta/Aravis (expanded)

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • Shasta, Aravis, Corrin love triangle

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Digory and Polly

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Tirian and Lucy

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters
"I do think that marrige still exists in Aslan's country. Ramandu's Daughter and Caspian, Shasta and Aravis, and the Beavers are still married. Aslan's country is NOT an exact duplicate of heaven, and I don't think Lewis said anything about marrige being abolished."

Josh, note that all of your examples are of couples who were already married while they were alive. I just don't want to see a Aslan's Country romance.

MrBob

I am not voting for romances. Except for Caspian and RD, they don't need to add any other or expand them. Aravis and Shasta/Cor is already expanded in the book. They got married!!

Here, here, BK. Caspian and RD is fine as is Shasta and Aravis. Eustace and Jill, no. When we first meet Jill in SC if we all recall correctly Eustace had been one of "THEM" ( the bullies) she would have no attraction to him,not even as a friend. As I said in another thread they are more like two kids who don't like each other that are forced to work together on a class project then a romantic "will they or won't they" relationship. It may work in LB if not for some textual evidence that indicates Jill is not at the age where she is thinking in those terms. It is Jill after all who makes the "lipstick, and nylons and invitations" comment that Lewis is so criticized for. She also strikes me as a bit more of a tomboy then either Polly ( the dignified Victorian lady) or Susan and Lucy and would be more inclined to want to beat Eustace at a game of kick ball then want to kiss him.

As for Diggory and Polly, as sweet as it would be for her to give him a quick kiss on the cheek before he goes to get the apple, her quickly giving his hand a squeeze or maybe hugging him would seem more "in character."

AS for Lucy and Caspian, well to quote Lex Luthor in Superman Returns: "WROOOOOOOOOOONG!"

"I do think that marrige still exists in Aslan's country. Ramandu's Daughter and Caspian, Shasta and Aravis, and the Beavers are still married. Aslan's country is NOT an exact duplicate of heaven, and I don't think Lewis said anything about marrige being abolished."

Josh, note that all of your examples are of couples who were already married while they were alive. I just don't want to see a Aslan's Country romance.

MrBob

Nor do I. It would just be weird and it would take away from the real story.

Here, here, BK. Caspian and RD is fine as is Shasta and Aravis. Eustace and Jill, no. When we first meet Jill in SC if we all recall correctly Eustace had been one of "THEM" ( the bullies) she would have no attraction to him,not even as a friend. As I said in another thread they are more like two kids who don't like each other that are forced to work together on a class project then a romantic "will they or won't they" relationship. It may work in LB if not for some textual evidence that indicates Jill is not at the age where she is thinking in those terms. It is Jill after all who makes the "lipstick, and nylons and invitations" comment that Lewis is so criticized for. She also strikes me as a bit more of a tomboy then either Polly ( the dignified Victorian lady) or Susan and Lucy and would be more inclined to want to beat Eustace at a game of kick ball then want to kiss him.

As for Diggory and Polly, as sweet as it would be for her to give him a quick kiss on the cheek before he goes to get the apple, her quickly giving his hand a squeeze or maybe hugging him would seem more "in character."

AS for Lucy and Caspian, well to quote Lex Luthor in Superman Returns: "WROOOOOOOOOOONG!"

I agree.

It may work in LB if not for some textual evidence that indicates Jill is not at the age where she is thinking in those terms. It is Jill after all who makes the "lipstick, and nylons and invitations" comment that Lewis is so criticized for.

If she's Eustace's age that puts her a year or two younger than Lucy, and Lucy's already left school by LB. Besides, tomboys can have feelings for boys.

But I think they'd have to pull Eustace/Jill as a love/hate sexual tension thing, and I'd rather they didn't at all.

I think the film-makers will make a Jill/Eustace romance in SC. And of course I think they will expand the romance between Caspian and RD. I think it would be nice to at least get Aravis and Shasta married in the HHB movie, if they end up making that one.

I think we need an option that says "Don't expand the romances!" That's the one I'd vote for. If the romance exists in the book, then stick it in as it is in the book. If it was never there, don't put it in. Basic intelligence tells them that it didn't do great things in PC, so it's not a mistake that would be wise to repeat. Don't add to the romances filmmakers. Just don't do it!

Into the Wardrobe--are you suggesting that a movie might actually do well without a huge romance helping to drive the plot? But--then--how--

I think I might need to sit down for a while. :p

You know...the Harry Potter movies are doing great with teen audiences, and they've got very little emphasis on romance at all. But I have a feeling that the producers aren't going to want to take a chance Dawn Treader by not giving the teenagers some sort of romance, and Caspian/RD shows up so late that it might need something more. And the rest of the books are just right for Hollywood to insert that love/hate bickering romance. ::sigh::

I'd like to see more on Caspian and RD, we don't see very much of RD in either VDT or SC. And having the Lady of the Green Kirtle be in VDT, (rumored or not) I'm not so sure of (of course, I had thought she was White Witch half the time, even if not...) Anyway, I hope she's not in VDT, there's enough I think in the book (SC) to have it work, or even have her be... watching Narnia as Rilian grows up just waiting to strike.... oh, that's erie.

As for other romances, yes, I like the idea of Aravis/Shasta(Cor) too.

As for anyone else, I'm kinda liking a Eustace and Jill one, but not until the LB, (it's been about 7 years since SC for them, their teenagers) I'm not saying they have to kiss, but even if they hold hands, maybe before that last battle, or hug or something, just something sweet maybe. But, 'not' for SC, their 9 in that, and they are only just starting to be friends because they were put in Narnia together, goodness, they binkered alot in the book.

Another couple (unless someone mentioned them though they are small) How about the first King and Queen of Narnia, Frank and Helen? It been nice to see a bit of romance and that between them, even just some sweet handholding or something that married (PG rated) couples do.

I've never been able to work out exactly how old everyone is in the Last Battle, I'm not sure how much time has past since the Silver Chair, (in our world that is).

But anyway, I would like to see Caspian and RD's Daughter extended a bit. There is a bit of it in the story that the owl tells in the books, but only a bit. If romnace is extended, I think that one should be.

I've never been able to work out exactly how old everyone is in the Last Battle, I'm not sure how much time has past since the Silver Chair, (in our world that is).

A lot--if you think that Lucy's first year of boarding school is PC, and then VDT is the following summer (ish, although there's some thought that it could be after the war, which makes it a few years later) and SC the following fall (her second year, probably), and by LB Lucy is out of school, then it's been...probably at least five years, if she goes into the first form. Jill and Eustace are probably in their last or second-to-last year of school.

Into the Wardrobe--are you suggesting that a movie might actually do well without a huge romance helping to drive the plot? But--then--how--

I think I might need to sit down for a while. :p

You know...the Harry Potter movies are doing great with teen audiences, and they've got very little emphasis on romance at all. But I have a feeling that the producers aren't going to want to take a chance Dawn Treader by not giving the teenagers some sort of romance, and Caspian/RD shows up so late that it might need something more. And the rest of the books are just right for Hollywood to insert that love/hate bickering romance. ::sigh::

You seem to forget that the Chronicles of Narnia are classic works of literature and works of art. The films should be no less. Teens can get over their perceived need for the cookie-cutter romance in every drama. There is more to life than onscreen romances. It's not the only thing in life to focus on. No work of art needs to be destroyed that way. Fans of C.S. Lewis would not stand for it on the whole. The Caspain/Susan romance came close to bringing the franchise to its knees...not that it was the only problem with PC, but it was a huge mistake for the filmmakers. Hopefully they will not repeat the mistake. One would think they'd have learned their lesson. About 98% of the fan base was against the romance in the last film and rightly so. If it's only the teens that care about it, and I'm pretty sure it is, then they can find a few hundred other films to get their romance fix from. The Chronicles need not be ruined over something like that. It would just be wrong.

Animus agrees with you, I believe. The post was ironic ... And of course, I agree with you, too.

"Into the Wardrobe--are you suggesting that a movie might actually do well without a huge romance helping to drive the plot? But--then--how--"

Yeah, good luck with that, Animus. The only reason why there wasn't a romance in the first one was that they could find absoluitely no way to fit it in. The closest they came was the Tumnus/Lucy friendship. You could sense at the end that there was a great friendship love between them.

Within PC, they couldn't resist the rmoance between Susan and Caspian. They will want to put a romance in as much as they can from now on.

"I've never been able to work out exactly how old everyone is in the Last Battle, I'm not sure how much time has past since the Silver Chair, (in our world that is)."

Nessa, I place the amount of time between TSC and TLB at about 1.5 years. Animus, think about this, Peter is described as being "hardly full grown" and definitely younger than Tirian who was described as being between 20 and 25. Also, Eustace describes the amount of time that passed since TSC as "more than a year" not many years.

MrBob

Yeah, good luck with that, Animus. The only reason why there wasn't a romance in the first one was that they could find absoluitely no way to fit it in. The closest they came was the Tumnus/Lucy friendship. You could sense at the end that there was a great friendship love between them.

Within PC, they couldn't resist the rmoance between Susan and Caspian. They will want to put a romance in as much as they can from now on.

I know. :( I mean, don't get me wrong, I love a good romance--but I don't think these movies need them. (Lol, sorry, Into the Wardrobe, I was being silly. I agree with you, although I have to say that I don't think Susan/Caspian brought down the movie; they did a terrible job marketing it *and* picked a bad time to release it. ::shakes head:: I think there are plenty of teens who would be fine without a romance.)

Nessa, I place the amount of time between TSC and TLB at about 1.5 years. Animus, think about this, Peter is described as being "hardly full grown" and definitely younger than Tirian who was described as being between 20 and 25. Also, Eustace describes the amount of time that passed since TSC as "more than a year" not many years.
Well, the whole series (minus MN) starts before Lucy starts boarding school and ends sometime after ("We're the only two who are still at school," Eustace says to Tirian), so there's at least seven years or so in there somewhere, and LWW/PC directly follow each other, as do VDT/SC. And Edmund tells Caspian it's been a year between PC and VDT, so I think the gap has to fall after SC.

The Susan/Caspian romance didn't bother me. It was hardly a romance afterall, I would call it a slight teenage crush. It was sweet, I think; bittersweet because she had to leave. If she'd stayed with him, it would have been a true violation of the book.
In VotDT the romance between Caspian and Ramandu's Daughter will surely be expanded. I think it needs to be expanded - to make it believable on the screen. A book and a film are very different medias. But I do hope he first meets her on Ramandu's Island.
The filmmakers might add some romance in the following films as well. I don't believe in a Jill/Eustace romance. Perhaps an attraction between Jill/Rilian? But of course she has to leave!
Lucy/Tirian? Who knows. We'll have to wait and see.
Definetily not Caspian/the Emerald Witch!! I really don't hope so!!

"I mean, don't get me wrong, I love a good romance--but I don't think these movies need them. (Lol, sorry, Into the Wardrobe, I was being silly. I agree with you, although I have to say that I don't think Susan/Caspian brought down the movie; they did a terrible job marketing it *and* picked a bad time to release it. ::shakes head:: I think there are plenty of teens who would be fine without a romance.)"

I was being a bit facetious, Animus. I was trying to go with your tone. I have mentioned that I am really only fine with the romances that were described in the books, but if they have to add a romance in the rest of them, I would at least want them to be somewhat realistic.

As for the Susan/Caspian kiss, I was prepared for it beforehand so it wasn't that bad for me. The rest of the film had already made me so upset that the kiss was just a small nuisnace that was handled fairly well for an unnecessary scene.

"Well, the whole series (minus MN) starts before Lucy starts boarding school and ends sometime after ("We're the only two who are still at school," Eustace says to Tirian), so there's at least seven years or so in there somewhere, and LWW/PC directly follow each other, as do VDT/SC. And Edmund tells Caspian it's been a year between PC and VDT, so I think the gap has to fall after SC."

As much as I don't want to bog this thread down with timeline issues, it is one of my pet peeves. I took Eustace's comment about being he only two in school to mean that their school year ended after his cousins' schools let out. Tirian also treats Eutace and Jill as children in TLB by making sure they get enough rest: "The two children were already snoring: he had made them go to bed before he did because they would have to be up most of the night and he knew that at their age they couldn't go without sleep."

Lewis calls them children and had there been seven years that had passed, they would be about 17-years-old, hardly children and nearly as old as Tirian himself.

MrBob

I was being a bit facetious, Animus. I was trying to go with your tone. I have mentioned that I am really only fine with the romances that were described in the books, but if they have to add a romance in the rest of them, I would at least want them to be somewhat realistic.
Lol, fail all around on tone reading, I guess. I think I would love to see some realistic romance in Narnia--we just don't get any in the books, which makes sense reading them as a child (ew, people kissing, can you imagine?), but which I might like seeing now. Frank/Helen is canon!

I took Eustace's comment about being he only two in school to mean that their school year ended after his cousins' schools let out. Tirian also treats Eutace and Jill as children in TLB by making sure they get enough rest: "The two children were already snoring: he had made them go to bed before he did because they would have to be up most of the night and he knew that at their age they couldn't go without sleep."
The full quote (chapter five) is "And the day after that was the day Pole and I had to go back to school--we're the only two who are still at school and we're at the same one." I suppose your reading works, but it means that Experiment House has a holiday in May or June while the other schools get out for the summer, which is a bit strange (I mean, you wouldn't say "I'm the only one still at school!" if you're going back a week earlier from Christmas break, especially if you aren't *at* school--it's a weird way to phrase it unless they mean summer holidays). Then again, it's a weird school overall.

As for treating them as children--I dunno, I've met people in their twenties who treated teenagers like kids, especially when there's a power/authority gap. And teenagers need their sleep too! Also, Ed and Peter have to have been old enough to be taken as plumbers while they were getting the rings, and Ed's not too much older than Eustace. If Lucy leaves sixth form when she's seventeen, LB could take place about three months later--making Jill and Eustace fifteen/sixteen and still young enough to be children to someone in his twenties, and putting Ed (18ish) and Peter old enough to seem like adults. YMMV, of course--Lewis's timelines are never easy to unravel. :)

"Lol, fail all around on tone reading, I guess."

Yeah, I probably should have added a smiley :cool:

"I think I would love to see some realistic romance in Narnia--we just don't get any in the books, which makes sense reading them as a child (ew, people kissing, can you imagine?), but which I might like seeing now. Frank/Helen is canon!"

Frank/Helen isn't a romance. They are already married. There were only two romances in the books. The fairy tale romance of Caspian/RD and the realistic romance of Cor/Aravis.

I would want to see the Caspian/RD fairy tale to stay as that. They can't kiss until the spell is broken. Keeping them on the island for a few days is fine if that is what is needed to get the romance going. The kiss can be shown as epilogue.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a kiss between Cor/Aravis after he comes from the battle.

MrBob

Back