Telmarine Inquisition

Sir Godfrey

Cortana’s BFF
I was under the impression that the Telmarines, aside from being Brigands or sea faring pirates run aground, were perhaps allegorical of the Spanish and that their treatment of the Narnians was like the Spanish Inquistion. We could view the Caspians (in particular Caspian IX and X) are like King Ferdinan and Isabella who were good Spanish monarchs amongst zealots (like Miraz). Does anyone else see these people as more than mere pirates?

I was under the impression that the Telmarines, aside from being Brigands or sea faring pirates run aground, were perhaps allegorical of the Spanish and that their treatment of the Narnians was like the Spanish Inquistion. We could view the Caspians (in particular Caspian IX and X) are like King Ferdinan and Isabella who were good Spanish monarchs amongst zealots (like Miraz). Does anyone else see these people as more than mere pirates?

I've never thought of it that way...and I've never heard anyone else look at it that way, so I'm hesitant to suggest that was Lewis' intent. But, it's worth looking into. ;)

I have to say that, before the movie, I had always assumed that the pirates were of British descent, living on a Pacific island. Like the Bounty mutineers.

Peeps

Well, I'm reading the book now and in the novel I don't have this vision, because Miraz seems the typical evil person, who wants to reign and make his will. In the movie you can have this vision because of the actors, most of Telmarines are Latin or Mediterranean people. Although the Spanish Inquisition made their will and controlled the society, but they were controlled by the king and the queen, who wanted an unique faith.

Before the movie I always saw the Telmarines as analogous to the Norman conquerors of England in the Eleventh century, bringing a more sophisticated, but sombre culture from the continent.

The change of the Telmarines from Norman/Anglo-Saxon to hispanic is just like the change of Jadis' hair colour; based on interpretations that CS Lewis had probably not intended.

The change of the Telmarines from Norman/Anglo-Saxon to hispanic is just like the change of Jadis' hair colour; based on interpretations that CS Lewis had probably not intended.

That's a pretty interesting observation. That's one thing I greatly DISliked about LWW. jadis was clearly not how she was described in the book.

Actually, Tilda Swinton refused to have her skin painted pure white as a condition for her taking the role. Matter of record.

Actually, Tilda Swinton refused to have her skin painted pure white as a condition for her taking the role. Matter of record.

[This is getting way off topic, but I have to reply anyway]. I understand about the skin thing, but I had/have an issue with Swinton in general. I honestly hate to say this about anybody online, but she's not very pretty (especially considering her comments regarding Christianity). Jadis should have been like an evil Arwen; absolutely drop-dead gorgeous but evil. Swinton's acting was superb; her overall look? Lacking.

I had/have an issue with Swinton in general. I honestly hate to say this about anybody online, but she's not very pretty (especially considering her comments regarding Christianity). Jadis should have been like an evil Arwen; absolutely drop-dead gorgeous but evil. Swinton's acting was superb; her overall look? Lacking.

What did she say about Christianity?

Back