The Silver Chair or The Magician's Nephew: Which Next?

What should be made next?

• The Silver Chair

Votes: 50 86.2%
  • The Magician's Nephew

Votes: 8 13.8%

• Total voters

Specter

Meeting the World
Staff member
Knight of the Noble Order
Royal Guard
Mark Johnson has (sort of) put it to the fans to vote on which book to adapt next.

As most of us know by now, they've been shooting the films in the order that the books were published. This has been going well so far, and I think that it's really no question that Silver Chair should be next. However, Mark Johnson, the producer, really wants to make The Magician's Nephew. I believe it's his favorite of the books, and he is desperate to make that one.

What do you think? Magician's Nephew next? Or Silver Chair next?

As to "The Horse and His Boy," I'm sure they'll get to that one eventually, if they can figure out how to do that one and be politically correct with it (there are some storyline problems that could look bad to some countries).

The Last Battle, of course, would be the last Narnia film created.

Silver Chair of course is the logical choice, but I love Magician's Nephew so I voted for that one anyway.

well, it makes a little more sense for them to make The Silver Chair next because they don't want Will Poulter to age too much.

Exactly. Its also less random to make Silver Chair instead of going off on MN which, though it is a very good book, would be rather weird to suddenly find oneself watching as the movie after Dawn Treader. It makes more sense to create Silver Chair now and wait awhile for MN. And also- MN isn't cast yet so they can wait as long as they want, while again others like Silver Chair they need to make quicker because the actors are aging.

The silver chair is rumored to be out for 2012,because its on Ben's wikipedia page and on the Narnia wikipedia page...

I personally like the films(kind of) but I really wish they'd either start making them a little closer to the books or quit making them period. All they do is trash them,I mean honestly.

I saw the trailer for VOTD,Its dead,gone,murdered. They didn't even TRY. and thats like my FAVORITE!
If they touch MN,I am gonna be sooooooo angry!:mad:
They can't murder both of my favorites!

no offense,but you can't lie,they totally murdered the last two...just ask Copperfox.

As to "The Horse and His Boy," I'm sure they'll get to that one eventually, if they can figure out how to do that one and be politically correct with it (there are some storyline problems that could look bad to some countries).

Yes,it could look racist.

I don't see HHB looking racist. Case in point: Prince Caspian. Okay, we all know that Caspian wasn't supposed to be Spanish, but he was in the movie. I didn't hear ANY complaints about "Spanish people" being cast as villains. So I don't really see any big issues with the race. It's stupid for people to make that into an issue really.

As for the films, Silver Chair. It just makes logical sense to make it next.

And I don't trust wikipedias, especially when it comes to film and actor information. Anybody can edit them, and most people don't know what they're talking about. (Besides, there's no need to get so angry about Dawn Treader, especially in this thread, SEPARATE from Dawn Treader rants. Not to mention it isn't even out yet.)
And if they ever make HHB, while I won't boycott it, I will be a little more expectant than I have been. They didn't butcher LWW. I don't see how anybody can say they did. Are you sure Copperfox wasn't referencing JUST Prince Caspian? LWW at least kept in line with the story (though after seeing it again and re-reading the book I noticed a few more changes, but nothing too detrimental). I've never heard Copperfox saying anything against LWW, though I could be wrong. But you know, this is for discussion of Silver Chair vs. Magician's Nephew, so let's not turn it into how they've messed up the previous films, kay? And if they did murder LWW, send me a PM and give me plenty of examples from the movie and the book.

I'd prefer to see The Magician's Nephew next.

However, they're probably going to do Silver Chair and Last Battle, because of Eustace being a lead character through those books.

I'd prefer to see The Magician's Nephew next.

However, they're probably going to do Silver Chair and Last Battle, because of Eustace being a lead character through those books.

If they don't do Last Battle last I'm gonna have to hurt somebody. Its the LAST Battle!:eek:

Sorry, I'm clotting the thread aren't I? hmmm.... *tries to think of way to turn post onto subject of thread*

lol, Anyway Silver Chair is the obvious choice but after that I don't know what they'll do. They could make either HHB or MN after it and I personally think that either would be a good follow up, with MN giving nessecary info for Last Battle and HHB being a good change from the norm of Narnia.:D

And the poll speaks for itself- Silver Chair is the higher of the two, and if Narnia fans on this site think that's what should be next I'm guessing the majority of other Narnia fans agree. But who knows? Maybe they'll be crazy and make MN next.:D

I'd prefer TSC, in order to keep the actors from aging too much.

It would feel nice to have TLB last--but the actor-aging problem might make it better for them to do that after TSC, as out-of-order as things would turn out. Even if they did it that way, in TLB Eustace would be what, 20? Can you imagine them trying to do that with him being even older? They'd likely have to switch actors if they did the entire series in chronological order.

I'd prefer TSC, in order to keep the actors from aging too much.

It would feel nice to have TLB last--but the actor-aging problem might make it better for them to do that after TSC, as out-of-order as things would turn out. Even if they did it that way, in TLB Eustace would be what, 20? Can you imagine them trying to do that with him being even older? They'd likely have to switch actors if they did the entire series in chronological order.

I makes me wonder why they can't just make all the Narnia movies like they did LOTR. *sigh* :(

I personally like the films(kind of) but I really wish they'd either start making them a little closer to the books or quit making them period. All they do is trash them,I mean honestly.

I saw the trailer for VOTD,Its dead,gone,murdered. They didn't even TRY. and thats like my FAVORITE!
If they touch MN,I am gonna be sooooooo angry!:mad:
They can't murder both of my favorites!

no offense,but you can't lie,they totally murdered the last two...just ask Copperfox.
Bold statements.

#1: While you are entitled to your opinion about the movies, you have seen a TRAILER for VDT. Nothing more, nothing less. You cannot judge an entire movie by its trailer any more than you can judge an entire book by the text on the back cover or the book jacket.

#2: To say "they didn't even TRY" is not only ignorant, it's flat out wrong. They protected the movie from becoming Pirates of the Caribbean 4 (which, ironically, Disney is currently producing). Since the movie switched to Fox, it's become closer to the book than it would have been. Trust me. I'm in the know. I just can't give more details.

#3: Movies are never the same as books. Movies mostly can fit the spirit of the books that they are based upon, but never be exact. There was a director that decided to film a book, page for page. The movie was over 9 hours long. The edited version that hit theaters was about 2-3 hours. But people have seen the 9 hour version. I can't tell you what movie it is, because the people that told me about it didn't remember. But it happened, and it was ridiculous in length.

#4: Whether or not a particular movie has captured the spirit of the novel on which it is based is all perception. For instance: my perception of LWW is that it is definitely very close to the book and managed to capture the spirit of the novel. I also felt that Prince Caspian was true to the spirit of the novel, that the characters were more true to life than their counterparts in the book (and in some cases more true to the book characters than some people notice). In some ways I felt that the film bested the book (which I know is something that could make me a social pariah among Narnia fans). But know that this is my opinion of how they have done so far.

As for Dawn Treader: wait until you see it before you make any judgment calls about it. As to the rest of the series, I hope that all are eventually filmed, and I believe that they will be.

The question here isn't whether they should continue to make Narnia movies, but which should be next: Silver Chair or Magician's Nephew.

If you want to talk book vs. movie, there are many places here to do that.

Also, see this story, which I find to be pretty spot on, based on my experiences talking to some people that I know: http://themovieblog.com/2006/07/why-people-prefer-the-book-to-the-movie

I makes me wonder why they can't just make all the Narnia movies like they did LOTR. *sigh* :(

Unfortunately Narnia isn't all one big epic story like LOTR. Lewis didn't write a single story arc, he wrote seven very different stories with many different leading roles and storylines. They all require various characters and locations, and to do it like LOTR would have been not just one director juggling three films (sometimes shooting in 7 locations at the very same time, via monitors and second and third unit directors). It would have been a director juggling SEVEN movies at once. Peter Jackson said he'd never again shoot three films at one time. I couldn't imaging shooting seven completely different stories at once.

Very true, Specter. Though they did toy with the idea of filming PC, VDT, and SC as one movie (since they're the trilogy of the books), but it fell through. You know, they could always film SC next and not release it. Then, they could film TLB, and not release it until after releasing the other 3 films. Problem solved! :D Just kidding, but it's an idea.

It just really makes sense for them to make SC next. Somebody would have to be really dumb not to do so! I think that's one of the ones I'm most eager to see.

I don't see HHB looking racist. Case in point: Prince Caspian. Okay, we all know that Caspian wasn't supposed to be Spanish, but he was in the movie. I didn't hear ANY complaints about "Spanish people" being cast as villains. So I don't really see any big issues with the race. It's stupid for people to make that into an issue really.

As for the films, Silver Chair. It just makes logical sense to make it next.

And I don't trust wikipedias, especially when it comes to film and actor information. Anybody can edit them, and most people don't know what they're talking about. (Besides, there's no need to get so angry about Dawn Treader, especially in this thread, SEPARATE from Dawn Treader rants. Not to mention it isn't even out yet.)
And if they ever make HHB, while I won't boycott it, I will be a little more expectant than I have been. They didn't butcher LWW. I don't see how anybody can say they did. Are you sure Copperfox wasn't referencing JUST Prince Caspian? LWW at least kept in line with the story (though after seeing it again and re-reading the book I noticed a few more changes, but nothing too detrimental). I've never heard Copperfox saying anything against LWW, though I could be wrong. But you know, this is for discussion of Silver Chair vs. Magician's Nephew, so let's not turn it into how they've messed up the previous films, kay? And if they did murder LWW, send me a PM and give me plenty of examples from the movie and the book.

No he's still ticked off about PC. I trust wiki because everything I've ever looked up there was true in every second opinion.

I know LWW was done right,I didn't say they murdered that one. My only opinion was that,if they continue to destroy me favorites I am going to be very very angry with mr. apted and mr.adamson,and mr. johnson.

Okay,I opt out of this thread now.

REgardless, wikipedias are unreliable in the majority of cases. It's like imdb.com. It's edited by anybody. I should know; I edited a Star Trek wikipedia the other day without even having to register (they had an episode's title wrong, and i know that because I've seen the episode multiple times).

And you referred to the last "two" movies, i.e. LWW and PC, unless you were referring to PC and Dawn Treader, in which case, DT hasn't been released yet and can't be considered in the past tense...so just identify the movies next time and not just say "past" because that's interpreted differently than you might have intended. ;)

"The Silver Chair" needs to come next. As much as I want to see "The Magician's Nephew," there are several reasons we must continue first with "The Silver Chair." The story is set only weeks or months after "The Voyage of the Dawn Treador," so Will Poulter must be recast before he gets any older. It is the next book in publishing order, and it would be silly to suddenly deviate from that. Also, "The Silver Chair" brings to completion Caspian's story. Spoiler: He searches for his lost son, sails East to find Aslan, and dies at the end of the story, having passed on the throne to Rillian. One more thing: there are some interesting gaps revealed in "The Silver Chair" which I think make it important for it to come next. For example, Eustace meets Trumpkin (two previous characters interacting that have never met each other). Also Cair Paravel, rebuilt during Caspian X's reign is shown in a little more detail.

Anyway, after "The Silver Chair" I think they should do "The Magician's Nephew," then "The Horse and His Boy," and finally "The Last Battle." I just really hope that they will not make any of these movies about the Pevensies. They are great adventure stories that stand on their own. I can't wait to see them made into films!

Bold statements.

#1: While you are entitled to your opinion about the movies, you have seen a TRAILER for VDT. Nothing more, nothing less. You cannot judge an entire movie by its trailer any more than you can judge an entire book by the text on the back cover or the book jacket.

#2: To say "they didn't even TRY" is not only ignorant, it's flat out wrong. They protected the movie from becoming Pirates of the Caribbean 4 (which, ironically, Disney is currently producing). Since the movie switched to Fox, it's become closer to the book than it would have been. Trust me. I'm in the know. I just can't give more details.

#3: Movies are never the same as books. Movies mostly can fit the spirit of the books that they are based upon, but never be exact. There was a director that decided to film a book, page for page. The movie was over 9 hours long. The edited version that hit theaters was about 2-3 hours. But people have seen the 9 hour version. I can't tell you what movie it is, because the people that told me about it didn't remember. But it happened, and it was ridiculous in length.

#4: Whether or not a particular movie has captured the spirit of the novel on which it is based is all perception. For instance: my perception of LWW is that it is definitely very close to the book and managed to capture the spirit of the novel. I also felt that Prince Caspian was true to the spirit of the novel, that the characters were more true to life than their counterparts in the book (and in some cases more true to the book characters than some people notice). In some ways I felt that the film bested the book (which I know is something that could make me a social pariah among Narnia fans). But know that this is my opinion of how they have done so far.

As for Dawn Treader: wait until you see it before you make any judgment calls about it. As to the rest of the series, I hope that all are eventually filmed, and I believe that they will be.

The question here isn't whether they should continue to make Narnia movies, but which should be next: Silver Chair or Magician's Nephew.

If you want to talk book vs. movie, there are many places here to do that.

Also, see this story, which I find to be pretty spot on, based on my experiences talking to some people that I know: http://themovieblog.com/2006/07/why-people-prefer-the-book-to-the-movie

Reply to 1: Oh yes you can! I have seen many many many movies with bad trailers that turned out to be bad anyway.
I know you went to go see all the footage are not quite as much as a purist about the making of them so I can understand why you're more mellow about it.

reply to 2: Yes I have seen the original scripts. It was PRETTY bad,I mean come on! BOTH the pevensie sister favoring Caspian,thats going overboard.
But I would expect a teensy bit closer to the book if they were trying to protect it. I seem some lavishness.

reply to 3: Movies CAN be pretty exact to books. I know I have an example but I have a headache so my memory is not that good(trust me this is not an excuse.)
Plus the narnia books are only what 15 chapters long? 15 medium chapters long? PC could've been done a little better if instead of doing a raid and showing too much boring walking,they could've shown some sequences of just Caspian and the narnian's battles.

Yes I will be seeing it opening day to see just what they chopped out. I feel strongly because this is my favorite one.

If I go see it and I still think it bad,then no amount of persuasion with change that.

I probably have hi-jacked a thread but one last thing: If they do TSC next and then pull a george lucas and make the MN a prequel with HHB,well.....

Okay I opt out for good now

I probably have hi-jacked a thread but one last thing: If they do TSC next and then pull a george lucas and make the MN a prequel with HHB,well.....

Specter knows a lot more about the movie than we do, so please, don't attack him, and listen to him. He knows what is going on more than you do, to be perfectly honest. If Specter says to give the movie a chance and that it will be okay, why not give him the benefit of the doubt? And I can give you an example of a movie being almost exactly like the book: Bridge to Terabinthia. But since I hate both, I'd rather not go into that. :rolleyes: But honestly, movies that are exactly like the books are not enjoyable for the majority of audiences. I'm pretty sure Bridge wasn't exactly like, but it was pretty darn close.

HHB is not a prequel. I mean, it's a prequel in the sense that it comes before PC, DT, SC and TLB, but making it after MN would not be far from the true publication order. Unless I'm mistaken, MN was published as the book before TLB and after HHB. I honestly don't see where you get that that would be a "George Lucas" when in reality, it would make as much logical sense as making TSC next. It will become confusing for non book audiences when it comes down to any of the last 3 movies/books. If you don't know the stories inside and out, you will be confused. There's no way around that. But in my mind, releasing MN and TLB together would be ULTRA confusing because you have the beginning of Narnia and then the end of Narnia. If you have HHB in between, you eliminate some confusion. Not to mention, the kids will be a lot older by HHB, and will be able to play their adult selves rather well.

ANd after re-reading tirian's post, I just basically re-stated his thoughts. :p

Back