Your Thoughts: Setting Not in Narnia!

holyboy

Retired Purplemite
Royal Guard
Emeritus
Our book discussion question this week was:

In the first two Narnia books, the setting takes place in the country of Narnia. However, as Lewis continued to write the stories, he altered the settings to the Eastern Sea, the giant's mountains, and even in early 19th century London and New Narnia. Why did he decide to not have these books take place in Narnia?

What are your thoughts?

Even New Narnia, TF?

Perhaps C.S. Lewis wanted to introduce some variety. The children were always traveling to new worlds, doing new things... And you notice that Narnia is always at the heart of the books, even if they're set elsewhere. Narnia is the goal and/or setting out point in each story, and the good characters are usually Narnian. Or going to be Narnian. (Thinking of HHB) So while Narnia is the central home for all the stories, the characters are not chained to home turf. Besides, in some cases...home turf is just a little too benevolent and sweet for a truly adventurous story.
Anyone have better thoughts? I'm kinda feeling around in the dark here....

Nothing strange about it. A sci-fi series might start with adventures in our own Solar System before depicting an interstellar voyage. You have to start anything somewhere; and Narnia has claim to being the most interesting place in its world. All the same, Narnia IS only one part of a world, though clearly a smaller world than ours; thus, it only makes sense to see more of that world.

Our book discussion question this week was:

In the first two Narnia books, the setting takes place in the country of Narnia. However, as Lewis continued to write the stories, he altered the settings to the Eastern Sea, the giant's mountains, and even in early 19th century London and New Narnia. Why did he decide to not have these books take place in Narnia?

What are your thoughts?

I thought about it, and I say that after awhile, Narnia was like my house. I knew a lot about. I say Lewis might have wanted to convey the longing that people like Aravis and Shasta had to be in Narnia. Narnia stands for freedom and happiness and I think everyone wants a pieces of that, don't you?

Back