Carrie Underwood's "There's a Place for Us"

NarniaExpert

4 out of 5 Shields

At the end of each Chronicles of Narnia movie there is a point when the film
must draw to a close. Durring the conclusion of the film an ending song must transition viewers between the world of Narnia and the local movie theater where they are screening the film. These songs have a special role of setting an emotional tone for the audience as they leave the theater. Carrie Underwood had the job of performing and writing the song “There’s a Place for Us” which is the concluding song to The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. This song is three minutes and fifty three seconds long and is available for download from the United State iTunes Store for $1.29 (visit http://www.narniafans.com/archives/10227 to download).
A positive aspect of this song is that it is inspired by the story of the movie. The song has Narnian references about being kings and queens of another world. Without analyzing the lyrics into scrutinizing detail, it is important that the overarching themes of the song are consistent with the themes of the story. The song is about having a place in the world and your freedom to chose to follow your dreams. In the movie Lucy’s character is lost trying to be like her older sister Susan. Aslan tells Lucy,”You doubt your value. Don’t run from who you are.” In the film Lucy must learn her place and be content with being who she is and not chasing after her sister’s life. In the story Edmund is lost finding his place in our world when he used to be a king of Narnia. The song parallels his character’s journey to find his place in our world after having a place in the world of Narnia. The themes of the song fit with the story of the film and have some obvious connections to the movie.
What I enjoy about this song is that it slowly builds while it is able to transition from the film into the credits very well. As the song develops it begins to build near the middle and then quietly work its way back down to fade into an ending. The song did not have as much of a country music style as I expected that it would. What I like about the instrumental portion of the song is that it has orchestral influences. You can hear great use of strings in this song and it gives the song a grander cinematic feeling.
The song’s style fits well, but the song is not nearly as impressive as the visuals that accompany it. Fans will be surprised to see a magnificent tribute to the original illustrations from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. This is a great way to end the movie. This ties the film back to the original book and is a great visual presentation. The images flow with the timing of the music and work well together. The end credits are excellent, but not because of this song. What makes the end credits fantastic is the references to the classic illustrations.
Carrie Underwood is not the only person who has recorded a version of the song. International artists are also recording cover versions. The Swedish band E.M.D was the first to perform the song. E.M.D.’s performance of the song can be found here http://www.narniafans.com/archives/9836 The E.M.D. version was a live version that obviously was not as polished as the American version. I liked the harmony in this version, but it lacked the clarity that the American version had. During the Regent Street lighting ceremony Joe McElderry performed his version of the song. I liked his performance of the song and will look forward to hearing the recorded version of this. The three versions of the song are all very similar, so it is difficult to compare them. I like the American version better than the Swedish version that I have heard. I will need to wait until I can hear the completed version of the UK song before I can tell if it is better than Carrie Underwood’s version. “There’s a Place for Us” is a better song than “Can’t Take it In” by Imogan Heap, but does not transition as well as “The Call” by Regina Spektor. So far Switchfoot’s “This is Home” is my favorite Chronicles of Narnia end credits song.
“There’s a Place for Us” is a good way to end the movie. It has themes inspired by the story of the film. The song has a good musical style that slowly builds with orchestral background music. The best part of the end credits is not this song, it is the visual tribute to Pauline Baynes illustrations. The song is very similar to other international versions of the song. There’s a place for this song in the movie, and this song belongs exactly where it is... at the end of an enjoyable movie adaptation of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

I've listened to it over and over again, and it's amazing! But still not as good as "This is Home." Still, that's by my all-time favorite band, so I'm a little biased. :rolleyes:

If it is country music, I will not like it. I can't stand any country muisic.

MrBob

First of all, why does everyone assume that country stars can ONLY sing country? :mad: To be perfectly honest, even though country celebrities don't live like it, they respect God AND Christianity unlike many other genres of music, and I might add, country music is an (not the) epitome of patriotism in this country. Except for the rare exception of people like the Dixie Chicks. :rolleyes:

And no, it is NOT a country song.

I'm still waiting for an official music video.

Carrie Underwood is not a perfect artist... some of her songs aren't what I would consider wholesome. But "Temporary Home", anybody? That is way better than most songs released in other genres!

I never said all of the songs were wholesome, nor would I even try to pretend they were. On the whole, though, country artists are the most patriotic and loyal people you'll meet, and they don't mind singin songs that include the name of God. *Currently exemplified in the program "CMA Country Christmas"; you wouldn't believe the political incorrectness going around on the show. ;) *

Most of Carrie Underwood's songs, except for a handful, don't condone a wild lifestyle.

Oh, I understand! I didn't think you were suggesting that hers were all good! And I wasn't suggesting that they were all bad! Most of her songs are wholesome and good. "Change", "Lessons Learned", "Temporary Home," and "Just a Dream" are my favorites. :) Carrie is my best friend's favorite artist. She got me listening to her music this summer. :)

I remember when Carrie won American Idol...I was rootin for her because she was from Oklahoma, and I'm glad that at least for the moment, she's stayed away from the path of people like Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera...and Lady Gag(a) :rolleyes:

I remember when Carrie won American Idol...I was rootin for her because she was from Oklahoma, and I'm glad that at least for the moment, she's stayed away from the path of people like Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera...and Lady Gag(a) :rolleyes:

Could you even imagine what it would be like if they got Lady Gaga to sing the song for the Silver Chair movie?

Could you even imagine what it would be like if they got Lady Gaga to sing the song for the Silver Chair movie?
I would sue Fox and Walden Media for their willful cause of mental distress, and then I would boycott the movie.

*presses the forum's imaginary 'like' button*

It's just interesting, because several months ago I actually had a nightmare where it was announced that Lady Gaga would peform a song for the Narnia movies and in the dream I ended up watching a music video in which she sang (in a duet with the Lady of the Green Kirtle) a song about going to Harfang.

ON TOPIC: I think Carrie did a great job. Sure the lyrics are cheesy, but I think most of us would have overlooked the lyrics had Carrie been the first person we heard sing the song. Since we heard a bad version of the song first it was easier to pick apart the lyrics before we heard them with the good music and Carrie.

Oh, well I've never heard the bad version. xD Was it E.M.D. or something like that? I heard the first few words, hated the voices, and stopped the vid at once, so I never heard the lyrics.

But the Sonarah or whatever it is one that just came out is pretty dreadful. And my friend mistook the guy on the left for Justin Bieber at first, and just about had a heart-attack of horror. xD

stan walkers credit song

i sat through the entire end credits and after carrie's song is stan walker's song (he was our recent australian idol winner). its called "stand up" and i cant stop playing it. its beautiful. i wonder if it will just be on the australian release or the international release?

No offense to Mr. Walker, but I didn't like the song OR the lyrics. The video was nice though; it showed some new clips, but I didn't see what the song had to do with Narnia.

Maybe that was due to the fact that I couldn't really understand him.

Back