A different beginning to the book

TimmyofOz

I came across some information on what is called the The Lefay Fragment, which is a different beginning to The Magician Nephew written by Lewis where Digory was able to talk with animals while still in England. Does anyone know if this is a forgery? It does seem to highlight Lewis' trouble with writting MN and why it was the last book to be completed.

I came across some information on what is called the The Lefay Fragment, which is a different beginning to The Magician Nephew written by Lewis where Digory was able to talk with animals while still in England. Does anyone know if this is a forgery? It does seem to highlight Lewis' trouble with writting MN and why it was the last book to be completed.

We don't know as Lewis never said but as for Digory he was told to bury the magic rings by Aslan so no one else can enter Narnia without his say so. Lewis did have trouble in writting MN for he tried to give Jadis a bit of backround not the white witch as in his first book witch was his only book he intended to write the rest just followed as he said.

I just read a blog, "A Pilgrim in Narnia," posted 5/5/2014 which mentions a visit to the Wade Center at Wheaton College in which the writer's tour group got to see the LeFay fragment. I will see if I can find out more about its authenticity (If I can catch my son before he leaves campus for the summer, I will have him check on its authenticity, or else I have the telephone number of the Wade and I will call the librarian there to find out more).

LeFay Chronicles

Hi All,
My son stopped by the Wade Center this week after finals where the LeFay Chronicles are housed to ask about their authenticity. Here is the text he sent me about it:

Short version of lefay chronicles. It's from lewis' notebooks, he read them to roger lancelyn green on june 14 1949, so they were written before then. Lots of snippets recycled in other books: digory, polly, and their introduction ("that's a strange name") into magneph. his unpleasant aunt gertrude became the headmistress in sil chr.

So now you know ;)

So it is authentic but never used; interesting. Thanks Benisse! (And please thank Aaron!) Why is it called lefray, did I miss the explanation?

I forget the source for this, but Lewis certainly had a character named Digory in an early draft of a book that was never published, before he even started Narnia. That Digory could talk to oak trees and stuff like that. The book was discarded, but some of the ideas worked their way in when he was writing TMN. But it was not an alternative beginning to the series.

Peeps

I forget the source for this, but Lewis certainly had a character named Digory in an early draft of a book that was never published, before he even started Narnia. That Digory could talk to oak trees and stuff like that. The book was discarded, but some of the ideas worked their way in when he was writing TMN. But it was not an alternative beginning to the series.

Peeps

Good information, Peepiceek. That makes a lot of sense. I know a lot of authors re-use character names and plot ideas from a story that didn't work out in a story that does succeed.

Lewis floated many ideas for quite a while before he used them in the various books of the Chronicles of Narnia. As I said in another thread, in THS when the ladies are trying on dresses and robes at the end of the book for Ransom's farewell celebration. Well all the robes in the big room where they were stored are described as looking like a forest and the Director called the room the Wardrobe. This was written about 5 year before the LWW and yet Lewis was already playing with the idea of a wood in a Wardrobe.

Inky, LeFay is a reference to Morgan LeFay, I believe; so it implies Mrs. LeFay had fairy blood (or other non human blood). The way Lewis describes her, prefigures his description of Mr. Cornelius in Prince Caspian, who was half dwarf.

Okay, here is my son Aaron's summary of the LeFay Fragment that he got to read in one of Lewis's own notebooks at the Wade Center at Wheaton College:

The Lefay fragments were from one of Lewis' notebook. They were composed sometime before June 14, 1949, when Lewis read them to Roger Lancelyn Green, and they formed part of a prequel to The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (is the Oxford comma correct in the title?). It's about two chapters (27 handwritten pages) and contains many details that were folded into other books.

Digory, an orphan, lives with his aunt Gertrude, who “became a schoolteacher so she could bully the pupils, then became a headmistress so she could bully the schoolteachers, [became a district administrator] so she could bully the headmistresses, and then she was appointed minister of something or other in parliament and bullied everbody.” (She became the schoolmistress in Silver chair). NB: I read the manuscript almost exactly a week ago, so my quotations are not verbatim, but as close as I can recall. Fortunately, because Digory's aunt is always out doing parliamentary things, his life is not so bad. The servant Cook has been a part of the family for years and is nice to him, and although Aunt Gertrude dislikes Cook, she cannot fire her because no one would willingly work for her (I would bet good money that one of the events later in the story, had it been continued, would have been Cook getting fired, right before Digory hits rock bottom). Digory occupies his time, when he's not in school, with going down to the woods on his Aunt's property, where Digory talks to the trees and the animals. Oak is his solid and steady best friend, Birch is a mercurial dancer, I don't recall Elm's personality, and Pattertwig is a frenetic squirrel.

Much evidence is given for how carefully Digory hides his unique talent because he's tired of meeting with disbelief. One day, as he's sitting on Oak's shoulders and talking to Pattertwig, he is seen by a girl he'd never seen before. Polly introduces herself (the dialogue is almost word for word as it is in The Magician's Nephew, minus the bit about crying), and Digory tells a fib to explain what he was doing. Polly wants to build a raft, and persuades Digory to assist her in cutting off one of Oak's branches for a mast. His desire to be liked is overrides his love for his happy tree friends, and he saws off one of Oak's branches. (something about the style or the setting makes this whole piece feel more like a Nesbit book, or an Edward Eager book than a Narnia book).

End Chapter 1.

Chapter 2 begins with Aunt Gertrude informing Digory that his godmother, Mrs. Lefay, is oming to visit. This surprises Digory as he had never heard of his Godmother. Aunt Gertrude gives a very nice demonstration of the teaching style Lewis critiqued in the experimental school in The Silver Chair. Paraphrasing heavily: “I'll not tell you what she's like, because I want you to think for your self,” his aunt said, “but if you observe me carefully, I'm sure you'll see why I think she's rude, unmannered, and slovenly.” While waiting for Mrs. Lefay to arrive, Digory discovers that his treespeak is gone. Heartbroken, he comes back inside to await Mrs. Lefay.

Mrs. Lefay turns out to be the “Fattest and shortest” woman Digory had ever seen (perhaps dwarven?). Her black dress is covered in yellowish dust that she claims is snuff (perhaps a precursor to the dust in The Magician's Nephew?). She gives a pretty good Mary Poppins impression until Aunt Gertrude leaves, when she then reveals that she knows about Digory's loss, and hints that there might be redemption. In her words “You [Digory] look exactly what Adam must have looked like, five minutes after he'd been turned out of the Garden of Eden,” (65). (I copied this one down the day of, so I know it's accurate).

End Chapter 2, and the fragment.

Thoughts:
I don't think this would have worked as a Narnia story. The plot seems very England-centered at this time, and it may perhaps have worked out as a Magician's Nephew-style story where they actively hop from world to world, but the opening conflict in the fragments are rooted firmly in England, unlike Polly's vanishing act in Magician's. It's still a nice premise, and I can see it working out like the end of The Horse and his Boy, with Aslan telling everybody what would have happened if they'd done the right thing, but it wouldn't have made a good Narnia story.

Sources:
I got everything from the Wade Center at Wheaton College.
The history of the Lefay Fragments came from C.S. Lewis: Companion and Guide by Walter Hooper (around page 403, I believe).
The Lefay Fragments are reproduced in Hooper's Past Watchful Dragons.
I read the fragments in a facsimile of C.S. Lewis' Notebooks, specifically MS-199, pages 41-68.

Last edited:
Morgan(a) LeFay for those of you not familiar with Arthurian legend is King Arthur's step-sister and some times she was a helpful figure but most times she was presented as Arthur's enemy. She was a sorceress who rivaled Merlin frequently. Her mention in Magician's Nephew is no accident and the fact that she was Uncle Andrew's Godmother was also very telling.

Morgan(a) LeFay for those of you not familiar with Arthurian legend is King Arthur's step-sister and some times she was a helpful figure but most times she was presented as Arthur's enemy. She was a sorceress who rivaled Merlin frequently. Her mention in Magician's Nephew is no accident and the fact that she was Uncle Andrew's Godmother was also very telling.

I thought they were two different characters. By the way, I go to get my hands on that book Past Watchful Dragons.

I just read the LeFay fragment, cited in its entirety, in Hooper's Past Watchful Dragons. It was quite entertaining, with the wonderful characterizations Lewis creates even with just snippets of dialogue and indirect descriptions.

In the fragment, LeFay is Digory's Godmother (with a capital G), and is quite a discerning and no-nonsense character who appears to be understanding -- or at least it seems like she intends to help Digory (she intuitively understands the loss of his tree-speak and animal-speak without his having to tell her anything). In fact she is in the process of telling him how to find her when he wants to see her --when the story abruptly ends.

Here is Digory's first interaction with LeFay:
The visitor was the shortest and fattest woman he had ever seen. When you saw her face from the front it looked almost square, and very big. When you saw it from the side the long nose and the long chin stuck out so that they almost met. She was dressed in black and her chest seemed to be all covered with some kind of yellow dust.

"Don't be afraid you're going to have to kiss me," said the old woman staring at Digory with very keen eyes under very fierce grey eyebrows. "I'm too ugly for that and ten to one you don't like snuff. I do, though" -- and she took out a little gold box and took a big pinch of snuff up one of her wide nostrils and then another big pinch up the other.

"How do you do, Godmother?" said Digory politely.

"I won't ask how you do," said Mrs. LeFay. "Because I see you do very badly."

Aww! What a shame we didn't get an entire story, she sounds like a fun character. We really needed more children's stories from CSL ...

Back