Chronicles of Prydain

Sunrise

Since nobody's mentioned this one yet, I'm put in my usual role as crusader.

Anybody out there a fan of Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain? It's a series of five books:

The Book of Three
The Black Cauldron
The Castle of Llyr
Taran Wanderer
The High King

Please don't confuse them with the Disney animated movie from the 80's. Disney's The Black Cauldron pretended to be based on the books, but it is considered by most fans to be an utter abomination.

Any fans of Narnia would probably enjoy them. They are geared toward older kids/young teens, but I know a ton of adults (myself included) that count them among their favorites and re-read them at least once a year.

Sunrise said:
Since nobody's mentioned this one yet, I'm put in my usual role as crusader.

Anybody out there a fan of Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain? It's a series of five books:

The Book of Three
The Black Cauldron
The Castle of Llyr
Taran Wanderer
The High King

Please don't confuse them with the Disney animated movie from the 80's. Disney's The Black Cauldron pretended to be based on the books, but it is considered by most fans to be an utter abomination.

Any fans of Narnia would probably enjoy them. They are geared toward older kids/young teens, but I know a ton of adults (myself included) that count them among their favorites and re-read them at least once a year.

I read those books and enjoyed them a lot. I do feel it is a rip off off a lot of the ideas of LotR. Lloyd Alexander's Westmark Trilogy I feel is better.

Last edited:
I didn't like Westmark beyond the first book; I couldn't get into all the politics, although the characters were good.

I don't think Prydain rips off LotR, although certainly there are similarities, stemming from the fact that both are mono-mythic stories based on a lot of Celtic myth, although Alexander drew off of Welsh while Tolkien had more of a Nordic influence.

The young hero, the wise old sage, the magical object, the mysterious and seldom-seen evil "dark lord", the comic relief character, the noble mentor, the journey's end in some Otherworld - these are all classic fantasy/myth archetypes that Tolkein used, but he didn't make them up. If he had, then stories like Star Wars and Harry Potter would also be ripping off of LotR. But the fact is, he was using a formula as old as mankind. Alexander just happened to use the same formula when he wrote the Chronicles. Most fantasy, in fact, uses it, because it works - humans identify with it on almost an instinctual level.

You want a Tolkein rip-off, pick up Terry Brook's Shanarra series.

Me too! I read the novels ages ago so I barely remember them. I don't even really remember the names of the characters! My favourite, however, is the Black Cauldron.

Names of Characters? I can help you there:

Main Hero: Taran of Caer Dallben (also often referred to as Taran, Assistant Pig-Keeper)

Core group of companions:
Fflewddur Fflam: the exxageration-prone bard with the magical truth-telling harp
Princess Eilonwy of Llyr: the sharp-tongued and pragmatic love-interest
Gurgi: the weird half man/beast who speaks of himself in third person with lots of odd rhyming phrases
Doli: the grumpy dwarf who is always reluctantly helping the others out of scrapes

Other main characters:
Dallben: the wizard who is Taran's adoptive mentor
Coll: the farmer who serves as something of a foster-father
Gwydion of Don: the warrior-prince of Prydain, Taran's hero
Arawn of Annuvin: the evil "dark lord" who causes all the trouble
Achren: the evil enchantress who causes some trouble of her own

There's a host of minor characters, too. But I won't go into them here! :p

Ithilien said:
Too bad I can't really. My mom sold them in a garage sale. Or maybe she couldn't! I'm going to check...

Can you tell me very short where the books are going about?

Are there centaurs, talking beasts, naiads, fauns, witches, giants, dragons, like in Narnia (In Narnia there are three dragons: One of the Lords of Caspians Father, Eustace and a dragon which Eustace meets in the Silver Chair (Eustace is a boy then again))?

Or is it more like in the Lord of the Rings with four or five main races: the dwarves, the human, the elfs, the ents, the hobbits (, the mermaids, the orcs, the wizzards, the Balrogs, the dark lord(s), the ..., ...)?

Is it a very exciting quest like in the Lord of the Rings?

Or is it more like a very nice and pleasant, sometimes exciting adventure, like in Narnia?

Puzzle_the_Donky said:
Can you tell me very short where the books are going about?

Are there centaurs, talking beasts, naiads, fauns, witches, giants, dragons, like in Narnia (In Narnia there are three dragons: One of the Lords of Caspians Father, Eustace and a dragon which Eustace meets in the Silver Chair (Eustace is a boy then again))?

Or is it more like in the Lord of the Rings with four or five main races: the dwarves, the human, the elfs, the ents, the hobbits (, the mermaids, the orcs, the wizzards, the Balrogs, the dark lord(s), the ..., ...)?

Is it a very exciting quest like in the Lord of the Rings?

Or is it more like a very nice and pleasant, sometimes exciting adventure, like in Narnia?

Wow, lots of questions. I'll do my best to answer them. I guess the best way is to first give a little summary, and then talk about how they are different from the other series you mentioned.

The books center around one main character, a young orphan farm boy named Taran, who longs for adventure and excitement and heroism but is stuck tending the pig (who is more important than she seems). In the course of five novels he travels (sometimes accidentally) from one adventure to another, along with a very colorful cast of characters he picks up on the way. In almost every case, the hardships and dangers he undergoes can be traced back to the main villain, the mysterious Arawn of Annuvin, a dark lord of death whose purpose is to take over the entire kingdom. So, while the fate of Prydain lies constantly in the balance, we watch Taran grow in wisdom and maturity over the course of five books until he fulfills his destiny in the end.

That all sounds rather dry and dull at first glance - but the books are delightful. The adventures are exciting, the characters lovable and engaging, and the plots, although simple on the surface, hold great meaning and depth when read with a critical eye.

In comparing them with Lord of the Rings, the scope of Prydain is much smaller than Tolkein's epic. There are no other races, really, although there are mythical creatures, and a very Celtic-myth based underground world populated by various faerie creatures known collectively as "The Fair Folk". Only a few of these creatures take an important role in the story, but there are also wizards, enchantresses, weird "fate"-like creatures, and a few talking beasts (although these are the exception, not the norm). However, the story as a whole is far more concerned with humans in general and Taran in particular, aside from the magical elements. The series is written with a much younger audience in mind than that for which Lord of the Rings is intended, and it reflects this in its (relative) simplicity of style and plot.

As far as a Narnia comparison, Prydain is more like it in reading level, and can be read, like Narnia, for light, pleasant enjoyment with some fun sword-and-sorcery adventure thrown in. Because it has a child (or young teen) as its main character, young readers identify with Taran, his challenges, joys, and sufferings very easily, while adults appreciate the gentle wisdom and insight of the author. While it doesn't share the spiritual significance of the Narnia allegories, it is full of messages about maturity, compassion, perseverance, self-control, and sacrifice.

Just as an added note, the books were inspired heavily by the collection of Welsh myths called the Mabinogi. So if you're into Celtic folk tradition at all, it's an added bonus and makes them even more enjoyable.

I hope this helps. If you are interested in reading the books, you could always just start out with the first one and decide if you like them enough to continue.

Last edited:
Sunrise said:
Wow, lots of questions. I'll do my best to answer them. I guess the best way is to first give a little summary, and then talk about how they are different from the other series you mentioned.

The books center around one main character, a young orphan farm boy named Taran, who longs for adventure and excitement and heroism but is stuck tending the pig (who is more important than she seems). In the course of five novels he travels (sometimes accidentally) from one adventure to another, along with a very colorful cast of characters he picks up on the way. In almost every case, the hardships and dangers he undergoes can be traced back to the main villain, the mysterious Arawn of Annuvin, a dark lord of death whose purpose is to take over the entire kingdom. So, while the fate of Prydain lies constantly in the balance, we watch Taran grow in wisdom and maturity over the course of five books until he fulfills his destiny in the end.

That all sounds rather dry and dull at first glance - but the books are delightful. The adventures are exciting, the characters lovable and engaging, and the plots, although simple on the surface, hold great meaning and depth when read with a critical eye...

I hope this helps. If you are interested in reading the books, you could always just start out with the first one and decide if you like them enough to continue.

Sounds interesting, thanks! I think I am going to read it.

Chronicles Of Prydian

I just finished the chronicles of Prydian, books 1 and 2 in 1 and 1/2 days.

My friend,Andrew Pierini is reading the first book. He says it's cool.
They are AWESOME!!!! :cool: :)

I read these years ago. I just started rereading them. I had forgotten how much I liked them. I don't know much about the Westmark (?) books, though.

I LOVE THESE BOOKS! I can't believe someone mentioned them... They are one of my favorite series, along with HP and Narnia.

Eilonwy rocks!!!!! That's all I have to say-- I love her sense of humor.

I originally read 'The Book of Three' in my 6th grade English class, and I loved it, so I went on and read them all. And they are great. They are geared to younger readers... it is a simple, easy read (hence reading it in the 6th grade) but it is a great story. I have read them countless times since then.

Personally I don't like 'Taran Wanderer', the fourth one. Its just about the main character, Taran, trying to figure out where he came from. And its incredibly boring. But all of the others are very interesting and filled with adventure.

Eilonwy is my favorite character too, Lucy. Welcome to the thread!

(In fact, I'm geek enough to be writing a fanfic about her, taking place during the time frame of Taran Wanderer. I don't take it too seriously but it's a fun creative exercise.)

Speaking of Taran Wanderer, I wasn't crazy about it at first either (yeah, you guessed it, because NO EILONWY hello!) but as I've gotten older I've come to appreciate it far more.

I'm glad a few more people have responded to this thread. Prydain just doesn't get enough love these days! ;)

echoscot said:
I read these years ago. I just started rereading them. I had forgotten how much I liked them. I don't know much about the Westmark (?) books, though.

I've never been able to get through Westmark. The first book was readable, but after that they got too...I don't know, glum and political. I think he was using the French Revolution as inspiration? Which is maybe why I couldn't get into them. Mickle is a fun character, though.

Prydain specifically appeals to me because of its relation to Welsh mythology, and I have a weakness toward all things Celtic. I've illustrated the series extensively (for my own pleasure, not in an official capacity, alas). Here's an example:

TheOpportunistPry.jpg

-From The Book of Three, when Taran tries to sneak a peek into the book while Dallben snoozes.

Last edited:
I love your sig, there. Where did you find that painting? Anyway, yes, I started reading them years ago, when I learned Disney was doing the Black Cauldron. Before bashing the film, I must say that it has grown on me, I now have the DVD. Even though it isn't all that faithful to the books, it is rather entertaining.

I learned quite a bit, and of course being a boy, I went around pretending to be Taran Assistant Pig-Keeper. I thought that was GREAT!!!!

Did you miss what I wrote? I PAINTED that painting. :D Along with many others. My largest gallery is down at the moment, but you can see a few other works of mine here.

Ick, I loathe the Disney film with such fiery, white-hot passion! My wildest dreams involve a world in which somebody of Peter Jackson's caliber takes on Prydain for a series of live-action films; I've actually asked Lloyd Alexander via fan mail about that possibility but the word is that Disney still owns all film rights and has no plans to do anything with them. *mutters savagely under breath*

Not that there aren't some interesting things about the film. It was groundbreaking for its time. It's just too bad the studio was in the middle of such upheaval while it was in production; with decent direction and vision it could have been so much better - starting with a storyline that actually resembled the plot of the book in some fashion, and characters that bore more than the names of their literary counterparts. (I'm not passionate about this, ohno! :p )

I think the movie was okay and enjoyable enough, but it really had nothing to do with the book. Actually, it was more a mix of The Book of Three and The Black Cauldron (ex- how the heck did the Horned King come back to life??) But the books are way better, as with every book-made-movie.

That fanfic should be interesting-- I wonder what Eilonwy was doing while Taran wasn't there??

And HOLY CRAP are you serious you painted those?? They are awesome-- my fav is the one with Eilonwy and Taran, and she is holding her bauble for him to see.

Back