Continuing Caspian...

TolkienGoddess

Ok, so I'm working my way thru PC, and I'm not enjoying it as much as the previous stories. The MN was exciting b/c it was new and Narnia was being founded, then LWW was great for me b/c I was thinking back on the movie and comparing, then I really enjoyed HHB just b/c the story was wonderful! So now I'm on PC, and it just seems to drag on. I don't really like all the animals, and I think there are too many characters in this story. Plus, I don't like how the kids even got into Narnia (being pulled by magic), and I'm not too keen on the time difference b/c I keep having to think backwards. Does anyone else feel this way about PC?? :confused:

It is a hard concept to grasp if your not used to it.

But at any rate I think that it makes Narnia more realistic, as it is a different world not just a different place.

-Austin

Yes, a lot of people struggle with that problem (not I ) of fealing like PC drags on, and that it was the least interesting book in the series. It was the second book that Lewis wrote (after LWW) and I think it really "sets the stage" in a way for the rest of the books, esp., VotDT.

I don't know if you've gotten to the part yet, but in PC it explains why the Pevensie kids got "pulled in by magic", and it makes more sense.

Hope this helps and Welcome to the forum!!!

Last edited:
This is one of the problems that occurs when you read the books out of publication order in my opinion. One of the main purposes of PC was to establish the time difference between Narnia and England. PC forces you to realize how much Narnia has changed since the 1 year the children were in their own world. They, upon their return, find out that it's been so long in fact...that they themselves are looked at as heros in a fairy tale (a fairy tale that some believe may or may not have happened). Most of the creatures in Narnia aren't even sure that Aslan exists by this time.

As a story, it's not as interesting for sure. I like the concepts in the book though, which are somewhat important to understand throughout the rest of the series.

I don't think you can judge a book halfway through it though, there's alot of action at the end of that book. Plus you get to meet one of those most lovable creatures in the series, Reepicheep.

It's not my favorite story, but it has it's purpose. I still think it'll make a good movie if done right.

All true to his own. For me though it was by far the best book. Though Caspians age was a little vegue...I was thinking 11-12...But back to the point. It defiently helps to read in Puplication Order and sets the stage for all the other books -HHB and MN.

I didn't like the idea of the story at first but it'll grow on you. It really picks up in the last half.

I hope it picks up. I just got to the part where Edmund takes the letter, and Miraz and his troops are discussing what to do.

I do know why the Pevencies were "pulled" in, but I don't like it as much as "finding the way". I guess I value free will a bit too much. ;)

I think there are too many animals in this story. When Caspian was going to meet everyone, at the dancing lawn, and then in the cave. Some would become main characters, and some would not, and it was hard to keep track of them all and bring the main characters back up into memory.

I didn't read them in any particular order by choice. I have the big, hard back book, with all 7 stories included and they are ordered that way. (MN, LWW, HHB, PC....I haven't really looked past PC). I'm glad I read MN first. I read all the LOTR books, and then the Silmarillion, and I wish I would have known how Middle Earth came to be before reading all about it. Same goes for Narnia.

Were I have to read "The Magician's Nephew" first I probably would never have read another one. Even liking the others in the series I stuggled with that one and to this day remember almost nothing of it.

My first one was "Prince Caspian" --and it hooked me forever. The class I joined had recently read 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" and I got there the day they started "Prince Caspian." I thought it magical, and quickly devoured LW&W while we were reading "Prince Caspian." I just re-read it and I like it just as much. Especially as it was the original four children all together for the last time being stranded on a deserted isle and having to fend for themselves. Plus the introduction of Caspian who'd be a major player in "The Voyage of the Dan Treader" and play a part in "The Silver Chair." Plus the introduction of Trumpkin, who I really liked.

C'mon, you didn't like the introduction of Reepicheep? :)

Back