Did Mr Tumus Love Lucy?

It's clear that there was friendship between Tumnus and Lucy. For one thing he put his own life in danger to let her escape. Also Lucy was insistent that he be rescued.

Last edited:
Of course he loved her. But I also think he wanted to protect her because she was a child and he was a grown-up, and that's what grown-ups do, protect children.

Right. One could easily say the same thing for Scarcrow and Dorothy in the film version of Wizard of Oz. Others have ( albeit)misread the love between the members of the Fellowship of the Ring. Teh fact is the love shown is a very pure, selfless love. Does it look "romantic" at times, perhaps but that is because it is so ingrained into our culture to equate love only with roamnce and not friendship.

In some ways he was also a playmate for her, she was young and wanted a friend and he was lonely and probably very happy to be reminded of being young and innocent and playful.

Then again how old was Tumnus? Is a faun's age measured the same way our is? Say is 50 in faun years considered a child?

Then again how old was Tumnus? Is a faun's age measured the same way our is? Say is 50 in faun years considered a child?
I never thought of that, but doesn't he remember back before the 100 years of winter? So I assumed he was a grown-up. Plus he lives alone and does his own shopping...

Right. One could easily say the same thing for Scarcrow and Dorothy in the film version of Wizard of Oz. Others have ( albeit)misread the love between the members of the Fellowship of the Ring. Teh fact is the love shown is a very pure, selfless love. Does it look "romantic" at times, perhaps but that is because it is so ingrained into our culture to equate love only with roamnce and not friendship.

Well said Sven-El. :)

Sometimes you find depictions of that pure, self-giving love in the oddest places. The cult-classic horror-action film "The Crow" has as its true emotional center, not the quest of Eric Draven to punish the villains, nor even the erotic love he had lost, but the protective big-brother love he had for the little girl on the skateboard.

That was an aweful color. Sorry. Did anyone else pick up that vibe during the movie?
Meaning what? as in romance? People who have not experienced love for love's sakes cannot understand love that is not romantic. They tend to equal love with romance. They are two completely different things.

Meaning what? as in romance? People who have not experienced love for love's sakes cannot understand love that is not romantic. They tend to equal love with romance. They are two completely different things.
Oh no, I don't think anyone was implying a romance! Lucy was just a little girl. I think we were discussing why he chose to save her at risk of his own life ... Was it love, or honor, or...?

Back