Hairspray

sukapesta

I just saw it yesterday... Such a great movie. Will post my reviews later.

Anyways, has anyone else seen it?

EDIT: here's a review i wrote for another site...

"I believe the most beautiful things in life are big and colorful. Hairspray is one of those things. On to serious business: who knew Hugh Jackman wasn't the only singing, dancing X-Man? James Marsden is one of the outstanding newbies to the musical scene in this film... though I'm pretty sure Elijah Kelley outshines both Marsden and Zac Efron (of High School Musical fame) in terms of singing, dancing, and sheer hotness. Amanda Bynes is a revelation in her comic role (eat your hearts out, Lohan and Duff! Bynes got the whole package!) Of course, Nikki Blonsky takes the spotlight, looking so comfortable in her role with a voice and an attitude up to par with her predecessors. The veterans don't disappoint: it's great to see John Travolta back in the genre that made him famous, even in a fabulous 300-pound fatsuit. Love his scenes with Christopher Walken, who's so disarmingly genuine and steals the show despite his minor role. Michelle Pfeiffer is delicious as the villainous vixen, Queen L is big, black and beautiful as always and Jerry Stiller does a little shoutout to the 1988 John Waters original. The songs are great, but we already know that... My favorite numbers are "Good Morning, Baltimore", "Without Love", "You're Timeless to Me" and of course, "You Can't Stop the Beat". The numbers written for the film, headlined by "Come So Far" are a nice addition (and will certainly get Oscar noms a la Dreamgirls). Choreography is amazing: no surprise considering Shankman is a noted choreographer himself. Excellent wardrobe, makeup and production design (three other areas with possible Oscar nods), note the color scheme in the last sequence (monochromatic Blonsky against the pastel scenery). The film is colorful and campy without being overly saccharine, warm and uplifting without being too preachy. It's a great mix of 60s pop culture and 60s racial consciousness, with the issue so naturally integrated that the "lesson" never felt forced on the audience. Overall, it's an excellent feel-good movie with an outstanding cast that will have you humming the tunes long after the credits roll."

Last edited:
I wanted to see it when the trailer started, but it quickly turned into something I'd be extremely uncomfortable with. Too much sexual innuendo and it looks ridiculous like Grease, and Grease is one of the worst films ever made in my opinion. http://www.pluggedinonline.com/movies/movies/a0003309.cfm

well, i can't really argue with the review you posted... opinions are opinions but the things they described really did happen in the film. one thing, though: they casted john travolta because the original 1988 john waters film feature the crossdressing actor harris glen milstead aka divine. also, a lot of people have been waiting for travolta to do musicals again, and i think this is a great role for him. in my opinion, the accent really isn't bad and being the good actor he is, after a while you forget that it's a man in drag makeup and a fatsuit. also, if this makes a difference to anyone: it's really nothing like grease. while i love grease as a fun song-and-dance film, i know the message it sends out isn't that great. hairspray, on the other hand, sends the message that you don't need to change to reach your dreams, which i think is a much needed change of attitude in today's society.

I've seen the original Hairspray which was made back in the 80's with Ricki Lake. I loved it, I can't wait to see the new version.

ok i saw it and it was sooooooo good!!! i loved it and my mom and best friend did too and my mom usually doesn't like movies nowa days but she loved it. And it wa skind of funny cuz pretty much everyone in the theatre was 50 and over but it was cool and the music was amazing im going ot get the soundtrack.

I saw Hairspray just last week and it was so hilarious. I read the review that Steph put and I can't argue with it because it is all there, but overall it was a very funny movie.

i saw it like a week ago, and i still can't get the songs out of my head,

I LOVE IT!!!

second best movie i've seen all year behind At World's End and i think it will stay in that spot. i even like it better than the original, these characters have so much more heart and they're so much sweeter

i saw it like a week ago, and i still can't get the songs out of my head,

I LOVE IT!!!

second best movie i've seen all year behind At World's End and i think it will stay in that spot. i even like it better than the original, these characters have so much more heart and they're so much sweeter

I know what you mean! It actually recieved great reviews from critics and the box office is there to prove what a great movie Hairspray was. I'm glad I watched it. :)

I have one thing to say: John Travolta playing a MOTHER.

Other than that, it was good. I like the story behind it...Zac Effron looks a lot better with black hair and contacts though :p. The story line was really good, but I could have done without some parts.

Back