How did Peter knew about Prince Caspian?

PunkMaister

At least in the movie is not up until they catch up with the Narnians that they first meet him and yet Peter already knew his name and that he was a prince, how?

At least in the movie is not up until they catch up with the Narnians that they first meet him and yet Peter already knew his name and that he was a prince, how?

Well in the book it was because of Trumpkin. In the movie I guess they found out somthing about Caspian; they were near alot of Telmarine camps so they could've easily heard his name mentioned and that he was being looked for and also that he was the prince. But the movie does kinda contradict itself there.

Its most likely still Trumpkin who somehow manages to work everything out while a prisoner then discusses it with the Pevensies once they meet up.
He IS present after all when Miraz gives his big speach to the Telmarine Lords about Caspian being abducted by Narnians.
He somehow manages to then connect that with the Telmarine boy he saw briefly in the forest with Queen Susan`s horn, which must be so legendary any `Old Narnian` can identify it instantly. If he`s kept his eyes and ears open, he might have been able to pick up a good bit of information from his captors who are after all not just any Telmarines but the men who Miraz sent out to kill Caspian.
Its likely that he, Glozelle and the assassins were still in earshot when the horn was blown and there may have been some sort of magical `feeling` to the sound that a normal horn wouldnt have. Which would explain why some of his first words to the Pevensies are "perhaps that horn worked after all."

This is actually one of the weakest points in the screenply but you can just about get it to work if you think about it.

Last edited:
:eek: lol... I'd never noticed that but u r right;) in the movie you don't see anyone mentioning him!... and Trumpkin never knew of him... he had to make conclusions by himself when he's with Miraz, jmmmm... that's why I don't like to much the movie is not to much about the actual book:mad:

Hey

I just watched that film today and that question occurred to me too - as did the same answer as Asbel suggests.

However, it does mean that Trumpkin has to recognise, in a split second, a horn that he has never seen and has been lost for a thousand years as being Susan's horn, and he has to know all about its significance. Moreover, in that same split second he has to make the judgement that a human he has never met but is probably a Telmarine must be a friend worth fighting and dying for simply because he has this horn in his possession.

I agree with the view that this is one of the weakest points in the screenplay! It also directly contradicts the Trunpkin of the book, who doesn't even believe in the old tales.

Peepiceek

Trumpkin is certainly one `smart cookie` as I`ve said before in another thread discussing this.
The `instant recognition` part seems at least plausable as both Trufflehunter and Nikabrik also reveal that they know about the horn in the later treehouse scene, its perhaps something the Narnians have been looking for since the Telmarine invasion and its description might be learned and passed on `on mothers knee` perhaps as a nursery ryme or something.
So perhaps, although he dosn`t believe in it, Trumpkin`s brief glimpse of the horn on the ground is enough for an `it CANT be` moment and hearing it blown shortly after is enough to help him make the connection.
You have to admit, while he starts out a skeptic the fact that he runs in to the Pevensies so quickly probably shakes him up a bit, even so he`s not entirely willing to put his skepticism aside and start believing in Aslan all at once.

Last edited:

I think we have to remember that a film has a limited amount of time to tell the story. We already knew who Prince Caspian was and why they were fighting. Trupkin would have told them this, but as we already knew it, they film did not need to show it happening. At some point in time in the journey, which we are not showing, Trimkin filled them in.

I've skimmed over everybody's posts, and I have to say this: okay, first of all, when Trufflehunter tells Caspian what the Horn is, then we should assume that all of the other characters are well awareof Narnia's royal history. This means that Trumpkin would have recognized the horn because surely, descriptions of the horn survived 1000 years.

Second, it's very likely that the Old Narnians knew who was who in the Telmarine world. They could have heard that there was a Prince Caspian and they could have also heard that Prunaprismia had a son.

It's not hard to put two and two together, honestly. Besides, it's assumed that Trumpkin tells the children about Caspian anyway, even in the movie.

(And as Asbel suggested, he could have picked up on some of that from being a prisoner of the Telmarines)

Back