I was reading an article on the internet

she-elfwarrior19

I was reading an article and it was talking about how Edmund was the little Word Removed [naughty boy] or something,but he turned into a nice guy right?
Ok then they were talking about how in LWW Aslan( Jesus) dies to save edmund( in the bible it is to save us all). And when you think about it it wouldnt just save edmund,it kind saved all of Narnia. I dont know if im right but i have been thinking about this little theory of mine, do i make a point? Or am i not really right in saying that it didnt just save edmund.lol give me your opinions/

Last edited by a moderator:
To me it always seemed Aslan only saved Edmund. (I mean, he fought for them afterward and put an end to the WW, but his death solely saved Edmund).

I always just thought that as LWW is not intended as a one-to-one allegory with the New Testament, it wasn't necessary for Aslan's death and resurrection to save everyone, it could just save Edmind and that would still tell the Gospel story as it applied to me, because I was certainly a sinner like Edmind (much worse, actually).

In what way do you see Aslan's death and resurrection saving all of Narnia, is it what gave him the power to defeat the witch or ...?

Let's do something that Inked would hate and drag Lewis' views from the Space Trilogy over here. He says in Perelandra that heaven wouldn't repeat itself. As Perelandra's conscious beings were grander and more advanced that human beings, he says, their fall into sin would be deeper and more perilous, and the demands to redeem them would be more awful and terrifying even than what was demanded of Christ on earth. Now, if you subscribe to that reasoning and consider that Narnia comes after earth in timeline of creation or evolution of conscious beings, then their redemption would have required something far beyond the simple death and resurrection of the Savior.

But there is also this to consider: the Narnians did not choose the evil in their world as our first parents chose to sin, and so perhaps no Narnians were guilty of evil, as all human beings are. The Narnians did not need a Savior. Only Edmund did. What do you say to that?

inkspot said:
But there is also this to consider: the Narnians did not choose the evil in their world as our first parents chose to sin, and so perhaps no Narnians were guilty of evil, as all human beings are. The Narnians did not need a Savior. Only Edmund did. What do you say to that?

This is a good point. I never thought of it that way before. However, some Narnians did choose evil after it was already there. The witch had a few dwarfs and wolves, etc on her side.

Well, Inkspot is "spot on" in this case in the facts of Narnia and that Aslan redeemed Edmund. Yet, unlike our world, in the supposal that is Narnia, Aslan is corporeally present and applying his resurrection in subsequent time in Narnia. He actually seems to function as the Holy Spirit does in our world. Which is why Aslan is such a rich symbol of the life of the Godhead, the Blessed Trinity.

And, Inkspot, your use of the rationale in THE SPACE TRILOGY is also right on for our world, as that was the locus of the trilogy. But, using that thought process, one could say that the application of Aslan's death and resurrection in Narnia was suitable for that creation. So we see the similarities, but they need not be identities or strict allegorical representations. And we must ever keep in mind the differences of that Narnian creation and ours. Still, I think it a marvelous illustration of the Truth that all times and places are in God's hand when Aslan makes a Door back into our world for the Telmarines.........!

Back