Main differences?

TheSilverChair

Okay so I have just rewatched Caspian and now that I have read the book I realized some of the differences. The thing is my memory is so bad I do not know all of them. Can anyone list any differences and whether they liked them or not? I will admit I loved the scene with Jadis. Though I hated how Caspian was so old in the movie.

No castle raid scene in the book, no Peter acting like a jerk, no Susan and Lucy helping with battle plans at Aslan's How with the boys. They left out the Romp and all that fun stuff and kept it sickeningly serious. Those are just some I can think of off the top of my head.
Alot of these bugged me; most of them did actually. I loved Edmund in PC though and Reep; those two were the redeeming qualities, oh and Lucy at the bridge with Aslan that scene was good.
And in the book; SUSAN AND CASPIAN DID NOT FALL IN LOVE AND KISS!!!! That part of the movie was sick and twisted.

babe,that book had it's guts ripped out and terribly re-sewn into another body kay?
Pretty much the whole film is a contradiction but I will list all the differences i can think of at the moment:
Caspian's got brown hair
Susan+caspian romance
Peter's a jerk face
the raid scene
the scene with Jadis(no offense to your liking it though)
Caspian's age(though he was dang HAUGHT!)
Prunaprismia being nice to Caspian
contradiction of the line, "I am not here to take your place,but to put you into it." and making peter want his power back.
Fight at the beginning with Peter and other school boys
teenage angst that threw it off-key....
Those are all that comes to mind with me.
If you ask copperfox I'm sure he'll give you some;)

Thank you guys. I was thinking that the castle raid scene didnt happen but I did not want to post it and look like an idiot if it turned out it was in the book. lol.

Thank you guys. I was thinking that the castle raid scene didnt happen but I did not want to post it and look like an idiot if it turned out it was in the book. lol.
No, you are quite right.

Another thing they left out was Lucy's leading everyone in following invisible Aslan until gradually they were able to see him. That was a lovely part of the story in the book, and it was left out of the film. I really disliked their omitting that.

Caspian's being a grown man was another huge difference -- in the book they often refer to him as "the boy Caspian," and that would never have worked in this case! I did not like the way they had to change the film to accommodate Caspian's being so old, and also he looked stupid for not realizing his uncle would want him dead if he produced an heir -- a big boy his age should have figured that out for himself!

Also in the book the White Witch did not return, but I rather liked that sequence except for Peter's being tempted to trust her! That of course would not have happened to book-Peter -- but otherwise I liked how they did that scene in the film.

In the book, Caspian has had a nurse to raise him, and she tells him tales of Old Narnia, and Miraz dismisses her for that -- then at the end, Aslan and the girls find her, old and seemingly dying, but Aslan brings her new life, and she and Caspian are reunited. That is one of the most touching scenes in the book, and that was left out entirely. I hated their leaving that out.

Most of the changes I did not like. :(

I would say the basic story was the same while most of the plot was different.

The arrival of Aslan was different. He came much sooner in the book. The Pevensies and Trumpkin had already seen him before they got to the How. Peter, Edmund, and Trumpkin all came in the How just as the fight with the Hag, Werewolf, and Nikibrik was starting. In the movie, apart from appearing in Lucy's dream, he first appeared during the duel between Peter and Miraz.

In fact, in the book, the only battle Peter was a part of was the duel and thereafter. The movie he led the failed raid.

In the book, Miraz was king, having usurped the throne years ago. The movie kept him as Lord Regent until the raid, which actually legitimized his power.

MrBob

Another thing--Peter actually beats Miraz in the duel in the movie. He did not beat Miraz in the book. Their duel was interrupted by the Telmarine lords' treachery, so we do not know how the book duel would have ended.

Caspian's being so old, and also he looked stupid for not realizing his uncle would want him dead if he produced an heir -- a big boy his age should have figured that out for himself!

Me and my sister were watching it and doing MST3K on it(it's a show that makes fun of movies,what I mean by us doing it was that we were being cynical and making fun of it) and I noticed the look on his face when Cornelius was like, "Your aunt has just given birth...to a son."
And I say, "Oh tell me he already knows the process."
I always imagined them being sixteen,so yes I WOULD think he could figure that out for himself!

Another thing--Peter actually beats Miraz in the duel in the movie. He did not beat Miraz in the book. Their duel was interrupted by the Telmarine lords' treachery, so we do not know how the book duel would have ended.
Glenburne, you're wrong here. Peter killed Miraz in the book; then the Telmarines accused him of stabbing Miraz in the back while he was down.

I like the whole political intrigue stuff and the crowning of Miraz being added into the film.

I miss the night talks between Caspian and Cornelius on the tower, though. And the way they meet Aslan. But I'm glad the romp went - I don't like that part in the book.

I also regret that Peepiceek is not named in the film ... :mad:

Peeps

I was thinking about Caspian's age again. Andrew Adamson sought an actor close in age to William. But,William looks twelve,Ben doesn't. So it really didn't matter how old the person they picked to play Caspian was,he just had to LOOK young.
I also think Andrew made him immature on purpose. If he's taking a modern view on it,then the boys will all be stupid and immature as teens.
And I DON'T LIKE THAT APPROACH! Okay,the boys I'm around are idiots but they're dang funny to watch.
Also,I geuss it's good they picked Ben to play Caspian.
If they hadn't,then I wouldn't even exist on this forum!:)

Glenburne, you're wrong here. Peter killed Miraz in the book; then the Telmarines accused him of stabbing Miraz in the back while he was down.

Peeps

As I recall, Peter drew the first blood by pricking Miraz in the armpit. They then continued fighting, took a break (in which Peter confessed that Miraz was very tough and could win the duel) and commenced fighting again. Miraz tripped on a root and fell as they sparred, and Peter--being chivalrous--waited for Miraz to get back up. That was when Edmund yelled out his line about it not being a good time for chivalry. But Miraz didn't get back up fast enough and the Telmarine lords started crying out that it was treachery. Then the one of the Telmarine lords (Sopespian?) came through with the advancing Telmarine forces and stabbed Miraz in the back as he lay on the ground.

The book doesn't really say why Miraz didn't get back up after tripping, but since Peter was waiting for him to get up again, it doesn't seem like Peter could have killed him.

I think I've been writing here, there and everywhere my problems; here's just some of the 'main' ones for me:

- Peter and Caspian's tiffs? WHY. They became fast friends in the book!
- The constant boring battles ; leave that for actual action films! Isolating a lot of people with that dull theme.
- Susan and Caspian. Goodness gracious - why?! Why O Why O Why. Filling the 'love' theme in a film quota there, I guess, but seriously unnecessary; particularly as it is the Narnia story that it is. The end of the film was hideously cheesy with the kiss. The music was awful on top of that so it near killed the entire movie for me. My word, what were they thinking???

Glenburne, I concede the point in the face of your superior knowledge.

I had never understood that scene before. I had always read it as saying that when Miraz tripped he never got up again because he was dead (and I wondered how he could die so easily). I thought Sopespian had stabbed him after he was dead, ie. as a symbolic payback on Miraz. I had never realised that he had actually killed Miraz.

Either way, though, I think the film does it better. I have to say (and I never thought I would say it of any film, let alone a Narnia film) but I actually think the film is an improvement on the book, or at least that they are both good in their different ways.

Peeps

I just assumed that Sopespian stabbed hm in the back, causing him to fall, but it looked as if he just tripped. Glozelle then stabbed him in the back for his own vengence.

It never says why he never rose. Sopespain and Glozelle both accused Peter of treachery for stabbing Miraz in the back as he lay helpless on the ground. They could only do this if a little time passed, but unless he was knocked out by the fall, I can't see any other reason for him not getting up than Sopespian killing him.

MrBob

I suppose he must have been knocked out by the fall. I can't see any other explanation for him lying on his face.

Peeps

Okay so I have just rewatched Caspian and now that I have read the book I realized some of the differences. The thing is my memory is so bad I do not know all of them. Can anyone list any differences and whether they liked them or not? I will admit I loved the scene with Jadis. Though I hated how Caspian was so old in the movie.

As a couple people have said, the castle raid was an original scene. Also, that bit with Susan and the boy at the train station (as well as Peter's fight) was also original.

As for Ben Barnes playing Caspian, there was a passage in the book that said that Caspian was near Peter's age, which is why the casting people went with someone who was near William Moseley's age.

Also, Adamson thought that C.S. Lewis didn't really consider how it would feel for the Pevensies to be kids again after being adults for years, which is why they had Peter acting out more.

And I liked it that Peter and Caspian didn't really get a long that good in the movie.

I also liked that brief bit of romance between Susan and Caspian. There are some fanfiction writers that see it as Susan and Caspian are now "soul mates" just because they had an interest in each other, but I don't think of it like that.

Something else minor was that the train station was supposed to be a quiet country station, which acted as their layover before the boys took one train and the girls another train to their schools. There was no one to fight with. Virtually everything about the Pevensies in England was different.

"Also, Adamson thought that C.S. Lewis didn't really consider how it would feel for the Pevensies to be kids again after being adults for years, which is why they had Peter acting out more."

For that matter cflat, he also didn't really consider how it would be for the Pevensies to spend so much time in Narnia without getting a little homesick. But he does kind of comment on how the events of their lives in Narnia slowly came back to them after breathing the Narnian air. Conversely, that could explain how they could survive in England.

MrBob

Back