More Jadis Fic!

celestialhost

A dwarf's fond memories of the reign of Jadis.

I tried to make him sound like an elderly person recalling the day he met the Queen Mother.

We Loved Our Queen

My name is Nagrikin, and I'm a dwarf. A black dwarf, if you please. It's dwarfs like me that are the very backbone of Narnia. The salt of the earth, you might say.

Heard the news, haven't you? So the four kings and queens of Narnia have buggered off to who-knows-where. Are you really all that surprised? A right reliable lot they turned out to be!

You've heard that same story. You hear it all the time. "Jadis was a tyrant! Jadis was wicked! The White Witch made it so it was always winter and never Christmas!" All that bloody whingeing. You hear it all the time.

For sure, Jadis was a hard woman. She was tough. She didn't take no nonsense. But she knew how to run things! Her Majesty was a woman who knew how to keep things running smooth, no mistake.

Those four sons of Adam and daughters of Eve; I can't remember their names for the life of me; they were alright. They were fine as humans go, but what had they really done for us? The problem with the four kings and queens was they were too soft. With a land of stupid talking animals, you need people who can be tough and lay down the law. You can't expect talking beavers and talking rabbits to manage themselves. You have to come down sharp. Those four kings and queens could never do that. They never had the stomach to run the place properly. And now they've buggered off. A right useful lot they were!

We dwarfs remember Jadis. She was our queen; our dear beloved queen. She was tough, she was harsh, but we loved her all the more for it. Well most of us dwarfs. There were always a few silly dwarfs who wanted that silly talking lion to come and get rid of Her Majesty; but not too many of them. Some people think it was just black dwarfs who were faithful to the queen, but I knew plenty of red dwarfs in Her Majesty's service.

Her Majesty used to work us hard, but that's what us dwarfs were best at. Jadis had respect for us dwarfs. She knew how dumb all those talking animals were. She knew what a lazy bunch all those Fauns were. She knew Centaurs are drunkards and Nymphs are, well, Nymphs. Her Majesty knew us dwarfs were the most sensible lot in Narnia.

Her Majesty was so beautiful; oh that she was! All the dwarf women used to wish they were as beautiful as Jadis. Her lovely white skin! Those handsome white gowns she used to wear! She always used to be barefoot, you know. I used to think that was odd, as no dwarf would ever be without a sturdy pair of boots. But then Her Majesty never felt the cold. And cold it was in those days!

Before we were married, my wife Gritzy used to work in the queen's kitchens. She was once asked to bring Her Majesty a goblet of wine. Would you believe that? My own dear wife waited upon the queen! She never stops talking about it. She says "Did I tell you about the time I gave a goblet of wine to Her Majesty?" Of course, she'd told me many a time, but I'd always let her tell me again.

I was in Her Majesty's service myself. I used to forge chains for her. She always had lots of prisoners, so she needed lots of chains. All day I used to sit there, forging chains. Piece by piece, I made them. Good and hard; strong as any dwarf metal. It was humble work, but I was proud of the fact that I served my queen. I was brought up to work hard, see, and I never had any complaints about it. Not like these fauns and nymphs that have never done a days work in their lives.

I met the queen once, when her sleigh stopped by my workshop. Her Majesty actually spoke to me! I was so proud. I was over the moon. She asked me what I did for my living. I said, "I forge chains for Your Majesty." And she looked down at me, for she was ever so tall, and she said "We are pleased to accept your service." She said "We are pleased to accept your service!" I couldn't stop smiling for days after that. But it was a funny thing, you know. I felt like I had known Her Majesty all my life. Here I was meeting the greatest person in the world, and she seemed so familiar. It's an amazing thing.

But as I said, she was hard. She had to be cruel to be kind, or nothing would have ever got done. I once got asked to guard some of her prisoners. A werewolf and a couple of dwarf soldiers came to my workshop with some faun prisoners. I was ordered to chain them up forthwith. As they had some other rebels to catch, I then got asked to keep an eye on the prisoners.

I felt so sorry for the poor wretches! They were so cold, and so miserable looking. I know I shouldn't have done, but I gave them a bit of brandy from my flask to warm them up. I gave them a hunk of bread too. I know it was wrong. I know I was being soft-hearted, but I did feel so sorry for the poor freezing devils. I suppose Her Majesty would have been terribly angry with me if she had known about it.

Yes, I did my best to serve my queen. It's a **** shame she's gone. Narnia is no better off without her. Ask any dwarf. You can celebrate her defeat all you like, but us dwarfs know better. We loved our queen.

Last edited:
That was really good! It made me think of the way some Russians actually pine away nostalgically FOR THE SOVIET UNION, exerting the force of will for an intentional act of self-deception to MAKE themselves not remember how many dissidents were persecuted and even executed in the Soviet era. They'll say, "Crime got worse AFTER the Soviet Union broke up!" They can only say this by pretending that the MILLIONS of murders of innocent persons BY THE GOVERNMENT somehow weren't crimes.

CH, that was wonderful! Not only was it technically well written, with good construction and story flow, but you did a wonderful job of "getting inside" your subject. You managed to communicate beautifully how Nagrikin viewed Jadis and life under her rule. That ability to see things from different perspectives is, in my opinion, the center of good story writing. Furthermore, you managed to pull off a good narrative without any action - it was just your subject reminiscing to himself, without any crisis or resolution or any of the usual "necessary elements."

Well done, indeed!

Thanks a lot, people.

I'm terrible at writing stories with action and decent plot resolution. I find it much easier to write a piece of monologue like this.

An excellent piece of writing. Even many of those who have lived through 'real' tyrannies, such as Soviet Russia as mentioned by Copperfox, Nazi Germany, etc, often pine for the 'good old days', convenioently forgetting or whitewashing the dreadful things that such regimes did, and this is a prime example of this, as seen from the perspective of one of Jadis's followers. Well done!

Cursing the Stars

A new fic, with a little HP Lovecraft source thrown in!

Cursing the Stars

Jadis made her way up the stone staircase of the tower, stepping elegantly on her naked white feet. She stepped out onto the battlements and strode across the frosty stone walkway.

The wind howled and tore at Jadis' thin white dress. Despite her slender garments and bare feet, she did not feel the cold in the slightest. Her body was as cold as her frozen heart. It pleased her to walk across her battlements in the chill of the night.

Jadis stared out at the landscape of Narnia, a land locked in its eternal winter. To her west she saw the great mountain heights that formed the natural border of the land. To the east lay the vast forests of the Lantern Waste. All that she surveyed belonged to her; bound under her iron fist.

She stared up into the night sky. She knew the heavens could never be hers.

Jadis felt anger rise within her cold heart as she gazed at the heavens, tantalizing her with a realm that would be forever out of her reach. She was bound to this mortal realm. No matter how great her magic, she could never conquer all.

The evil queen hated the stars. As she looked up at them, she knew they were more than just lights in the sky. Each star was a beautiful humanoid being, a creature with a body, not a body of flesh and blood like hers, but a body of heavenly matter.

The stars were created in the full glory of the Emperor. Their glory was the fullest manifestation of all his greatness and beauty. In ways mortals could never comprehend, they upheld the order of the Emperor's creation. They were thrones and dominions, an organisation that brought harmony to the universe. To those who had ears to hear they sang songs that kept the rhyme and rhythm of creation in gear.

Jadis howled at the sight before her. The stars seemed to mock her. Before them she felt so small and insignificant, limited to her little dominion. She might be more beautiful than any mortal being, but before the stars, she felt every imperfection in her form brought to light. To Jadis it was the most hateful feeling she could know.

Yet for all the perfection that was arrayed before her, Jadis knew that some of the stars above had loved the darkness as she did. In the distant primordial past, before Narnia, before Charn and before the world of Adam, there had been a great rebellion. Many of the Celestial Ones, perhaps a third of them, had taken sides against their creator. As there was evil on earth, so had there was evil in heaven.

Some were minor principalities, such as Tash who held sway in the land of Calormen to the south. In the world of Adam there was Cthulu, lord of the depths, and Hastur the Unspeakable.

In distant cosmic realms, there were more powerful stars that had sided against the Emperor. There was insane Azathoth, dancing madly to his twisted music, Nylarthotep, the crawling chaos with a thousand faces, Shub-Niggurath, and Yog-Sothoth, the lord of decay. The greatest of all these rebels was the one who had been so bright in his glory that they had called him Light-Bearer. It was he that had been the very guardian of the Emperor's throne until he joined with the Unlight.

Jadis turned away from the bleak horizon and returned to her chambers. She smiled at the thought that even in the heavens there were those who cursed the light as she did.

You have eloquently captured the self-pity and unjustified resentment which must be what fallen angels feel. I'll bet you have at some time read Mr. Lewis' comments on Paradise Lost, where he proves that John Milton DID NOT regard Satan as in ANY way the "hero."

Of course, no matter what hardcore Lovecraft fans want to believe, Aslan can smash Cthulhu like a bug.

Thanks, Copperfox!

I'm afraid I don't think I have read Lewis on Paradise Lost. Those who sympathize with Satan in Paradise Lost show their own muddled up priorities.

Lovers of Darkness

There has been a lot of speculation about the identity of the Lady of the Green Kirtle in The Silver Chair. I quite like the suggestion that she is Jadis' daughter, but that does raise the question of who the father is. This is my explanation.

Lovers of Darkness

Tash rose up out of Jadis' bed and pulled on a robe.

In his human form he looked like a handsome tarkaan of Calormen, with dark skin and a fine black beard. In Calormen itself, he had always appeared as a monstrous bird-like creature, like a vulture, but with a glorious plumage like a peacock. It was a necessary guise to terrify the superstitious Calormenes. The human appearance he had taken on was actually closer to his glorious celestial form, created in the image of the Emperor.

Jadis remained in the bed. The evil queen looked unusually calm and still. It was as though she was intoxicated by the pleasure he had given her. Over the last two weeks, the queen and the god had spent every night in passionate lovemaking.

Tash smiled at the thought of what a refreshing change his visit had been for Jadis. Narnia did not offer the queen much choice for lovers. Dwarfs, fauns and marshwiggles hardly had much appeal. Apparently Jadis had kept a long string of lovers when she had ruled the dead world of Charn, as well as her unfortunate husband. A woman with her carnal appetite could hardly be satisfied in this frozen wilderness.

Tash was a star, created in the divine likeness and poses sing the full glory of the emperor. Yet for all that, he was the god of Calormen and reflected all its sensuality and worldliness. He had slept with many mortal women, but Jadis was different. With her Jinn ancestry, she was much more like a star than a daughter of Eve.

Tash looked out of the window and watched the howling blizzard outside the castle. Narnia was such a grim place. The Calormen god wondered how anybody, mortal or celestial could enjoy such a place. The room was deathly cold and no fire had been lit. This did not bother the two lovers; Tash had been a star, dwelling in the blackness of space and Jadis' body was as cold as her frozen heart.

The queen finally spoke. "Will you return to bed, my love?" she asked.

"No, Jadis. I think it's time for me to return to Calormen," Tash replied. "If I stay to long, the Calormnes might start getting funny ideas. They might neglect my temples. It's a lot of responsibility being a god, you know."

Jadis seemed alarmed and shot up out of bed. The queen did not bother to put on any clothes; modesty was an alien notion to her.

"My love, you cannot leave so soon!" she said, pressing towards him. "Think what the two of us can achieve together. We are so alike, so firm in our desire for power over all life. Will you not stay with me, Tash?"

Tash looked at the naked white flesh before him. Jadis was fun, but now she was clearly starting to get worrying ideas.

The sorceress continued. "Can you not see that the two of us belong together? Imagine what we can achieve, ruling side by side; with the might of Calormen combined with my dark magic, the entire world would fall before us. We could rule this whole world, as man and woman, husband and wife, king and queen!"

Tash knew this would happen. The stupid woman was about to overreach herself. The hunger for power was driving her crazy. She had no idea of her own limits.

"You murdered your last husband," Tash reminded her.

"He was just a pathetic mortal. You are one of the celestial host. You are a fitting consort for me, and I can be a fitting queen for you," she replied.

"You know that would never work, Jadis," replied Tash. "That cursed lion would never allow us to unite that way. I'm taking a big enough risk coming here. If I stay any longer, I'll bring his wrath down on both of us."

It was time to become a bird again and fly!

As Tash stepped out of the bedchamber and headed down the hallway, the still-naked queen ran after him.

"Do you know that you have given me a child?" cried Jadis.

Tash turned around in surprise.

"I carry a daughter. I sense her presence in my womb. Even now she is strong in magic. The blood of the stars will flow in her veins. Imagine what power she shall wield!"

Tash laughed. The fallen star had seen enough harems in Calormen to know just how well mother and daughter were likely to get on. The last thing he wanted was to get caught in the middle of a power struggle between two powerful women. Could a god never get a quiet life?

"I'm sure I won't forget her birthdays," said Tash, still laughing. He shifted his form into the terrifying vulture-like avatar.

"You cannot leave me, Tash!" cried Jadis.

"I'm a god, I do as I please!" said Tash as he rushed away.

Family of Darkness

This follows on from Lovers of Darkness, in which I introduced the idea of Jadis and Tash as parents of the Lady of the Green Kirtle.

We don't know the Green Lady's name, but I opted for Verdantia for obvious reasons.

Family of Darkness

In the grand dining hall of the castle, Jadis sat at the breakfast table with her daughter, Verdantia.

Verdantia was a pretty girl of 15. She had shimmering green eyes and rich brown hair that fell down her back. She wore a green dress. She made quite a contrast to her mother with her white skin, black hair and white dress. Yet both mother and daughter had a cold, hard expression on their faces.

It was in fact Verdantia's 15th birthday and the green-eyed girl was opening up the many presents her mother had given her. What should have been a joyful occasion was marred by tension. With every birthday that had come before, Verdantia had grown in her resentment of her mother. The girl was impatient to learn new magic and to gain new powers. She was convinced that her mother knew much that she had declined to share. In turn, Jadis feared her daughter. The green-eyed girl was the daughter of a star. Potentially, Verdantia could exceed her mother enormously in power and magic.

Verdantia opened another present.

"A mandolin!" she exclaimed. Her voice was rich and melodic.

"You may find that this is the greatest of my gifts to you, dear," said Jadis.

"You want me to study music, Mother?" said Verdantia. "I crave to learn new skills in the sorcerous arts. I have no interest in music."

"Nor have I, my child," replied Jadis. "Yet this is a magical instrument. You will find that playing it enables you to bend the will of others and gives you power over their minds."

"I shall practice it on the servants," declared Verdantia.

At that moment, something began to stir in the air of the room. A strange smoke began to take shape and form a terrible apparition.

It was shaped like a man, but much taller. It had four arms ending in sharp talons. It looked a little like a vulture, but had a brilliant and colourful plumage like a peacock. It was the evil Tash, god of Calormen.

Tash shifted his form and took on a new shape as a handsome Calormene lord with a long black beard, dressed in a dark blue robe.

Verdantia stared at the strange figure.

"What dark thing are you?" cried the girl.

"I am your father!" declared Tash. "Happy birthday, Verdantia!"

Jadis rose up from her seat and padded towards Tash on her large bare feet. When she came close to the god, she slapped him hard in the face.

"Ouch!" shrieked Tash. "What did you that for, Jadis?"

"You promised to remember her birthdays!"

"Well I remembered this time!" protested Tash.

"Fourteen years and we don't hear a word from you. Not once did you bother to get involved in your daughter's life and now you drift in here and try to act like this your perfect little family," said Jadis angrily.

"Look, it's a hectic life being a god, you know. Always having to do signs and wonders to keep the Calormenes terrified and superstitious. I don't get much time to slack off. Besides, I do have other daughters," said Tash.

"So you remember the daughters of the human whores you go to bed with do you?" said Jadis with a glare.

Tash gulped. He knew whatever he said would be taken down and used as evidence against him.

"I'm not saying that..."

"Well what are you saying then?" asked Jadis, placing her white hands on her hips.

Verdantia interrupted this exchange.

"So have you brought me a birthday gift then, father?"

"Birthday gift? Well... Um.." Tash began to mumble.

"So you forget to bring a gift as well?" sneered Jadis.

"I haven't brought you a gift, as such," said Tash. "But I have brought you a trick you can learn."

This pricked Verdantia's interest. The girl was eager to learn new magic. She moved towards her father on her dainty feet, which were bare, like her mother's.

"You are half a star," said Tash. "You should have many of the powers of the celestial host. You saw me arrive in my bird-form. Do you realise that you can also transform your shape?"

"Can I really, father?"

"Of course. You just relax and concentrate and it should come naturally," he replied.

"Can I take any shape?" asked the green-eyed girl.

"Yes, with a bit of effort, but you will find that there is a particular form that comes naturally to you."

Verdantia closed her eyes and concentrated very hard. Nothing seemed to happen at first. Then her body seemed to become narrower, her skin took on a greenish colour and became hard and scaly.

Within minutes, the pretty girl in the green dress had morphed into a monstrous green snake.

"Very impressive," said Jadis politely. The evil queen was horrified to see the transformation. If her daughter could do something like that, she knew it would not be long before she became a serious threat.

"That's my daughter!" said Tash proudly.

When Verdantia had changed back to her normal form, she gave her father a kiss on the cheek. This new ability seemed much better than anything her mother had taught her.

Tash turned back to Jadis.

"Feel like remembering the old times again, Jadis, my dear?" he said with a wink.

Jadis gave him a very dirty look that would have scared a dragon.

Tash sighed.

"Right, well I had better get back to Calormen, then. I don't want to bring the wrath of Aslan down on us!"

"If you're going to mention that name again, the sooner you're gone!" said Jadis.

Sleeping Princess Jadis

I wrote this for a contest on DeviantArt. The contest was for artworks inspired by one of Grimm's Fairy Tales.

It would have been easy to make Jadis an evil stepmother character, but I wanted her as a fairy tale protagonist. Sleeping Beauty seemed to fit my purpose best.

Sleeping Princess Jadis

Once upon a time, in another world, there was a princess who lived in the great city of Charn. Like many princesses, she was very beautiful and many princes and lords hoped that they might one day marry her.

Many other princesses are kind, gracious and gentle. Unfortunately, Jadis was nothing of the sort. She was vain, proud, selfish and willful. If her maidservants displeased her over a trifle, she would have them beaten and she enjoyed watching. Jadis also had a younger sister who was almost as bad as she was. They used to fight constantly. As Jadis was older, bigger and stronger, she would always win and would leave her little sister bruised and tearful.

It is not a surprise that Jadis was such a wicked girl, as her parents were just as evil. Her mother was a lazy pleasure-seeker and her father was a cruel tyrant. As emperor of Charn, he ruled the surrounding lands with an iron fist. No other city was strong enough to defend itself against the might of Charn.

Now the people of Charn were not sons and daughters of Adam like you and I. They were partially descended from the Jinn, terrifying fire-spirits, and partially from the giants, the children of Lilith. In those days there were still true, pure-blooded Jinn living in the land. They took a keen interest in the affairs of men and wielded fearful magic. Some of the Jinn had a certain amount of knowledge about the future. There was one Jinn who gave a terrible prophecy:

"When Jadis grows up and becomes queen, she shall be the most evil tyrant this world has known. She will become powerful in her sorcery and will bring death to all."

On hearing this, the Jinn became very fearful. One of them became so fearful that he decided to put an end to Jadis before the prophecy could be fulfilled. He laid a curse upon the young princess and she took terribly ill.

It seemed certain that Jadis would die from this sickness and her parents wept and wailed at the evil fate. All of the palace was in mourning except for Jadis' sister who was not terribly upset.

Yet another Jinn appeared in the palace and came before the court. She apologised for the actions of her brother.

"The magic of my people is strong," the Jinn explained. "I cannot undo this curse, but I can change its effect. She will not die, but she shall fall asleep and not wake for an hundred years."

In her sickbed, Jadis began to stop sweating and shaking and became calm. She fell into a deep sleep and looked more peaceful than she had ever looked before.

"Do not be sad that your daughter sleeps," continued the Jinn. "You too shall sleep and with you, the whole city of Charn." At that very moment, the emperor and his empress fell asleep in their thrones. The whole palace fell asleep, from the ministers of court to the tiny spider in its web. The marketplaces became silent, the slaves ceased to groan, and the soldiers ceased to march. The city of Charn had gone into slumber.

So that none might come and molest the sleepers, the Jinn surrounded the city with a forest of trees and thornbushes. For an hundred years, nothing was heard or seen of the city. Some said that the Jinn had become angry and destroyed the city, some said that a plague had descended upon it, others said the emperor had cut off the heads of all his subjects.

The surrounding cities were glad to hear no more of Charn. There were no more armies to terrorize them or tax collectors to take their gold. For the first time in history, they were at peace and free from the harsh rule of Charn.

Few ever tried to enter Charn. Most people were too fearful of the stories of plague or angry Jinn and stayed away. A few dared to enter, but gave up when they encountered the tangle of thorns that barred the way.

Yet an hundred years after Jadis fell into her sleep, a handsome prince came from the city of Bramandin. He paid no heed to the idle tales and believed the city must contain something wonderful. He refused to be deterred by the tangled vegetation surrounding Charn. He hacked and cut his way into the city. It took him several days and by the time he was through, his sword was almost blunt.

In wonder, the prince beheld the streets full of sleeping men and women. He walked through the palace gates past slumbering guardsmen. He walked past countless sleeping servants as he wandered in amazement through the many rooms of the palace.

Eventually, he came to the princess' bedchamber. In a massive bed, he saw the most beautiful girl he had ever set eyes on, lying in blissful rest and clad in a nightgown of the finest silk. He could not restrain himself and kissed the smooth lips of the girl.

As the prince's lips touched the princess, the curse was broken and the young woman awoke.

Jadis shot up from the bed with a start, drawing herself up, she looked at the prince who had restored her.

"So, a noble and bold prince has come to claim me," said Jadis. She looked at him coolly. "No doubt you shall give me strong and mighty sons."

"My heart belongs to you," cried the prince.

"How long have I slept?" asked Jadis.

"Nothing has been heard from Charn for an hundred years," replied the prince.

"What? The empire will be in ruins! No taxes will have been collected! No tribute will have been claimed! We are undone!" she cried.

Jadis turned to her awakening maidservants and began kicking them with her bare feet. She shouted and screamed orders at them.

"Brizidi, go to my father! Make sure he is awake! Tell him to raise the armies! The world cannot be allowed to forget the might of Charn! Revidia, fetch me jewels and my finest clothes! I cannot remain in my night clothes! Naztura, bring me some wine! I thirst after my sleep!"

Watching the young woman bark her orders and the maidservants scurry off to their various orders, the handsome prince began to wonder what he had just awakened.

Jadis turned back to the prince. She looked at him with lust in her eyes, for I am afraid to say she was a sinful girl and not so innocent as a princess should be.

"Now, seeing as I am still in my bedchamber, you can prove to me that you are truly worthy to be my consort," said Jadis, beckoning the young man to her side.

The young prince did become Jadis' husband, but he certainly did not live happily ever after. They had no children and eventually Jadis grew tired of him and had him murdered. Things did not end happily for Jadis' sister either. After she became queen, Jadis had her exiled. She rose up in rebellion and almost won the day, but Jadis fulfilled the prophecy of the Jinn and brought death to the whole world. After that, Jadis returned to her enchanted sleep, though that is a story for another day.

Jadis in Maras-Dantia

A Chronicles of Narnia/ Orcs First Blood crossover. I wrote this a while ago.

This was inspired by a thread on a Sci-Fi forum which debated whether Jadis or Jennesta would win if they ever faced each other. Here Jadis is presented as the lesser of two evils for this dwarf.

The influence of the Chronicles of Narnia is very apparent in Stan Nicholls' novels.

Jadis in Maras-Dantia

Grundip the dwarf climbed on to the battlements of Jadis' castle, clattering on his booted feet. He looked out warily over the valley; the prospect of an aerial attack by Jennesta's dragons loomed heavily on his mind.

He gazed out the icy horizon. The valley was covered in winter snow, but to the north the great glacier edged ever southwards. It seemed like the ice was advancing faster now that Jadis had come to Maras-Dantia and involved herself in the deadly struggle. He could only hope that a victory for Jadis would bring an end to the reckless exploitation of Maras-Dantia's magic by humans.

Nobody knew exactly how the witch had come to Maras-Dantia. Apparently she had come from some world called Charn. There were rumours of devices that could enable one to travel from world to world, but Grundip had never seen such a thing. Nobody could dispute that Jadis had immense magical power. She was certainly a more powerful sorceress than Jennesta. The rumours said Jadis had destroyed every living thing in her own world using her deadly magic. When somebody had that kind of power, it was better to be on her side than against her. At least, Grundip thought so.

Jadis' coming had changed everything. Before her arrival, Jennesta and her followers of the Manifold Path had been locked in deadly struggle against the followers of the Unifold Path. The elder races of Maras-Dantia had been content to serve Jennesta as the lesser of two evils. Jennesta might be half human and treat elder races as slaves, but she was a good deal better than the crusading Uni scum.

Then Jadis showed up and called on the elder races to overthrow the human yolk. Orcs, dwarves, elves, goblins and so many other folk had been delighted to join the cause of the newcomer. She offered them a hope that Jennesta and her Manis could never promise.

It was strange that Jadis looked so human. She was remarkably tall, but in every other respect she looked more human than the half-Nyadd Jennesta. Yet she had insisted that she had not a drop of human blood, and better than that, she professed the desire to rid Maras-Dantia of humans completely. Jadis had even allowed the orcs to taste a little of her blood to prove she was not human. The orcs had confirmed that indeed, her blood was stranger than anything they had ever tasted.

This third force had really got the humans scared. The Manis and the Unis had united. That had made the job much harder for Jadis and her anti-humans. The Unis had always been used to being outnumbered and had relied heavily on their superior equipment and tactics. Allied with Jennesta's large, but depleted forces made them a dangerous prospect.

Jadis might be a powerful sorceress, but she had a weak grasp of tactics. She was an hopeless military commander. She had suffered some appalling defeats at first. Thankfully, she was starting to listen to her officers. It was a good thing much of Jennesta's high command had deserted her and gone over to Jadis. They were experienced and knew all of their old mistress' tricks. He himself had once been a senior officer under Jennesta.

Grundip remembered well his days serving under Jennesta. All of his fellow officers had lived in constant fear of her wrath. Jadis was not much different. She had a savage temper and little tolerance for failure. To fall foul of Jadis' wrath meant certain death. The big difference was that Jennesta had all sorts of clever ways of creating slow, agonising deaths. She was an expert at torture. Jadis just waved her wand at you and turned you into stone. Grundip had no idea how it felt to be turned into stone, but it looked like a nice, clean death to him. He was happier to face an angry Jadis than an angry Jennesta any day.

Jadis seemed to like dwarfs too for some reason. He, along with many other dwarfs, had been made generals. Perhaps she thought they were more reliable than elves or smarter than orcs. Or perhaps it was their hard-working stoic nature that she liked. Whatever the case, she had a good deal more respect for his people than Jennesta.

Grundip saw no dragons in the sky, but if they came, he was ready to fight them. He knew he had made the right choice. He knew it was better to die with Jadis than to slave under human tyrants like Jennesta.

The Queen from Beyond

A Chronicles of Narnia/ World of Warcraft crossover

This is actually the first Narnia fanfic I wrote.

I thought it would be fun to have two fantasy femme fatales battle it out, but I ended up getting a lot of criticism from WoW geeks, who (probably correctly) argued that Azshara is more powerful than Jadis.

The Queen from Beyond

The Highborne Night Elves concentrated on the magical energy of the Well of Eternity. With their combined power they had opened portal to worlds beyond Azeroth. The portal crackled and seethed with green fire.

Queen Azshara, Daughter of a Thousand Moons and Flower of Life watched the efforts of the Highborne. She could sense the presence of a being of great power from beyond the portal. This being could give her the strength to cleanse the world of decay and imperfection, to make it her heavenly realm. When this great god appeared she would offer himself to him, to be his queen, wife and consort. She could only imagine the glories that she would enjoy when the god appeared.

As the magical energies increased in intensity, a dark shaped began to form within the portal. It was a figure, a tall person. The great being from beyond had come to Azshara.

Azshara boldly approached the figure leaving the portal, her anklets tinkling as she moved daintily on her bare feet.

The being was clearly not a Night Elf. Its skin was coloured like a peach. Its features were heavy and slightly square, with a larger nose than a typical elf and round eyes. The ears were especially odd, they were round and pathetically small. The being was much taller than a Night Elf and walked with a pride that conveyed only royalty.

Despite it's alien appearance, the being was unmistakably female. It had an ample bosom and despite her massive height was slender in form. Her expression was cold and haughty. She wore a long red gown that fell to her ankles, but left her shoulders and arms bare. The woman's large feet were also naked. On her head she wore an enormous crown made up of nine wicked spikes. She wore a star-shaped medallion about her neck, as well as a good deal of gold jewllery on her arms and shapely ankles.

A woman! Azshara felt crushed by disappointment. She had been hoping to meet a great and noble god whose power was reflected in his handsome form. She could hardly marry a goddess!

"Such power!" cried the strange woman. Her voice was deep and cool. "This world is filled with magic. I am become so much stronger!"

As disappointed as Azshara was with her guest from worlds beyond she at once recognised that this was indeed a being with great power. This woman was not to be trifled with.

"I am the Empress Jadis of Charn," said the woman. "I have come from a dead world, destroyed by magic. This world is like to my taste, what is it called?"

"You have come to the city of Zin-Azshari, in the land of Kalimdor. This is the world of Azeroth," explained Azshara coolly.

"Why do you not kneel in my presence?" asked the Empress Jadis.

Azshara flushed with anger. "I am Azshara, Queen of the Kalidorei, the Cherished Heart of the People."

"Queen? In that skimpy dress I took you to be a whore," laughed Jadis.

Azshara had never been insulted in her life. Nobody had ever spoken to her in such a way. She raised her arm high and attempted to slap this insolent creature from another world.

Jadis at once grabbed Azshara's hand and flung the Night Elf to the ground. The Highborne rushed to protect their beloved queen. Jadis waved her hand and spoke some mysterious word.

Azshara looked with horror as the Night Elves were transformed from living flesh into grey stone. Filling with rage she dived at Jadis attacking her with her nails. The huge woman was too strong and once again knocked the Night Elf queen to the ground with a heavy blow. Before Azshara could rise, Jadis kicked her with her bare foot.

"Foolish pointy-ear! You are no match for me in either strength or magic. You are queen no longer," said Jadis. "Since my world is dead, I shall be queen of this world. I shall take its magic and make its cities and lands strong and glorious. I shall need slaves. You, Azshara, shall be my chosen handmaiden. You shall serve me in my chambers and have the privilege of warming my bed."

Azshara, Daughter of the Moon, wept with horror and despair at what she had brought into her world.

Oops! Excellent account which clearly illustrates why it's not usually a good idea to summon powerful beings! You may end up biting off a great deal more than you can chew!
Is this the end, or is there more to come (I hope so!)? I assume this is taking place sometime after Jadis used the Deplorable Word, but before Digory and Polly visit that world?

Thanks!

I did a second part which I will post.

As is the nature of crossovers, this is alternate universe. I have not bothered trying to explain how Jadis woke up or how she ended up being summoned by Azshara. This is just silly fun.

Slave of Jadis

The sequel to The Queen from Beyond. This World of Warcraft/ Narnia crossover is just camp silliness.

Slave of Jadis

Azshara had just finished giving Jadis her daily foot massage.

"Is there anything else you require, your Imperial Majesty?" she asked, hating herself for demeaning herself this way.

"I am thirsty, my handmaiden. Go to the wine cellars and fetch me a fresh bottle of wine," commanded Jadis. Her voice was deep and cold.

Azshara was glad to get away from the presence of the monstrous woman. She skipped out of the throne room, her bare feet slapping on the cool marble floor.

How could she have descended so far? Azshara had been the queen of the Night Elves, the Cherished Heart of the People. They had called her the Light of Lights. Now she was just a handmaiden, a slave to the new empress of Kalimdor, Jadis of Charn.

It had been her own folly that had brought this upon her. Azshara had tried to summon a powerful god to the world of Azeroth. She had dreamed of marrying this god. Instead she had summoned this terrible female, Jadis, to her world.

As she pattered down the corridors of the palace that had once been hers, she passed many Night Elf servants going about their business. Many of them had been nobles, the members of her court. She had been their ruler, their glory and delight. Now she was their equal in servitude to Jadis. Almost their equal. Unlike them, Azshara had the privilege of serving Jadis in her bedchamber and sharing the empress' bed.

She also passed several Dwarves. The Kaldorei had always despised the Dwarves as coarse and shallow, but Jadis seemed to have a fondness for the creatures. Dwarves loved mining and industry; Jadis valued the fruits of these things. Since Jadis had taken over, it seemed like there were more Dwarves than Night Elves in Zhin-Azshari. That was partially because so many Night Elves had been rounded up and placed in work gangs or executed for failure to obey the new empress.

There had been many rebellions across Kalimdor, but Jadis had shown utter savagery in the way she dealt with them. Jadis had raised up powerful armies, made up of Dwarves, Tauren, Goblins and the few Night Elves who rallied to her side. Jadis had also used her magic to twist some of the native beasts of Kalimdor, creating foul monstrosities. Against such forces, resistance had been futile. It would not be long before the entire world of Azeroth would fall before her might.

Azshara herself had once tried to fight against slavery to Jadis. This had been useless. Jadis was not only bigger and more physically strong, but her magic was even more powerful than her own or at least it once in this world. Jadis was somehow able to absorb the magic of Azeroth and add it to her own. She was a creature that sucked and consumed.

Jadis' coming had not just brought misery to Azshara and her people, but the empress was destroying the very land of Kalimdor itself. The ancient forests were being torn down and mines were tearing at the earth. Jadis never seemed to tire of raising up cities and constructing vast industries, worked by Dwarves, Goblins and Night Elf slaves. Jadis was determined to melt down the world and reforge it in her own image.

Azshara hated her new mistress, yet there was something about her that she could not help but admire. Jadis had all the power that Azshara had once longed for. There was a will and purpose that could compare to none among the Kaldorei except herself. Jadis' features were strange and alien, but Azshara could not deny her beauty. There was something about Jadis that caused a deep attraction in her.

After Azshara poured a glass of wine for Jadis, the empress kissed the Night Elf. Her lips were cold, yet there was a sense of magic energy in the touch. "Do rub my feet again, Azshara," Jadis commanded.

"As you wish, your Imperial Majesty," sighed Azshara.

Back