Narnia translations

Alices

I know there are a lot of people from different countries and I'm just curious that have they translated the names of the books and movies into someting else or is it just a direct translate into your language?

Like in here The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is translated into Caspian's Journey to the World's Ending which kinda makes sense but Voyage of the Dawn Trader just sounds a lot of better!

Oh and I hope I posted this thread in the right place..

I'm not fluent in Spanish, but I read it tolerably well. The titles translate pretty closely, though a literal translation is a bit different just because Spanish lacks possessive nouns (which I like -- it sounds cool).
~El León, la Bruja y el Ropero (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe)
~El Príncipe Caspian (The Prince Caspian)
~La Travesía del Viajero del Alba (The Crossing of the Traveler of the Dawn)
~La Silla de Plata (The Chair of Silver)
~El Caballo y el Muchacho (The Horse and the Boy)
~El Sobrino del Mago (The Nephew of the Magician)
~La Última Batalla (The Last Battle)

I'm curious to know why they chose Crossing for VDT and THE Boy for HHB.

The Russian version of the whole series that I have read is pretty good, though having some completely unnecessary unnecessary revisions of the content. For instance, in "The Magician's Nephew," the cab-horse who becomes Narnia's first winged horse gets changed from a stallion to a mare.

Chinese titles

I have only a few of the Chronicles in Chinese, and the books are translated by 2 different people (as you can tell by the two different ways Narnia is written), but here are the titles I have:
LWW = The Magic Wardrobe [Narnia = Na ni ya]

PC = Prince Caspian (= Kai si ping) [Narnia = Na li ya]
HHB = Horse and Child [Narnia = Na li ya]
SC = Silver Chair [Narnia = Na li ya]
LB = Last Battle [Narnia = Na li ya]

I've read all the books in both English and Norwegian. English was the last one I read so I can't remember any titles besides:

"Løven, heksa og Klesskapet" = LWW
"Hesten og hans gutt" = THAHB

Oh, are those translations from word to word translations or do they have different meanings than the originals?

I mean like of course they translate the names into every countries own languages, but in here, some of the titles have different meanings than the originals.

If anyone even undesrstands what I mean :D I guess I'm being complicated

What I'm curious about is what do they call Aslan in Turkish translations? ("Aslan" is actually turkish for "lion".) Seems like it loses some of its meaning...

Translated into Ancient Babylonian and back...by a very reliable source.

Big Kitty, Bad Natty, Locked Closet
Caspian the Worried
Long Trip, Small Ship
Brag Nag and Rag Tag
Shiny Recliner
The Wizard's Brother's Kid
It Was That Way When I Got Here

Back