New V Old

thelawtman

Ok well what does you think will happenen with the BBC version now that they are making Narnaia newer and better? Personally I never liked the BBC version too cheesy for me but thats my opnion.

Well, when I was really young, (I didn't know much about movies) I really liked the BBC. I saw the movies before I read the books. Of course now I see them as a little cheesy, and I'm sure most people see them as slightly worse than I do. Personally, I think that the only people who like them right now will continue to like them. I don't think it will hurt the BBC's too much because the BBC's won't be getting any worse. I'm guessing that people will just be adding to their collections.

I really liked the BBC one. The White Witch on there was more creepy than Tilda. It's the eyes I think that got me. Though when I was in 5th grade she scared me alot. lol

I'm probably going to be the odd man out here, but I actually think the BBC version is better than this newer version in some instances like when Aslan's name is mentioned the first time, the children don't seem in awe like they do in the first film. I feel like the christian elements were a bit down-played and that kind of disappointed me. I'm not saying it was a bad film, it just didn't live up to the high expectations I had for it.

And I'm also probably the only one that didn't like the choral music...

The BBC version just felt more faithful to me. Sure it was cheesy and the beavers were really actors in costume, but it was and always will be magical to me.

Rachel

I personally like the newer version better. However, you have to understand that the BBC Narnia is really more of a play than a movie. It had a fairly low budget and not much time to make, but still for what they had to work with I think that it was well done. The newer version is more visually appealing with all of the nice CG effects, and I think that some of the scenes and lines that were added in fit well with the movie. Lewis never intended for his novels to be made into movies, so some adaptation is needed to make them appealing on the big screen. The literal BBC adaptation is good, however after viewing the new version I have to admit that perhaps a literal adaptation is not necessarily the best way to go.

When I see a film based on a book, I prefer a literally interpretation of it...out of repect for the author. I realize that certain things cannot occur in the film it is too visually challenging to attempt, but when they leave out specific lines of dialouge that develop the characters, that upsets me.

I'm not entirely purist though. A lot of people get upset when they see a blond Susan but the hair color doesn't bother me.

Rachel

Ok I just watched the old one and would like to change my vote. LOL I'm sorry but the old one is so corny. The White witch acts like she is trying to hard to be evil. I could not help to laugh at the dramatic end for the Witch.

I used to say I loved that one more than Tilda's but Tilda has now my vote. HA HA

I like the BBC version when I want my Narnia live action fix, but I have to admit that as soon as the movie is no longer seen on the big screen and released on DVD, than that version will be put away and the new version will be played every day. ;) I love the new version, even the added scenes are well done. That scene with Tumnus in prison, and when the witch tells him that Edmund betrayed him, I almost cried. I know that wasn't in the book, but man, was it touching.

Narnian_Lady said:
...I actually think the BBC version is better than this newer version in some instances like when Aslan's name is mentioned the first time, the children don't seem in awe like they do in the first film. I feel like the christian elements were a bit down-played and that kind of disappointed me. I'm not saying it was a bad film, it just didn't live up to the high expectations I had for it.

The BBC version just felt more faithful to me. Sure it was cheesy and the beavers were really actors in costume, but it was and always will be magical to me.
I prefer the BBC version also, there was more depth, and I've grown up watching them. They feel much more magical to me than the new version because Aslan was so much more developed, and even though he looked like a stuffed animal, I love him far more than the new Aslan.

The old Aslan loves the children a lot more deeply, and you see how deeply the children love him. Lucy and Susan feel compelled to follow him out of love and fear rather than then the fact that they can't sleep.

The visual effects in the new movie are stunning, but the story is so much more than that. THe BBC was extremely cheesy, and the casdting may not have been the best, but its more meaningful. The battle was the main part of the new movie, while the ressurection was the core of the BBC.

Well I still like it too. I just like Tilda better as the White Witch.

Though every time I see the turkish Delight scene(the old one) I can't help laughing so hard. The way she freaks out and yells "no" before leaving. I was laughing so hard. Oh also the part where she runs from Aslan Classic! I was disoppointed she did not run in the new one.

I agree, WWM. I liked how Jadis "picked up her skirts and fairly ran for her life," as I believe it goes. I confess that the roar they gave Aslan in the new movie is beautiful, just the way I would envision it! I did like how Tilda sat down in her chair, but I am apt to believe the White Witch would very much have run for her life.

You know, in my opinion, The BBC version is nearer to the books. But it is soooo corny. Lucy in that too-tight cardigan. Those horrific beavers. :eek:

I thought VDT was the best of the BBC movies.

I really like the LWW though, I'd rather laugh at the corniness and enjoy it because its so true to the books and magical, then look at the cool special and acting in the new version.

I agree with you Son of Aslan, the VDT was the most well made of the BBC movies, followed closley by SC. Still, they all had about the same amount of corniness. Altough you're right a fat Lucy, and freaky beavers weren't the best...not horrific though, Lucy was far more scary in these movies than them.

borntofly said:
Yeah Curumo, she wasn't terrified of Aslan, and that messed with her character a bit. I liked how her crown melted.

I didn't notice her crown melted! Aww, I'll have to look for that next time.

I liked the White Witch better in this one. I like how she's not terrified of Aslan, and can actually fight, where as in the BBC version, she just... runs away.

Well Raven, in the book she does run away from Aslan after she demands Edmund's blood. She was supoosed to be terrified of him, but they left out some very important dialogue with the beavers.

She does fight in the BBC version, but in the new version she fights a lot better, and with the exception of the loss of her fear of Aslan, she is MUCH better than the BBC witch. THe BBC witch is like some Shakspearian actress :)

borntofly said:
Well Raven, in the book she does run away from Aslan after she demands Edmund's blood. She was supoosed to be terrified of him, but they left out some very important dialogue with the beavers.

She does fight in the BBC version, but in the new version she fights a lot better, and with the exception of the loss of her fear of Aslan, she is MUCH better than the BBC witch. THe BBC witch is like some Shakspearian actress :)

I know she runs away, and I've read the book countless times, but I like how she fights fiercely in this newer version. She actually makes me believe she wants to rule, and will work hard for it.

AND I TOTALLY AGREE with the Shakespearian comment!

I absolutely adored Kellerman's performance in the BBC films, portraying the WW. But I agree: as I have mentioned in the past, Swinton makes the perfect WW. She is beautiful, intelligent, and cares about only one thing: herself. Yes, I have always imagined Jadis as being a warrior-queen, because she spoke (to me it seemed almost with pride) about the rivers of Charn running red with the blood of the slain. She delighted in war, until things did not go her way: then she drew herself to drastic measures.

Nevertheless, she recognized those who were far more powerful than her (I think she will remember the moment in time when she threw a lamppost at a huge Lion, which struck him between the eyes and merely bounced off as if it never even happened). In the end, during the film, you could see her goal became obvious: she knew Aslan had returned, and that the tide of war had turned against her, so she sought to destroy the prophecy, by eliminating Peter. She was so close, but then we know what happens.

I think one of my most favorite scenes in the movie was when the camera pans in on Jadis' face, at the very end. She has this blank, cold expression on her face that says "I'm toast." I love it!

I also notice in the BBC one where they had said Jadis wrong. They said it Jar-dus or something like that. Like most had thought how it was said. Am I the only one that notice that?

Last edited:
I don't believe they ever said "Jar-dus," but I distinctly remember they pronounced the name "Jah-dis" instead of "Jay-dis."

Back