Pattertwig

Geraud

What happened to Patterwig after he was sent to Beaversdam to retrieve the children? It never mentions him again in the rest of the book. If he had died or even disappeared, it probably would have said so. Still, it is interesting to think that he might have gotten into our world. Thoughts?

Oh, I don't think you can make a case that he got into our world. In fact, no Narnian ever visits our world, except for King Caspian ever so briefly at the end of Silver Chair, and then only after he's died in Narnia. I think Lewis just forgot to mention him again. Remember, there was lots of activity over in Lantern Waste, and most of it didn't result in traffic to this world. Traffic between the worlds was closely regulated by Aslan. He only allowed it from our world to Narnia in very rare instances; He never seemed to allow it from Narnia to our world (for Narnians, that is.)

None

Aslan did send the Telmarines into our world after Prince Caspian, and Tirian got into our world briefly in TLB, but, yes, I agree that Patterwig probably did not get into our world. I just hope that he didn't die.

Oh, I'm sure Pattertwig didn't die. The Telmarines were just going home again - they didn't "belong" to Narnia. I don't think it was Tirian in Last Battle who managed a brief foray into our world, but Caspian in Silver Chair.

PrinceOfTheWest said:
Oh, I'm sure Pattertwig didn't die. The Telmarines were just going home again - they didn't "belong" to Narnia. I don't think it was Tirian in Last Battle who managed a brief foray into our world, but Caspian in Silver Chair.

You're right. Tirian didn't actually go into England. If you remember, he was tied to that tree waiting to be executed when he pleaded into the open air for Aslan to allow him to contact help (which ended up being Polly, Digory, Eustace, Jill, and the 3 Pevensies). He appeared to them as basically a ghost, but he didn't actually go into England.

Maybe he got into one of the other worlds, as you remember in MN there were all those pools, or something, though that sounds as unlikely as him getting into our world, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

This is a great question. I don't know why this hasn't occured to me before. :)

Actually I was reading TLB last night and it says that pretty much anybody was who was anybody throughout the series was in the garden in the new Narnia, and it mentioned a lot of people by name...Pattertwig wasn't mentioned. Which leads to all sorts of theories! lol

Of course I know the most likely thing is that Pattertwig helped Caspian to overthrow the Telmarines but served in such a low key way after his errand to Lantern Waste that it wasn't worth mentioning. And then in the garden at TLB there were so many other important people that Lewis probably didn't have time to name Pattertwig. The explanation is probably a really mundane one...I'm just sayin', it leads to lots of interesting theories. :)

I agree with you, pavender - I think it's just a question of Lewis not naming (or feeling he had to name) all the creatures who occurred in his books. Pattertwig was an interesting character, but a minor one. There's no reason to suppose anything unusual happened to him, any more than there's any reason to suppose that the Three Bulgies had anything happen to them.

What I find interesting is how Lewis has the various varieties of animal have aspects of their "animalness" become part of their natures. The dogs, as you see in Battle, are very doggy, the horses are horsey, and the squirrels are - well, squirrely. Remember that Trumpkin said they were all very flighty, and the only one they should trust with an important errand was Pattertwig.

PrinceOfTheWest said:
Oh, I don't think you can make a case that he got into our world. In fact, no Narnian ever visits our world, except for King Caspian ever so briefly at the end of Silver Chair, and then only after he's died in Narnia. I think Lewis just forgot to mention him again. Remember, there was lots of activity over in Lantern Waste, and most of it didn't result in traffic to this world. Traffic between the worlds was closely regulated by Aslan. He only allowed it from our world to Narnia in very rare instances; He never seemed to allow it from Narnia to our world (for Narnians, that is.)

Jadis also came into our world! :)

Queen Swanwhite said:
Jadis also came into our world! :)
Yes, she did - as a consequence of (primarily) the folly of Uncle Andrew, and (secondarily) the folly of Digory - and that was from Charn. That's what "magick" (the forbidden kind practiced by humans in defiance of God's Law) will get you! The very interesting question is why Aslan allowed her to make it all the way to Narnia. He wasn't "jumped" or surprised by her appearance - He was in control of the entire process, even the things that looked like accidents. He had His reasons, of course, some of them obvious (e.g. getting Narnia's first King & Queen there) and some of them not, but there's no denying that His permitting Jadis to hitch a ride to the new land caused a lot of problems later. Why did He permit that? Wish I had an easy answer.

None

Novels, in general, are very careful to keep track of their characters; it just struckme as odd they wouldn't explain. If he had died, or gotten into our world, Lewis probably would have said. Oh well

Pattertwig does seem to drop of the scene, which is interesting since he is a likable character. Squirrels appear in 5 of the 7 books. I also notice that many (not just here) on the internet misspell the name as Patterwig. Not sure why except that in an English accent the "t" is often a softer sound than in America, so people my not notice it and are not going back to the books to check themselves.

I don't think you can blame British pronunciation - the t is well-pronounced in British English. Actually, aside from this thread, I don't recall ever having seen Pattertwig discussed on the internet, with or without the t, but maybe there was a typo or someone who misread the name in the book and others copied the error when discussing.

Peeps

Aren't we being a negative Nancy. Of course it is a misspelling and if you just Google Patterwig you will see it being misspelled on the internet and not just on this thread. And the dropping of "t's" is quit common with Cockney accents. It is called a T-glottalization. Just look it up.

Yes, she did - as a consequence of (primarily) the folly of Uncle Andrew, and (secondarily) the folly of Digory - and that was from Charn. That's what "magick" (the forbidden kind practiced by humans in defiance of God's Law) will get you! The very interesting question is why Aslan allowed her to make it all the way to Narnia. He wasn't "jumped" or surprised by her appearance - He was in control of the entire process, even the things that looked like accidents. He had His reasons, of course, some of them obvious (e.g. getting Narnia's first King & Queen there) and some of them not, but there's no denying that His permitting Jadis to hitch a ride to the new land caused a lot of problems later. Why did He permit that? Wish I had an easy answer.

Aslan could have stopped Jadis any time he wished. For example, when she assaulted him with the iron bar broken off the London lamp post, he could have dealt with her on the spot, permanently. The fact he didn't may be for the same reason(s) that God allowed Satan to tempt Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.

Another interesting question is why did Aslan permit Jadis to reign so long, i.e 100 years?

Is it just me getting a little peckish or is it T time?

Good thing I have my T kettle on. First I'll add a T to Patterwig...now it's PATTERTWIG. The thread is spelled correctly.

Anyone else want a cuppa? :D

Thank you John! I should have done that yesterday when I looked in here, Patterwig!

What other characters appear briefly and then disappear in the Chronicles? Pattertwig was a great little chatterer -- deserved a bigger part I think.

Back