Pride and Prejudice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentle Voice

The novel opens with the line "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife". The arrival of such a man in the neighbourhood greatly excites Mrs. Bennet, whose sole interest in life is to see her five daughters married. The wealthy young man in question, Mr. Bingley, has leased the Netherfield estate and plans to settle for a while. His two sisters, a friend and his brother-in-law are staying with him.

The newcomers excite great interest locally, particularly amongst mothers of marriageable daughters. They attend a public ball in the village of Meryton, where Mr. Bingley shows himself to be amiable and unpretentious, dancing with many young ladies and demonstrates his admiration for Jane Bennet, the eldest of the five Bennet sisters, by dancing with her twice. His friend Mr. Darcy, however, makes himself unpopular despite his fine figure and income of £10,000 a year, being seemingly proud and disagreeable. Elizabeth Bennet, the independent, intelligent and spirited second eldest Bennet sister hears him say of herself "She is tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt me". Soon after he acknowledges to Miss Bingley, Elizabeth is pretty with fine eyes. Following the ball, Jane is invited for an evening to Netherfield, but catches a bad cold and is forced to stay for some days. Elizabeth walks the three miles to Netherfield to nurse her, further engaging Darcy's guarded attention and the not-so-guarded hostility of Miss Bingley, who has an interest in Darcy herself and is jealous of Darcy's regard for Elizabeth.

Mr. Collins, a clergyman and the cousin who will inherit the Bennet estate, arrives for a visit. Having a good living and "in want of a wife", he intends to marry one of his cousins, thus atoning for his position as entailed heir and healing the breach in the family. A pompous buffoon, Mr. Collins has been advised by his imperious patroness, Lady Catherine de Bourgh (who is also Darcy's aunt), to find himself a suitable wife. Finding that Jane is destined for Bingley he immediately switches his sights to Elizabeth, who refuses him absolutely despite the threats and entreaties of her mother. Charlotte Lucas, Elizabeth's plain but very good friend seizes the opportunity of drawing Mr Collins attentions to herself and, to Elizabeth's surprise, he is accepted by her. Charlotte neither loves nor respects him, but wishes to escape the fate of becoming an old maid. Elizabeth does not regret the loss of her suitor, but is disappointed in Charlotte and is certain she will be unhappy as Mrs. Collins.

For some time Meryton has been home to a regiment of soldiers, delighting the giddy, youngest Bennet sisters Kitty and Lydia. Elizabeth is introduced to a pleasant young officer, Mr. Wickham, who tells her that he has known Mr. Darcy from childhood, and has been cheated by him of a bequest by Darcy's late father. This reinforces Elizabeth's dislike of Darcy. Bingley leaves Netherfield with the rest of the party staying with him, dashing the hopes of Jane, who has fallen in love with him. Elizabeth encounters Darcy again on a visit to the newlywed Mr. and Mrs. Collins, as he arrives to visit Lady Catherine at Rosings Park, the estate to which Mr. Collins's living is attached. Elizabeth is unaware of Darcy's growing admiration for her, and is astonished when he proposes to her. His offer is high-handed and condescending and when he does so, he says he likes her "against his own will" and in spite of her objectionable family. He is stunned and mortified to be rejected. Elizabeth tells him he is "the last man in the world whom [she] could ever be prevailed on to marry". She has recently learnt that it was Darcy who persuaded Mr. Bingley to give up Jane, increasing her dislike for him, and also cites his treatment of Wickham, his arrogance and his ungentlemanly conduct as reasons for her refusal.

The next day, Mr. Darcy intercepts Elizabeth on her morning walk and hands her a letter before coldly taking his leave. In it, he justifies his actions over Bingley and Jane — he says he believed that Jane was indifferent to Bingley's advances and feared that his friend's heart would be broken if he continued to court her. Darcy also details his history with Wickham, who has misrepresented his treatment by Darcy and, shockingly, even attempted to seduce and elope with Darcy's young and vulnerable sister. Elizabeth is mortified that she has made an error in judgment and been prejudiced as she realizes the inconsistencies in Wickham's stories. New light is shed on Mr. Darcy's personality and Elizabeth begins to reconsider her opinion of him. Later, on holiday with her aunt and uncle, the Gardiners, Elizabeth is persuaded to tour Pemberley, Mr. Darcy's estate, on the understanding that he is away. To her embarrassment he returns unexpectedly; however, his altered behaviour toward her — distinctly warmer than at their last meeting — and his polite and friendly manner toward her aunt and uncle — who have made their wealth in trade - she is persuaded that underneath his pride lies a true and generous nature. This impression is reinforced by the testimony of his staff who speak of his kindness towards them and his tenants. Her revised opinion is reinforced on meeting his sister Georgiana, a gentle, shy young girl upon whom he dotes.

Just as her relationship with Mr. Darcy is beginning to thaw, Elizabeth receives the dreadful news that her headstrong younger sister Lydia has eloped with Mr. Wickham, who has left his commission to evade gambling debts. She returns home, believing that this scandal can only further disgust Darcy, whatever he may feel for her personally. All is in chaos at home, particularly when it becomes apparent that Wickham has not married Lydia and the two are living together in London. Mr. Gardiner apparently traces them and arranges the wedding, delighting the foolish Mrs. Bennet. Only from a careless remark of Lydia's does Elizabeth discover that it was really Darcy who secretly intervened, buying Wickham's compliance and saving Lydia's reputation at great financial cost. This completes the reversal in Elizabeth's sentiments.

Soon after Mr. Bingley and Jane Bennet are reunited by Darcy and they become engaged. Lady Catherine discovers Mr. Darcy's feelings for Elizabeth, which threaten her long-cherished desire for him to marry her sickly and unattractive daughter. She pays Elizabeth an unannounced visit and brusquely tries to intimidate her into refusing such an engagement. Unfortunately for Lady Catherine, she then visits Darcy telling him of her visit to Elizabeth and Elizabeth's refusal of her demand, hoping to get him to give up the attachment. But instead this gives him the hope that if he proposes to Elizabeth again, she may accept him. He speedily returns to Netherfield and again asks Elizabeth to marry him and this time she accepts.

I'm Elzabeth :]

DayHawk- Jane

Last edited:
I truly _would_ like to be in a roleplay of this, but I just don't have time for more on-forum activity than I'm already doing. I wish you success at recruiting.

Premise No. 1: This is in the roleplay section.

Premise No. 2: Hannah said, "I'm Elizabeth."

Quasi-syllogistic conclusion: It's a roleplay.

Um, Dayhawk, you do realize, don't you, that no character of either sex in a Jane Austen story can fly, or shoot death rays out of his or her eyes, or lift battleships with one finger, or turn into a sexy vampire? :D

Um, Dayhawk, you do realize, don't you, that no character of either sex in a Jane Austen story can fly, or shoot death rays out of his or her eyes, or lift battleships with one finger, or turn into a sexy vampire? :D

LOL!!!

I won't participate, sorry. I know nothing about P&P other than the title. And I really don't think I could read it. Unless it has battles and descriptions of battles with forces maneuvering to get to a position and regular infantry storming defensive works. I tried once to read Jane Austen, I don't remember anything. Sorry. LOL!

but can use sentuality as a weapon...yeah I know:p not that Jane will...but hey if ever there is an Emma rpg...;)

I'm actually about to read the book... once I buy it, of course. But I can't join until I finish it, which won't be until the end of November, most likely.

If this EVIL, EVIL, EVIL forum software, which deserves to be alive so it could be tortured to death with indescribable cruelty, would STOP erasing posts, you would already have before you the summary I tried to contribute of what society was like then. Let me see if I can slip in fragments and NOT have the TRAITOR system erase them:

This was the period when Napoleon was trying to conquer everybody; Spain and Britain, usually enemies, were now allies as the latter tried to help liberate the former.

It was also the period when the heroic Christian statesman William Wilberforce was fighting to end slavery in the British Empire.

But Jane Austen's characters paid little notice to these things; they were too busy being rich, or trying to marry someone who was.

If this EVIL, EVIL, EVIL forum software, which deserves to be alive so it could be tortured to death with indescribable cruelty, would STOP erasing posts, you would already have before you the summary I tried to contribute of what society was like then. Let me see if I can slip in fragments and NOT have the TRAITOR system erase them:

This was the period when Napoleon was trying to conquer everybody; Spain and Britain, usually enemies, were now allies as the latter tried to help liberate the former.

It was also the period when the heroic Christian statesman William Wilberforce was fighting to end slavery in the British Empire.

But Jane Austen's characters paid little notice to these things; they were too busy being rich, or trying to marry someone who was.

she paid attension to women's world
she could care less if the men were killing each other:p lol

I must have scared the program into doing its job FOR A CHANGE.

One of the most crucial features of any Jane Austen character--IN THE EYES OF MOST OTHER CHARACTERS--is how much money he or she "has." I say "has," not "earns," because the leading characters almost always are members of families who own extensive land and collect rent from people who farm it.

It is not impossible for a landlord-tenant relationship to be humane and decent all around; it is so with Mr. Darcy, the hero of this story, and likewise with his counterpart Mr. Knightley in "Emma," the first Jane Austen book I ever read. But the farmers are seldom of interest to the author as on-stage individuals.

OOC: when you have long post. Right click and click on copy before submitting. That way, if the server acts up and you lose it, you have it in your clipboard. Just paste it again and you're done.
And I still have these headaches from when I tried to read JA. LOL, Ok, sorry I won't spam anymore.

I must have scared the program into doing its job FOR A CHANGE.

One of the most crucial features of any Jane Austen character--IN THE EYES OF MOST OTHER CHARACTERS--is how much money he or she "has." I say "has," not "earns," because the leading characters almost always are members of families who own extensive land and collect rent from people who farm it.

It is not impossible for a landlord-tenant relationship to be humane and decent all around; it is so with Mr. Darcy, the hero of this story, and likewise with his counterpart Mr. Knightley in "Emma," the first Jane Austen book I ever read. But the farmers are seldom of interest to the author as on-stage individuals.

she wrote what she knew
what she didn't she left out
but as the reader we got to see that women of that era were stillunable to venture from their domestic duties

wait shouldn't we make this discussion somewhere else? I dont think Hannah would appreciate a debate in an rpg.

>> she could care less if the men were killing each other lol

Since Napoleon Bonaparte is known to have been callous to the fate of women who suffered outrages at the hands of his troops (I can't tell the story on this forum)...if he had ever managed to conquer England, and French soldiers had gotten their hands on Miss Austen, any morally-equivalent "each other" thinking she might have had would have disappeared, and she would have been wishing for HER OWN side to have won a totally ONE-sided VICTORY over the French side!

Hannah, thread initiator, DOES want to attempt a beginning. So I'll try to help. Incidentally, I usually DO save a prepared post BECAUSE the software is so evil here; but sometimes it still fakes me out, pretending to have decided it feels like working.

I'm setting my character in motion, in the hope of GETTING more players to join. Kim suggested that we say the action starts in spring; and I say that, at the time of this opening scene, Mr. Bingley and the Bennett sisters DON'T yet know each other. Now, watch me make a good impression!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

It was a fine spring morning at the Netherfield estate, whose owners had found it to their advantage to rent it out to a gentleman who was currently in better financial condition than they: a certain Charles Bingley, only twenty-two years of age, whose indifferent performance at lessons in marksmanship and swordplay had persuaded his wealthy family to keep him well out of the great struggle of the age against Napoleon. But at least young Mr. Bingley could sit a horse well enough...or so he thought.

He had made the acquaintance of all the staff of the estate, making a good impression on them by his mild attitude and willingness to let them also speak when he spoke with them. They provided him with a well-trained chestnut gelding, on which Mr. Bingley now set forth to see what he could see of his new neighbors.

It was thus that he was to meet Miss Jane Bennett for the first time, along with her sister Elizabeth. Mr. Bingley was proceeding at the trot which was his horse's favorite gait, though it made Mr. Bingley's voice sound odd when he called out good-morning's to those he saw.

When he caught sight of two beautiful young women, sisters by the look of them, he resolved to cut a finer figure than he had been doing heretofore. So he kicked his mount into a reasonable canter, starting to wave to the ladies...

But just then, he passed too close to a large and stiff bush of some kind. His right leg came afoul of it, causing his trouser leg to suffer four or five rips all in an instant--the skin beneath not faring much better. In unthinking reaction, he pulled his right foot up out of the stirrup, clutched at the hurting leg with both hands...and inevitably fell out of the saddle, striking the breath out of himself as he hit the ground.

Elizabeth looked at the guy who just fell off his house " Oh, may yes we should," she told her, getting up to help hi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back