random thing I noticed

MrBob

Maybe this could be a catch-all topic for those things you noticed in the movie that do not warrant a full topic.

I noticed that Lucy never bowed to Aslan in the movie. When she saw Aslan first, she was knocked off her horse, Aslan attacked the soldier, and then Lucy rushed over to him to give him a hug and talk with him.

When the Telmarines are giving up, Peter, Edmund, Susan, and Caspian come ashore and all bow to Aslan, with Lucy standing there right with him.

I don't know, it was just interesting.

MrBob

I noticed that too, it was rather odd. But then there is never any reference to Lucy bowing to Him in the book that I remeber, but I don't think Peter, Susan or Ed did either, Caspian did I believe.

I suppose it's because Lucy knows that Aslan knows that her heart is fully and securely devoted to Him, no matter what posture she is in.

I'll put this here, too

Do the catapaults they used in PC actually exist? Is there such thing as an "automatic" catapault that can load and fire by itself?

MrBob

I have a feeling that if they ever existed in reality they would rapidly run out of ammunition.
All those bolders they fire would have to be shaped so they are the same size and can roll, not easy to do on a battlefield.:D

I'll put this here, too

Do the catapaults they used in PC actually exist? Is there such thing as an "automatic" catapault that can load and fire by itself?

MrBob

If you watch the commentary they talk about how they got the idea for how the bridge was made from the Romans. The catapaults were also from the Romans.

Yes, Roman trebuchets did operate with a counterweight, but how well could they fire? It seems to me without a force to stop the arm, the boulder would just stay on the arm and either hit the ground close by or hold onto it.

MrBob

"Would the braking caused by the opposite end of the arm picking up a new stoe be sufficient to release the ball?"

Peep, the trebuchets used only had one loading arm and a counterweighted arm that was much smaller so it did not hit the other boulders. If it did have a double arm system, the impact of the empty arm would have knocked the ammo backwards instead of picking it up. The way it was portrayed in the movies, the distance of the shots was too far.

"I also noticed that at the end she bows to Trumpkin twice. What's that about?"

I also found that to be odd. Once would have been fine since it was a bit of handing over the reigns to the new leaders, but twice was weird. I think it was just supposed to be her trying to curtsy properly, but then wanting to hug him as well, forgoing protocol.

Whatever they intended, I am not sure they got what they really wanted.

MrBob

How did the mice get across the Great River? o this is not a riddle. At the end when the mice are carrying Reep, they are shown as if they just came from the river. The current was very quick and it was too deep for the mice to do anything but swim.

MrBob

I noticed that caspian is shot in the arm then after two minutes he's fine but when a telmarine is poked with a mouse sword (which is bascially a drawing pin) they die... i dont get it...

I noticed that caspian is shot in the arm then after two minutes he's fine but when a telmarine is poked with a mouse sword (which is bascially a drawing pin) they die... i dont get it...

HAHAHAHA

I would just say it's a matter of focus and aim.
You'll notice that Caspian's aunt (whose name I don't remember how to spell)
was screaming bloody murder and not at all focused when she shot Caspian, otherwise she might have actually hurt him. And he is holding his arm like it hurts in a later scene, if I remember correctly. I imagine in the middle of a battle he didn't have time to think about the pain too much.

When you have the mice and their swords:
1 We don't know how sharp they are.

2 We don't know how much force the mice are putting behind those swords, I know they're small but that doesn't always equal weak.

3 They always hit somewhere fital like the face or the neck.

4. They are actually trained for battle where.

"I noticed that caspian is shot in the arm then after two minutes he's fine but when a telmarine is poked with a mouse sword (which is bascially a drawing pin) they die... i dont get it..."

Sammy, the problem is that they are felled so quickly. Even someone whose artery was cut with that small sword would be able to react. The only way they could have been so deadly is if they had some kind of fast acting poison imbued in their swords.

MrBob

It's actually rather simple. The mice fought in groups and several would strike at once. They, being small, would be used to concentrating their attack on extremely vital spots. Cutting the achilles tendon would bring a tall man down in a hurry, then under the breastbone and into the heart or perhaps through the eye.

Remember we're not talking three inch mice, nor are we talking foot-high mice. Reep was significantly larger, like the size of a medium dog.

Back