Religious Films And Series

jasmine tarkheena

I'm sure that a lot of us at one time or another have seen at least one religious film or series or Bible-related shows.

In the 40's, 50's, and 60's (I think), religious films had such an impact with blockbuster hits like The Ten Commandments, Ben-Hur, The Bible In The Beginning, etc. They were good for their time, but not biblically accurate.

In the 80's or 90's, kids Bible related shows had an impact as well. As a girl who was born in the 90's, I've watched shows like VeggieTales, Story Keepers (about the early Christians in Rome that met in catacombs during the time of Nero). I've also watched Animated Stories From The Bible from Nest, which are okay, even though not perfect. It may not necessarily be the best introduction to the Bible due to its disoriented content.

Then years later, been watching Superbook, which gets the Bible about 90% right. It has one of the two kids facing some kind of dilemma during the present day, and Super Book shows up to take them back in Bible times. It even gets historically accurate. For instance, in the episodes about Daniel, they really added some much detail about the Ishtar Gate and really put effort to it.

I'm sure that there are those of you out there that like religious films or series (I know it may sound like a broad catergory, though). But they sure had made some impacts over the years.

I'm familiar with Veggie Tales. I knew about them when they first came out, then watched a lot of them with my nieces and nephew between 2010-2015. They have such good messages and humor. Some of the songs are still stuck in my head, and as a balding 41-year old I'll occasionally break out into the "Oh Wheeeeeeere...Is My Hairbrush?!" song before acknowledging that I don't have one or a full head of hair. 🙁

Has anyone here watched The Chosen?! What are your thoughts?! I put off watching The Chosen for a long time because I had this preconceived notion that it had this overly casual and lighthearted approach to Jesus and the Gospel. On the contrary, I have found it to be a profound work of art and watching it a deeply healing experience. If you have not yet, I highly recommend it.

One of my favorite episodes is entitled The Perfect Opportunity, and is found halfway through Season 2. It introduces the character Simon the Zealot, and has a long, wordless, visually and musically powerful opening sequence introducing the relationship between two Jewish brothers.

I also love the episode where Jesus has just sent his apostles out two by two and given them authority as they preach and teach to heal in His name. This episode features another opening sequence of several minutes, this time in black and white. As with the show as a whole, there is so much attention to detail and symbolism. For example, Peter and Judas are on of the six pairs, and although they are both praying over/helping a tormented soul, Judas is working furiously from the shadows while by contrast a great beam of light rests on Peter.

The acting throughout the series is heartfelt and on point. Another great episode is The Wedding Guest in Season 1. I love the connection made between The Finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple at the beginning and the Miracle at Caana at the end.

The episodes just keep getting better and better as you go along. The Season 3 finale blew my mind.

There is a fair amount of background put into the story. Nothing contradicts the Bible. The background drama is not a claim of exactly how it happened, but rather how it could have happened. The show is highly successful at making the Gospel deeply accessible to all of us in all the things we face in life, big or small.

Makers of religious films need to do their homework.

Way back in the Fifties, a bland life-of-Jesus movie was released under the title "Day of Triumph." If was pretty sound Biblically; but I couldn't overlook a glaring misstep in dialogue. Early in Jesus' public ministry, some ordinary folks were depicted speculating on who Jesus was. They speculated that Jesus might EITHER be the Messiah, OR be the Christ.

Face palm.

Makers of religious films need to do their homework.

Way back in the Fifties, a bland life-of-Jesus movie was released under the title "Day of Triumph." If was pretty sound Biblically; but I couldn't overlook a glaring misstep in dialogue. Early in Jesus' public ministry, some ordinary folks were depicted speculating on who Jesus was. They speculated that Jesus might EITHER be the Messiah, OR be the Christ.

Face palm.
I know how that goes. Religious films don’t always have solid Christian messages.

The same could be said about kids Bible shows in the 80’s and 90’s. I remember helping out in a Kids Wednesday Night Class during my first year of high school, and they’ve used “Animated Stories From The Bible” from Nest. In an episode called Built Upon The Rock, at the start with two brothers in confrontation, I kind of thought it was a parable. Then one of the brothers meets up with Jesus, and I was like, “Okay, where is this going?” Then it turned out to be a set up for where someone in the crowd tells Jesus to talk to his brother about dividing the inheritance with him, and Jesus telling the story of the rich fool. There, I could see what they were trying to do.

But still, the makers should have done more homework or careful study.

Last edited:
The Superbook I've been watching are actually a re-do or a remake of a Japanese series that came out in the 80's and 90's. I must say, they done a lot of improvement.

Interestingly enough, not many kids Bible shows has ever had a remake or a re-do. Well, given that it seems that a lot of kids shows are having a reboot these days, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a redo of a kid's Bible show.

If there was a remake of the Animated Stories From The Bible (might even be a mini-series), I would be interested. While the original are good from a story telling point of view, the content is disoriented and not everything on there are out of the Bible.

It would be interesting to see what somebody else or what other company might do with Animated Stories From The Bible. Though I think it will probably be a long time before it happens.

I went to the theater with four friends Saturday, to see the first of three parts of Season 4 of The Chosen (Season 4 Episodes 1,2 and 3 combined into one showing with one intermission). I was disappointed how few people were there (about a third of the seats were filled). It was a 3pm Saturday showing, so perhaps other times would do better.

Has anyone on here seen The Chosen? If so, which full episode?

Please consider seeing and supporting Season 4 in the theaters. This season shifts into a much heavier tone.

I'll mention a few scenes below, so this is a SPOILER warning!

The first episode began with a joyful opening scene. We knew from the trailer that Herod's birthday party would be shown sometime, so I thought they might open the season with the Baptism of the Lord, because that would make a connection to John the Baptist. I also had a thought, as I was praying the other day, that perhaps they'd open the season with the Visitation of Mary, and this is indeed what they chose. We see a young Mary traveling on a donkey. We even see another woman traveling nearby gossiping, suggesting Mary became pregnant in an unholy manner, a hostile disposition Mary might have indeed overheard or encountered. We see Mary arrive and an elderly but joyful Elizabeth greets her with the words straight out of Luke's Gospel. We also hear the Canticle of Mary in reply. And yes, there is some added dialogue. That's a key idea behind The Chosen, and when that kind of dialogue is added, it's clearly shown how it is being presented separate from the quoted Gospel. The viewer is of course responsible for being familiar with scripture. So, this was a beautiful introduction for the episode, that was principally concerned with John the Baptist.

I want to point out how well done Herod's birthday celebration was. These sequences show evil for what it truly is. There were background shots with entertainers at the party, with snakes draped over them, presenting the reptiles to guests as something intriguing. There were flame throwers and fire breathers, and these shots were intentionally compressed and presented on screen in a dizzying manner. The actresses for Salome and Herodias played their parts well. Salome had her eyes downcast almost the entire time, as if in knowing shame, and then proceeded to perform her dance in snake like fashion. Herodias was clearly motivated by perceived insult, and shown to be wicked. The whole sequence was considerably disturbing to watch, as intended, to show evil for what it is.

Toward the end of the episode John the Baptist is shown in his final moments. They decided to depict him as having a vision of a lamb in pasture, just as he was about to beheaded. Flashback scenes were shown of when Zechariah named his newborn son and was able to speak again, and praise the Lord. It was beautifully portrayed.

There are several other scenes I could mention. I'll wrap up by mentioning that Simon is given his new name Peter; I believe it is in Episode 2. It was interesting how this was done with Caesarae Philipi in the background. Also, the persecution of Jesus by the Pharisees is now in full swing. Of course they are dumbfounded when Jesus heals a blind man. Their mouths are agape that someone claiming to be God would actually heal someone in need of healing.

Pleae give this show a try if you haven't already. I am truly amazed how wonderfully it captures both the spirit (and the letter!) of the Gospel.

Last edited:
Three of the five of us got together again to see The Chosen Season 4, this time Episodes 4-6 last Saturday (logistically the other two guys needed to go at other times). Four of us are going together again this Saturday, as the final two episodes are now playing.

Here's a recap of how well the second installment of the fourth season incorporated the truths of scripture through keen character development, instructive foreshadowing, and an outstanding script.

Judas Iscariot gradually isolates himself from the companionship and fellowship of the mission. He reunites with an old friend and business partner. As a result of keeping bad company, Judas becomes more entitled and takes money from the purse for himself. Shortly after, the former tax collector Matthew happens to notice the exact amount that's missing and finds the courage to tactfully confront Judas.

Shmuel brings Yussif (the assumed Joseph of Arimathea) into the Sanhedrin in Jerusalem where the two navigate a labyrinth of political regulations, committees, and grandstanding. When elder members reveal their further antagonism toward Jesus of Nazareth to the point of wanting to kill him, Shmuel and Yussif express their disapproval.

During one episode Jesus and his disciples celebrate The Feast of Dedication (Hanukkah). The apostles reenacted the various players in the Maccabean victory over the Seleucid king Antiochus IV Epiphanes. Seeing them briefly step into unexpected roles contrasted humorously upon their otherwise predictable personalities.

I especially enjoyed watching how Jesus and his followers fell into the home of Lazarus, Martha and Mary and how the classic scene between Martha and Mary unfolded. The actresses each played their parts exceptionally well embodying certain anxiety and docility, respectively. With great care and compassion Jesus brought instructive counsel and purposeful resolution to all present there.

There is a particularly pressing scene at Zebedee's olive grove. Jesus watches from a distance as angst overcomes him and he breaks into sweats foreshadowing how his life will be soon pressed out in his own passion.

Jesus receives word that Lazaurs has fallen ill. With only two episodes left, it is likely that raising Lazarus from the dead may very well be (one of) the final scene(s) of the season. I love the arc of this season beginning with John the Baptist and ending with Lazarus. The lives of both saints fittingly prepare the way for the Messiah.

Last edited:
The ultimate very MOST worst-est of worst Biblical movies was "The Song of Ruth." It simply set out on purpose to get everything wrong, and succeeded. The worst PART OF this worst-est movie was a detail they didn't need to do at all, but they WANTED to do it.

No prophet is depicted in the BOOK of Ruth. But the scriptwriter decided that the movie would seem "spiritual" if it included a prophet. He was the poison pill. He gave a little pep-talk to Ruth which would clash with BOTH Judaism and Christianity. He told Ruth (approximate quote): "One of your descendants will be a man--" {the next seven words are EXACTLY what he said, it stuck in my mind} "--whom many will worship as the Messiah."

Jews and Christians alike, if possessing more intelligence than a cauliflower, would come right back with an identical response: "How is Ruth to know if this announcement is good or bad news? Never mind if people in the future will REGARD this descendant as the Messiah; tell us whether he will ACTUALLY BE the Messiah!!!"

And it was all so fabulously unnecessary! They could have kept the prophet character in the script-- just have him say, "One of your descendants will be A KING OF ISRAEL." This would not have contradicted anything in Judaism OR Christianity, and it would have been a perfectly sufficient punchline for the tale of Ruth and Boaz. The movie would still have been a flawed story due to lesser faults, but would not have been a gigantic travesty.

As it is, "The Song of Ruth" reminds me of the expression "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory."

I enjoy The Chosen, but there are some fictional additions that are concerning, like in Season 3, Ep 8 where Peter gets mad at Jesus that he feeds Five Thousand but doesn’t stop his wife’s miscarriage. Peter is so angry he walks on the water in a fury before collapsing in sorrow. This did not happen, Peter walked on the water by faith not fury. It is changes like these that worry me.

I enjoy The Chosen, but there are some fictional additions that are concerning, like in Season 3, Ep 8 where Peter gets mad at Jesus that he feeds Five Thousand but doesn’t stop his wife’s miscarriage. Peter is so angry he walks on the water in a fury before collapsing in sorrow. This did not happen, Peter walked on the water by faith not fury. It is changes like these that worry me.
I could see that. I remember seeing an episode of Animated Stories from the New Testament called The Miracles of Jesus, and it featured Peter walking on water. However, he did it while everything was calm. It actually happened during a big storm. So I could see where changes like that would offend those who are purists.

I'm not a purist per say, though I do check what Scripture say to see if it matches up or not.

About ten years ago, Hollywood release a blockbuster movie about Noah, which I haven't seen, though I did hear they've ruined it. From what I've heard, it featured a mob wanting to take the ark in which God had already closed the door. Then they must have thought it would have been a boring version, so decided to add something in there for excitement. But still, why ruin God's Word?

You kind of have to wonder if Hollywood has read the Bible or if they have, they've read it on context.

If by "Noah" you mean the movie which I think you mean, that movie apparently tried even harder to get everything wrong on purpose than "THE SONG OF RUTH" did. They reportedly made the fall of Sodom and Gomorrah happen before the Great Flood.

If by "Noah" you mean the movie which I think you mean, that movie apparently tried even harder to get everything wrong on purpose than "THE SONG OF RUTH" did. They reportedly made the fall of Sodom and Gomorrah happen before the Great Flood.
Yes, that's right. I haven't heard about Sodom and Gomorrah being done before the Flood. But I could see how it would cause some outrage, since the fall of Sodom and Gomorrah didn't occur years after the Flood.

I also remember seeing One Night With The King, which is about Esther, at the cinemas. The landscape of Persia is done beautifully, and the costumes were well done. Though it wasn't Biblically accurate. They kind of made a love story with Esther and Xerxes. Then there was also where Haman begged for his life, he did it differently than in Scripture. They also featured just one feast (though I reckon they had to leave out the first feast for time sake).

Xerxes was not a lover, he was an OWNER of women. He took Esther as his property.

And by having Haman actually attack Esther, the movie destroyed a subtle but edifying point from the real events. Haman had been trying all along to use A FALSE COLLECTIVE ACCUSATION to bring about genocide against the Jews. Therefore, it is highly significant that Haman begged for mercy, and DID NOT assault Esther. Thus, when brain-dead Xerxes beheld Haman groveling, he stupidly ASSUMED that this was a physical attack. It's conceivable that, while permitting the Jews to defend themselves, Xerxes might have spared Haman's life; but his mistaken perception at a crucial instant sealed the villain's fate.

Haman wanted the Jews to suffer destruction on a FAKE pretext of them being insurrectionists. Therefore, Haman literally DESERVED to suffer a punishment he DIDN'T deserve.

I could see where they were trying to get at. Maybe they've thought Haman would've been too sympathetic if they went with the route of where he begs Esther for his life by kneeling and groveling. Xerxes was not in the room when it happened, so he would have though it was an assault.

Another thing was that Esther was instructed not tell anyone she was Jewish or even her real name Haddeseh. She never did in Scripture while in the movie, she did at the banquet she held for Xerxes and Haman.

So does go to show that Hollywood isn't always accurate in religious films (though it might depend on what your definition of "religious" is).

I could see that. I remember seeing an episode of Animated Stories from the New Testament called The Miracles of Jesus, and it featured Peter walking on water. However, he did it while everything was calm. It actually happened during a big storm. So I could see where changes like that would offend those who are purists.

I'm not a purist per say, though I do check what Scripture say to see if it matches up or not.

About ten years ago, Hollywood release a blockbuster movie about Noah, which I haven't seen, though I did hear they've ruined it. From what I've heard, it featured a mob wanting to take the ark in which God had already closed the door. Then they must have thought it would have been a boring version, so decided to add something in there for excitement. But still, why ruin God's Word?

You kind of have to wonder if Hollywood has read the Bible or if they have, they've read it on context.
The Noah movie even had the Fallen (Genesis 6:4-11) that God was flooding the earth over build the Ark.. that is twisted.

Back