Stuff you found out by reading the Magicans Nephew which showed up in later books

mr fox

im just thinking becuase of lot of people say read LLW first rather then this one i found out that by reading this one you can discover alot of things about narnia that comes to light later on in thers series two examples i can think of are the at the end where it is revealed that the tree digory chops down and turns into a warddrobe is the same one that lucy uses to get into narnia.

any other reveals in this book that has been reaved later on it the other books?

the only other one i can think of is finding out that jadis is the white which in LLW.

what did you guys discover?

Well, you'd figure that you'd find a fair amount of that, since Nephew was one of the last books written, and Lewis would have tied up a lot of loose ends - like where the lammpost came from. One thing he didn't explain: the comment how Jadis was descended in some way from Lilith. That never got unpacked.

We find out where the Witch's knife went in VDT, although the place it appears leaves a few unanswered questions itself. We're never told exactly how it was moved to Ramadu's Island.

Well, you'd figure that you'd find a fair amount of that, since Nephew was one of the last books written, and Lewis would have tied up a lot of loose ends - like where the lammpost came from. One thing he didn't explain: the comment how Jadis was descended in some way from Lilith. That never got unpacked.
No, but it does explain that she isn't human and why she has no right to be queen.

But if Lewis intended TMN to tie up loose ends, he didn't do a very good job. It creates more loose ends than it ties up. Where does the Stone Table fit in? How does the Witch come to have a right over the blood of traitors?

It does answer, I suppose, why Narnia and Archenland are so similar, and why they are friends (though it doesn't explain about Calormen). And it explains why Professor Kirke is so quick to believe Lucy's story. I'm struggling for much more than that, though.

Peeps

Persons who know nothing but the MOVIE of the FIRST book will have the impression that there is nothing BUT Narnia itself on the "planet" which contains Narnia. The Magician's Nephew does at least impress on the reader the fact that Narnia proper is only part of the Narnian WORLD.

Like Lewis himself, I do recommend starting the Narnia series at the chronological beginning.

For additional speculations about Narnian beginnings, I urge people to start reading Timbalionguy's story The Lion's Share, which is currently accessible on Writing Club. It is designed as a tandem with my own tiger story. So even if you come to the end of Tim's existing text before he adds more, you can hop straight ahead to Southward the Tigers and keep reading, and it will all make sense as one unbroken narrative

But if Lewis intended TMN to tie up loose ends, he didn't do a very good job. It creates more loose ends than it ties up. Where does the Stone Table fit in? How does the Witch come to have a right over the blood of traitors?

i was actually thinking about that today...but i guess we can't know until later times

as for what I found out from reading MN, it would be how Narnia became in possession of The Lone Islands(if i'm not mistaking it was said at the end of the story, I haven't read it in a while)

Yeah-on the topic of the thread the fact that she did descend from Lilith was something I learned after I read G. MacDonald's book Lilith and then re-reading MN. A supposed story about the lineage of Jadis from Lilith would be interesting in the professor's writing club just to throw an idea out there for someone..;)

well im think that alot of these loose end where either tied up in the books or in other books written after the narnian series was published...

The Garden where Digory and Polly go to on Strawbery is the entrance of Real Narnia at the end of TLB. Everyone just happened to go on the ground where in MN, they flew.

MrBob

This isn't in the books but: in the movie LWW (Walden), when Susan and Peter discuss Lucy's story with the Professor, he takes his tobacco out of a silver apple. ;)

I guess I've never really consciously noticed anything that was brought up in TMN and later talked about in other books. Really you don't have to; it's one of those things where you don't have to consciously think about it.

I also notice a tree on the wardrobe in the film. Possible reference to TMN?
Also I think that when the tree that grew up in Digory's back yard fell down, that could possibly be when the Tree's protection in Narnia failed and the White Witch came and took over.

Things in TMN that are brought up in later books??

Am I the only one who reads them in published order? But I have to say, TMN was very interesting to read because of references to things I came across in earlier books. ;)

No, I read them in published order all the time.

I can't say I notice much in Nephew that shows up in later books because so little of the action takes place in Narnia. One thing that does is Aslan's Warning - i.e. the instructions to the Talking Beasts not to forget their responsibilities or they will revert to dumb beasts. That effect is seen twice later in the Chronicles - once in the reference to the Lapsed Bear of Stormness Head at the end of Horse, and again in the response of Ginger the Cat when he sees Tash in the Stable in Battle.

Like many people, I suspect, I did not read The Magicians Nephew until some time after I had read The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, and, indeed, I may, in fact, have have heard the latter serialised on the radio prior to my reading of the book. From the Magicians Nephew I learned many things about Narnia, including the origins of Jadis, although it is not explained how Narnia became so weak that she was able to conquer the country. I also discovered information concerning the beginning of Narnia and found out that there were other countries surrounding the land, plus how some of the beasts (not all) gained the ability to speak. I discovered how a lamp post came to be located in the Western Woods, where the wood for the wardrobe came from, explaining why it served as a portal from our world to Narnia, and why Professor Kirk was so sympathetic to Lucy's account of discovering Narnia, and how he came to be living in a large country house. However, after reading all seven books there do seem to be quite a few loose ends!

Yeah, I found it interesting to know how the lamp post came into Narnia, as well as the story behind Professor Kirke (and why he believed Lucy's story). I didn't expect the White Witch (Jadis) to have come from another world. That was interesting.

One thing he didn't explain: the comment how Jadis was descended in some way from Lilith. That never got unpacked.

At the risk of being shot down in flames, I am going to ask whether Jadis actually was descended from Lilith, bearing in mind that we know virtually nothing about her background and the history of Charn? Is it not possible that, over the long years of her reign, those opposed to Jadis attempted to 'demonise' her further by means of propaganda (common in wartime and such situations) and the idea that she was half jinn and half giantess sprang from this, and evolved over time?

I think that was an offhand comment of Lewis' that he couldn't "retrieve" when he wanted to develop the story further. You're right - there's almost no possible way you could connect Lilith with the royal family of Charn (though he does make a point of speculating, even while Digory is in the Hall of Images, about the giantish blood.)

This happens to the best of authors and series - the recent X-Men film series even got caught in it!

Back