The Half-Blood's Revenge

Of course, another Harry Potter fic. Honestly, what fics would I write otherwise? (Okay, maybe Skandar & Bonnie and W&C but...) So here it is.

Teddy Lupin leaned against the brick wall of Number 7, Perevell Drive, in Godric’s Hollow. He gazed up at the house, with its quaint shutters and nice potted plants in the windows that Ginny Potter and her daughter had so perfectly arranged on the sills. A small gnome ran freely — despite the efforts of little James and Albus to rid the garden of them — until it tripped and fell into the pond, gurgling and screeching. Laughing a little, Teddy crouched by the pond and held out his hand. The tiny, razor-sharp teeth sunk into his finger, but Teddy shook the creature off easily.
Hearing a shout from inside the house, Teddy looked up and saw Lily, Harry and Ginny’s only daughter, waving animatedly at him from her bedroom window. A moment later, the red-haired girl disappeared. After a few moments, the front door was wrenched open and the three Potter children ran out, careful not to slip on the leaves wet from the recent rain.
“Teddy!” Lily cried, jumping up. He caught her and she hugged him.
“How are you, Lily Luna?” He asked her, smiling.
“I don’t like your hair blond,” she said suddenly, frowning. “I like it better brown.”
Teddy smiled. “Good. So do I.” A moment later, it changed to the mousy-brown his father’s hair had been. “Better?”
Lily smiled now. “Much.”
Now her brothers were demanding attention from their god-brother, and he greeted them. 13-year-old James, with his disheveled black hair and brown eyes, was trying to show Teddy a new card trick his Uncle George had taught him; 12-year-old Albus was trying to tell him about how James almost demolished the house the night before.
“Teddy!” A woman’s voice came from the house. “Are you going to be staying for dinner again to tonight? We’re having steak.”
Ginny Potter was leaning in the doorway, smiling at the sight of her children hanging off the 19-year-old boy.
“Yeah, that’ll be great,” Teddy called back. “Grandmum is away, visiting a friend…”
“Medium rare, I take it?” Ginny added before going back inside.
“As always,” Teddy smiled back. Because his father had been a werewolf, Teddy inherited a few of his mannerisms, though he chose his meat a bit more cooked than his father had been said to, and his Uncle Bill, who had been attacked twenty years before — but not bitten — by the same werewolf that bit Remus.
After managing to shake Harry and Ginny’s children off, Teddy followed them into the house. The front hall’s only decoration was a framed photo — ever moving as per the Wizarding world’s customs — of Harry and Ginny, with Ron and Hermione Weasley. Ron was Harry’s best friend, and Ginny’s older brother. Hermione was Harry’s other best friend, and happened to be Ginny’s close friend. The photo had been taken at Ginny’s Hogwarts graduation party.
“Back again?”
The voice, as familiar to Teddy as the feel of his wand in his hand, belonged to his godfather. The Wizarding World’s hero, Harry Potter. Teddy looked up to see the handsome, black-haired man on the stairs.
“Unfortunately,” Teddy said, smiling slightly. Harry was seventeen years older than Teddy. He bore a very strong resemblance to Albus, except that the latter had no lightning-bolt scar on his forehead and no glasses.
“Bill’s coming over tonight,” Harry told him, coming down the stairs as he spoke. “He told me to tell you if you and Victorie just happen to be missing at the same time, you’ll wake up in the morning with your eyes, mouth, and hands blown off.”
Teddy rolled his eyes. “Bill’s always saying that, and he never does.”
“That’s because he only just caught you two snogging last week,” Harry pointed out.
Teddy shrugged. “All’s fair in love and war. Anyway, he knows we’re dating.”
Harry and his godson entered the kitchen, where Ginny was pointing her wand at a drawer. It flew open and several knives and forks flew out and set themselves perfectly on the table.
“Teddy, dear, will you add some chairs to the table for me?” Ginny asked over her shoulder as she flicked her wand at the potatoes, which began to peel themselves.
“Of course,” Teddy said, pulling out his wand. He muttered an incantation under his breath and the table expanded magically, adding space for six more people — Bill, Fleur (Bill’s wife), and their three children, Victorie and her younger sister and brother, Dominique and Louis. The sixth chair was for himself.
“Watch out,” Ginny said, and six more sets of knives and forks flew out and placed themselves neatly at the new places. Teddy glanced at Harry, and saw him watching Ginny fondly. Teddy had never dared to ask Harry about Cho Chang — a Seeker for the England National Quidditch team whom he knew Harry had briefly dated when he was fifteen. There had been an announcement in The Daily Prophet a week before that she was engaged to a Muggle named Robert Parryworth.
“Daaaaaaad!” Lily’s voice came from the upper floor. “Dad, James won’t tell me where he put my books! Daaaad!”
“James Sirius Potter, give your sister her books back now!” Harry yelled, but didn’t leave the kitchen. Ginny turned to look at him, a small smile on her face.
“She really is more like Hermione every day,” she said, shaking her head. “Honestly, Harry.”
“It’s not my fault!” Harry said, holding up his hands as if in defense. “Hermione’s more related to you than me.”
Ginny rolled her eyes and turned back to the sink as there was a whooshing sound in the fireplace and red-haired boy tumbled out. He was older than James by a year, with scraggly blond-red hair (as if trying to decide whether it would take after the Weasleys or Delacours respective trademark hair color) and bright blue eyes.
“Evening, Louis,” Ginny said, glancing up.
“Hi,” Louis said to no one in particular. He looked around, eyes wide as ever, and — not for the first time — they were all reminded of Neville. “Where’s James and Albus?”
“Up stairs,” Ginny told him. The boy promptly began his way into the hall when there was another whoosh and his older sister Dominique tumbled out.
“Hello!” She said as she straightened up, giving them a bright smile. She was fifteen and resembled her mother, Fleur, very much, with her long, silvery-blond hair. Her eyes were green, however, as if a sign that her blood was only one-eighth Veela. She, like her brother and Teddy, also had a fondness for a more undercooked meat — and not just because she was French.
“Can I help you with anything, Aunt Ginny?” Dominique asked, approaching the sink.
“Sure, but you’ll have to do it by hand…”
Teddy wasn’t paying attention to them anymore, because a third figure had come out of the fire. Victorie was tall and statuesque, and resembled her mother even more than Dominique, whose facial expressions bore a strong resemblance to both Ginny and Bill.
When she came out of the fire, notably with more grace than her siblings, Teddy only had eyes for her.
Unfortunatley, their moment of locked-eyes and unspoken affection that spun between them was broken when Bill stepped out of the fire. Victorie stumbled forward to help her sister and aunt while Teddy looked away, unwilling to meet what would inevitably be coldness in Bill’s eyes.
However, Ginny — sensing the tension — broke the silence. “I heard you’re going to study Ancient Runes with Haughty Coolridge?”
“Oh, yes,” Victorie said, realizing the diversion. “Yes, I am. I’m very excited.”
“You know Hermione took Ancient Runes,” Ginny told her. “You should ask her.”
“Hermione took every subject known to Wizard kind,” Bill said bluntly. “Fleur will be here in a few minutes,” he added.
There were pounding footsteps and James — being chased by Louis, Albus, and Lily — burst into the kitchen.
“Slow down!” Harry told them, catching James in the chest and stopping him. The other three ran into him. “What’s all this about?”
“Can’t we just go and play Quidditch?” James said, rolling his eyes.
“No, dinner’s about on,” Ginny said. At that moment, there was a crack like a whip and Fleur appeared in the middle of the kitchen. Ginny nodded slightly to her sister-in-law and Fleur went to sit with Bill.
“Come on,” Harry told his children and Louis. Grumbling about never being allowed to do what they wanted, the children sat down at the table with their parents, the Weasley girls, and Teddy.
After a few minutes of quiet chewing, Bill said, “Victorie is very interested in studying abroad this summer.” He seemed to look pointedly at Teddy while he spoke.
{continued in next post}

{continued from last post}
As Teddy opened his mouth to retort, Victorie cut in, “I said I might think about it.”
“It’s the same thing,” Bill shrugged. “What are you planning to do, Teddy?”
Teddy didn’t respond immediately. “I’m going to study to become an Auror.”
Bill surveyed him over his goblet as he drank. When he lowered it, he smiled. “Following in Tonks’s footsteps.”
Teddy nodded slightly. He hadn’t really known his mother, but they said she had been one of the best Aurors in the Ministry. As he reached for his own goblet he saw Ginny throw Bill a stern look.
“I’m going to the garden,” Teddy said suddenly. Victorie stood up too. Teddy almost grinned when Bill didn’t stop her.
The two of them sat in the back yard, listening to the snickers of gnomes and the small, almost inaudible chatter of the others inside.
“So…studying abroad?” Teddy asked blankly after a few moments.
Victorie looked at her hands in her lap. “I don’t know, Teddy. I think, maybe, it’s something to look into. I’m really, really interested in Ancient Runes, but I don’t know if I want to go to Egypt or not.”
Teddy didn’t look at her. “You could have at least told me you were thinking about it.” Victorie didn’t look at him, either, but now stared at the hedge across from them.
After a moment, she spoke. “Teddy, my dad’s the one calling all the shots. He doesn’t…I don’t think he wants us together.”
“Well he doesn’t have much of a choice, does he?” Teddy snapped.
“He’s the one who suggested me studying abroad,” she told him. “Dominique told me she heard him telling Mum he hopes I find some other student studying there and fall for him instead.”
Teddy felt his stomach tighten. “Does he now?”
Victorie turned to him, and looked at him pleadingly. “Don’t tell anyone, Ted. Please, don’t. I don’t know if Dominique is telling the truth or not, so don’t tell. Not even Uncle Harry.”
After a moment, Teddy nodded. “Fine. I won’t tell anyone.”
Victorie smiled at him. “Thanks. And you know I’ve never fallen for anyone but you.” She kissed his cheek and lay her head on his shoulder.
“I know,” he whispered, stroking her hair.

Back